DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: None right now
Rep:11
camoman214 is on a distinguished road
Default Update 02-19-2012

Okay, here's the latest on my high engine idle problem. Within the past few days I took off the throttle body, removed all the sensors connected to it and cleaned it completely. I cleaned the butterflies and even in the IAC hole. I then replaced the IAC valve again (suspecting it was defective), replaced the TPS sensor, replaced the throttle body to intake gasket and replaced the PCV valve (it was cracked). I again looked for any apparent bad vacuum hoses. I put the throttle body back on, hooked up all the sensors and cranked it over... now the truck idles even higher... at 2700 rpm.

Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4X2
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Donmega884 is on a distinguished road

How is your acceleration?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Well now that you mention it, the acceleration is rather sluggish compared to what it used to be.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok first of all stop throwing money at your problems. You need to identify the source of the problem. Is your CEL on? Are your plugs and wires newer? Have you have a compression test? Fuel pressure test? How many miles on the truck? Might be the Cat converter??? Be absolutely sure before buying a new part. Most parts can be cleaned up and thrown back in.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega884 View Post
Ok first of all stop throwing money at your problems. You need to identify the source of the problem. Is your CEL on? Are your plugs and wires newer? Have you have a compression test? Fuel pressure test? How many miles on the truck? Might be the Cat converter??? Be absolutely sure before buying a new part. Most parts can be cleaned up and thrown back in.
CEL was on and code was an IAC malfunction, which is why I replaced the IAC sensor. I cleared the code to see if would repeat, but it hasn't just yet. I don't know the age of the plugs and wires, but they don't seem like the cause of high engine idle. Fuel pressure was tested and is normal. Possibly the cat, but I don't know how to check it.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

http://youtu.be/IzyvL5tQLzU

http://youtu.be/5icTmYItwiE

These videos will show you how to check the cat and if its dirty how to clean it. If you can't be sure when the last time you replaced the plug and wires you should replace them. You would be surprised the problems associated with a bad wire or plug.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Ok first of all stop throwing money at your problems. You need to identify the source of the problem.
Quote:
If you can't be sure when the last time you replaced the plug and wires you should replace them. You would be surprised the problems associated with a bad wire or plug.
First you told me not to throw money at my problems. Now you want me to replace plugs and wires to see if that fixes anything? That seems like throwing money at it without identifiying the problem. lol

I didn't know the last time the sensors were replaced either, and being that they were only a few bucks, I replaced them to be sure.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

You said "I don't remember" when asked how old the plugs and wires were. The book calls for them to be changed every 30,000 miles. When is the last time you had a tune-up?? Your obviously guessing wrong about your "ideas" and have little knowledge about high idle.. First get a "tune up" which would be new wires and plugs and new air filter if dirty etc etc... Are you still with me????? Then if you still have high idle grab a can of car cleaner and spray around the intanke, throttle body all the vacuum lines but be careful not too drench the engine and try to do it when the engine is cold.... If you hear a high pitch sound or change in the rpms you found the leak. IF you did not find a leak or the tune up did not work well then maybe your gonna start to check into other things such as the cat etc etc. Why ask questions if your not willing to learn???? You must not assume you know the problem unless you can prove it.. Got it Skip?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You said "I don't remember" when asked how old the plugs and wires were. The book calls for them to be changed every 30,000 miles. When is the last time you had a tune-up?? Your obviously guessing wrong about your "ideas" and have little knowledge about high idle.. First get a "tune up" which would be new wires and plugs and new air filter if dirty etc etc... Are you still with me????? Then if you still have high idle grab a can of car cleaner and spray around the intanke, throttle body all the vacuum lines but be careful not too drench the engine and try to do it when the engine is cold.... If you hear a high pitch sound or change in the rpms you found the leak. IF you did not find a leak or the tune up did not work well then maybe your gonna start to check into other things such as the cat etc etc. Why ask questions if your not willing to learn???? You must not assume you know the problem unless you can prove it.. Got it Skip?
You contradicted yourself by telling me not to do one thing and then telling me to do it. So, basically you were wrong about informing me not to throw money at it, because now you decide it's okay. lol Oh and I've learned a lot from these forums. The most important thing I've learned is to not throw money at a problem until you have solved that problem. I didn't buy a new engine 'cause it was idling high, I bought a few sensors that were reported bad by the OBD scan. Seems logical to me. Who's Skip?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

OK, Congratulations your truck probably has an even higher idle since you started tinkering with it. Nice Work

*If you listen you might learn something*