DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: None right now
Rep:11
camoman214 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega884 View Post
OK, Congratulations your truck probably has an even higher idle since you started tinkering with it. Nice Work

*If you listen you might learn something*
Well, you're right about that. What started out as a 1700 rpm high idle is now a 2700 rpm idle. Thanks for the compliment on my work. I don't get many of those, but I can tell you see my talents.

I am listening, Skip is your name right? But Skip, when you preach one thing and then teach another, your methods and reliability tend to fall apart. I do sense your frustration. I'm sorry this thread got you all worked up.

Last edited by camoman214; 02-20-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1987 Dodge Power Ram
Trim Level: Power Ram
Color: Green
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
darcylee79 is on a distinguished road

Just a suggestion, but a coolant temp sensor will cause high idle when it goes, and sometimes will not throw a code. Not the sensor that runs the gauge but the other one. If you know someone with a good live data scanner they can check to see if it is the sensor. Let me know how ya make out.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4X2
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Donmega884 is on a distinguished road

No frustration here My truck runs perfect
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Getting a "Tune Up" is not throwing money at a problem. It's what people do that want their trucks to last for a long time. You obviously didn't do that or since you don't "remember" when they were changed probably never did them in the first place. You say your car is sluggish... Well that is a sign that you might need new plugs and wires, and since you haven't replaced them might as well do it now. I guess since you been having this problem for so long your not the sharpest tool in the shed so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I see you like to ask every forum dodge has to offer about your problems. I have had similar problems with other cars and high idle. Let me explain this for you.... A vehicle must breath in and be able to breath out to run properly. I have a solution for you Skip Just take the truck to the dealer and pay them. I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make it drink. Best of luck to ya SKIP
Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcylee79 View Post
Just a suggestion, but a coolant temp sensor will cause high idle when it goes, and sometimes will not throw a code. Not the sensor that runs the gauge but the other one. If you know someone with a good live data scanner they can check to see if it is the sensor. Let me know how ya make out.
Hey thanks darcylee79. I'll check that out. That sounds more like the problem and solution than the spark plugs and wires.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega884 View Post
Getting a "Tune Up" is not throwing money at a problem. It's what people do that want their trucks to last for a long time. You obviously didn't do that or since you don't "remember" when they were changed probably never did them in the first place. You say your car is sluggish... Well that is a sign that you might need new plugs and wires, and since you haven't replaced them might as well do it now. I guess since you been having this problem for so long your not the sharpest tool in the shed so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I see you like to ask every forum dodge has to offer about your problems. I have had similar problems with other cars and high idle. Let me explain this for you.... A vehicle must breath in and be able to breath out to run properly. I have a solution for you Skip Just take the truck to the dealer and pay them. I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make it drink. Best of luck to ya SKIP
I've only had this truck for a few months, so it's all new to me. Hell, the plugs and wires could be 50 miles old for all I know. So, why not throw some money at it? I say it's sluggish, but maybe that's just because the idle is so high that the power band is wrapped out. I don't need to take my truck to a dealership because there are members on this forum and other forums that are willing to help and have the proper knowledge, unlike yourself. I hope you can eventually get your horse to drink the water, wouldn't want you to kill it. Honestly, it's fun waiting for your response to see how you're going to prove how much smarter you are than me. But you don't need to chime in anymore because I'm done reading your ideas.

-Skip

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

You should just sell the truck and get a Prius, before you do anymore damage. You don't belong in a truck! Stop being a POSER SKIP!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

"I say it's sluggish, but maybe that's just because the idle is so high that the power band is wrapped out" LOL boy o boy your light years away from your problem
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoman214 View Post
1999 Ram, 5.9L, auto, 4x4

I just replaced the IAC valve on my truck 'cause it wouldn't idle and figured the IAC was bad. Now the truck idles at 1800 rpm and I can't get it to idle down to normal. I did the proper IAC adjustment which calls for driving at 40 mph to allow ECM to learn the setting. I unhooked the battery for a few days hoping it would reset the ECM, that didn't work. I took the NEW IAC back to the parts store and exchanged it for another one, still idles at 1800. What else should I check? I didn't see any vacuum leaks.

Thanks for your help.

A high idle is usually caused by a bad intake manifold gasket or a broken vaccum line. You can't "see" vaccum leaks, you pretty much have to check the lines visually. That also means pulling the protective cover. Good start is to check the torque on the intak manifold bolts. They do come loose.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
A high idle is usually caused by a bad intake manifold gasket or a broken vaccum line. You can't "see" vaccum leaks, you pretty much have to check the lines visually. That also means pulling the protective cover. Good start is to check the torque on the intak manifold bolts. They do come loose.
Cool, thanks panhead. I will have some time this weekend to check all this out and I'll update whatever I find out.