DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
dougsautos is on a distinguished road
Question Need Help in Minnesota

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me on this. I have a 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7. About a year ago we started to notice that when the truck is cold (sits overnight) when you go to start it, the starter will kick on for a second, then just stops cranking, if you cycle the ignition, it will do it again for just a second, sometimes taking several tries to finally get the starter to continue spinning until the engine starts. In the cold of winter the problem is far worse, sometimes it simply will not stay engaged long enough to start the engine. Now the interesting part, if i plug in the block heater, the starter will engage as designed and the engine will start right up! I have replaced the starter, battery, ignition switch, tested the starter relay, and consulted with a couple Mopar Mechanics locally, and everyone is left scratching their heads. Does anybody have any thoughts on a sensor or anything that would be getting "preheated" by plugging in the block heater?
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:11
LEW is on a distinguished road

Since the starter works when the temp is up, it sounds mechanical to me. Even though you changed the starter, it could be that the "bendix" (the mechanism that drives the pinion forward into the flywheel) could be sticking/dragging at low temp. Or the new starter could be defective - I chased a problem for months after replacing the fuel pump on an OLD Mustang and finally found the replacement was bad. I didn't buy the OEM replacement. Before getting a new starter, I'd check to see if the bendix is free - spray cleaner and lubricant on the mechanism.

Another possibility is that one of the LARGE cables going to the starter from the battery has high resistance (which would be worse in cold weather). I also had a problem on an old car with the ground cable being loose on the block (the bolt was still in, but it wasn't tight). The starter would work fine - intermittently. Could be "bad" connection of either of these cables anywhere between the battery and the starter.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dode Ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: blue
medic7994 is on a distinguished road

Holy crap I have the EXACT same problem we live in Manitoba, Canada same climate. Ours started acting up last winter as well, if cold have to cycle the key repeatedly or plug it in for a while totally strange. I have had the fuse panel replaced new keys and flashed changed air temp sensor, crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor mass air flow sensor ignition module and checked all grounds. Our local Dodge dealer isn't any help with multiple labor hours still can't figure it out. So now we are trying to figure out do we change the ECM? have you had any answers since your post or tried anything that has worked?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dode Ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: blue
medic7994 is on a distinguished road

up date on cold start ..... r & r ecm works great !!!