DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Rumpelhardt is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions to show my ignorance of late model vehicles in general....

....and Dodge trucks in particular.
First question. What did Dodge change to boost the h.p. of the Hemi from the 345 in my 2005 to the 390 in the new ones?
Second what is the difference between the SLT package I have and the "Off Road" package? I presume it is more than some decals.
Third. Can a switch be added to deactivate the airbags when off roading? I understand their necessity for safety on the highway but can foresee some great excitement in certain off road situations.
Thanks for your time
Bob
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Rep:10
p71 is on a distinguished road

TRX/Outdoorsman has different shocks/struts, fender flares, and skid plates.
The front sits about an inch higher than the SLT.
Airbags cannot be deactivated. I have beat the snot out of trucks offroad and never had an airbag go off.
The new hemi has a different valve train with variable valve timing... think of it as the equivalent of having two cam shafts... one for low RPM when you need torque and another for high RPM when you want horsepower (and no it does not have two physical camshafts, it just allows the camshaft to change its timing orientation with respect to the crank, and thus when the valves open and close during the combustion cycle based on RPM).
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
Second what is the difference between the SLT package I have and the "Off Road" package? I presume it is more than some decals.

If you start shopping for a new Ram don't even bother looking at the badge on the truck, read the window sticker for details!!! When I was shopping for my truck I looked at many Big Horn editions, and most of them were equipped differently, same for TRX, SLT and st models.
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats