DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: The Best Color - Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
teenRam is on a distinguished road
Default How To Lower It 3/5

I currently have the Mcgaughy 2/4 economy kit for my 2009 CC. I would like it just a tad lower. I was thinking maybe a 3/5. Is there anyway I can do that with the kit I have now? Maybe cut a coil off the springs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

You can cut coils to make it lower, I was wanting to add McG spindles to my belltech kit to get 4" in the front and shorter coils in the back for 5-6"
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

There are three types of coil springs, and only one type is "safe" to cut. Sure you can cut any coil spring and it may be ok for some time but it is not generally accepted as safe. The three types are tangential, square, and pigtail. The only type that can be safely cut are tangential. In another case though square types can sometimes be cut safely, depending on whether or not they are progressive or not. For example, the stock RT springs I know for example are progressive square type, and can safely be cut up to a certain point. Here check out this page it has some good info:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/cuttingcoilsprings.html

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
You can cut coils to make it lower, I was wanting to add McG spindles to my belltech kit to get 4" in the front and shorter coils in the back for 5-6"
Man how much lower do you want to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak
There are three types of coil springs, and only one type is "safe" to cut. Sure you can cut any coil spring and it may be ok for some time but it is not generally accepted as safe. The three types are tangential, square, and pigtail. The only type that can be safely cut are tangential. In another case though square types can sometimes be cut safely, depending on whether or not they are progressive or not. For example, the stock RT springs I know for example are progressive square type, and can safely be cut up to a certain point. Here check out this page it has some good info:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/cuttingcoilsprings.html
Are the Mcgaughy springs Tangential?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Are the Mcgaughy springs Tangential?
I don't know, post a picture and I can tell you. I haven't looked at the stock front springs so can't comment on the fronts. The stock rears on my quad cab were pigtail at the bottom and square at the top. I picked up a set of RT springs (which are also pigtail at the bottom and square at the top) and used them to cut. The reason they are safe (not technically, but close enough) to cut is because they are progressive springs and at the top (near the square end) the coils wind tighter and tighter, and are almost square for the first about 2 whole coils or so.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I don't know, post a picture and I can tell you. I haven't looked at the stock front springs so can't comment on the fronts. The stock rears on my quad cab were pigtail at the bottom and square at the top. I picked up a set of RT springs (which are also pigtail at the bottom and square at the top) and used them to cut. The reason they are safe (not technically, but close enough) to cut is because they are progressive springs and at the top (near the square end) the coils wind tighter and tighter, and are almost square for the first about 2 whole coils or so.
I'm not home right now, but I'll post a pic once I get back to the states next week. Thanks for the input
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I want a 4/6 drop with 31" tires....285/40/22s