DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: QC Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
BBRam is on a distinguished road

Changing the oil and filter on these trucks is a breeze, made even easier by using a K&N filter and replacing the drain plug with a Fumoto valve. 10 minutes tops, start to finish. Nothing but Amsoil.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Razorback is on a distinguished road

My local dealer is running a 4 oil & filter change deal for $80, good at any Chrysler dealer for 2 yrs. I'm assuming it's a nationwide pro-mo. At that price you can afford to change it a little early.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

The dealer I purchased my Ram offers $9.95 oil changes. If it weren't for the 2-3 hour wait at the dealer, I'd go for it.

I'm using Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Motorcraft FL820s filter and changing every 6K miles.

The Fumoto valve sounds like a good idea, but I really don't have an issue with the factory drain plug. It's the mess taking off the oil filter that is a pain in the rear.

Darin
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
micar71 is on a distinguished road

I have always changed my own oil until I bought my current truck. During the "wheeling & dealing" I was able to talk them down lower than I had ever imagined. But the stipulation was I had to purchase a service contract (the salesman gets "cudo" points for pushing additional purchases), and I still made out like a BANDIT!!! With that said, it drives me freak'n nuts that i'm not changing my own oil! SNRUSNAK, I couldn't agree more. The oil change on my 4.7 would be insanely fast. I have never seen an oil filter so accessable on a truck. But since I paid, I have to bring it in to the dealer for the oil change, and man, it takes a while. I HIGHLY encourage you to change your own oil and you will catch yourself doing what all guys do, and that is laying on your back and looking at every part/component.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I HIGHLY encourage you to change your own oil and you will catch yourself doing what all guys do, and that is laying on your back and looking at every part/component.
There's a lot of pretty parts under there

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
If you are going to do it once a year, I'd use the OE, or the XL at the most. No need to spend the extra couple bucks per qt when it's not needed, the OE and XL is still great stuff.
Honestly I don't think the OE is worth the price. If I'm going to change the oil at the manufacturer timetable I believe any oil will do. I run the Sigmature series and change it 2x a year which is the recommendation for towing a lot. I also run a remote bypass filter set up which increases capacity to almost 9 quarts. The cost is about $100 twice a year (I drive 20,000 miles a year) vs about $60 six times a year.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: QC Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
BBRam is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about adding 1 of those remote bypass filter setups, because I too drive over 20k miles a year (as evidenced by the sand-blasted front of my truck), and I figured in addition to the extra filtration I could make the filter(s) more accessible, although the factory location really isn't bad at all. What kind setup do you have?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Honestly I don't think the OE is worth the price. If I'm going to change the oil at the manufacturer timetable I believe any oil will do. I run the Sigmature series and change it 2x a year which is the recommendation for towing a lot. I also run a remote bypass filter set up which increases capacity to almost 9 quarts. The cost is about $100 twice a year (I drive 20,000 miles a year) vs about $60 six times a year.
Well I'm getting the OE at the same price as conventional from the store, so it's worth it IMO. I spent $150 on 2 WIX filters and 12 qts of OE for my truck and 3 WIX filters and 12 qts of OE for my wife's car. That will last about 1 year for my truck (2 changes at about 5-7k miles a change) and about 1.5 years for my wife's car (3 changes at about 10k miles a change). It comes out to about $30 an oil change for my truck, twice a year. Comes out cheaper on the wife's car, probably closer to $20 a change. Sure you can get cheaper oil changes, but not with good oil.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
SilverHemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverHemi

i bought my truck used at about 80k miles now so im not sure if there using synthetic oil so my question is will it hurt it to change to a synthetic oil now if it hasnt bee nusing that oil since 05? and ive always been a castrol man.... any comments regarding castrol

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 AM

There is no harm switching to synthetic at high mileage. All the bad stuff you hear is just myths. I switched my s10 at over 100,000 miles and never a problem. Castrol makes a good synthetic from what I hear.