DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 4x4
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:12
Steffenaj14 is on a distinguished road
Default New member with Transmission Problems

Hey everyone I am Anthony and I live in Northern Ky just south of Cincinnati. So i just bought my truck yesterday and it is a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.2 318 engine. It's got 130,000 miles. I will post some pics when i get it cleaned up a bit. (the previous owner decided to give me a completely dirty and nasty truck) But I did a straight trade for my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege with the 2.0 turbo engine. (pretty rare and extremely fun car) But i actually cleaned mine lol.

Anyways, I bought it knowing it had some tranny problems. He had taken it to a dealer who had told him that it would need a shift solenoid and a governor pressure switch or something like that. now i am 19 years old and don't know much about transmissions. But after driving the truck around for a day I have realized that it has trouble shifting out of first gear. but thats only after i am at a complete stop. usually if i roll through a stop sign it shifts okay. another thing i have noticed is that it almost feels like i'm pulling a heavy load. it kinda just feels heavy. i've driven other v8's and other big trucks and it just feels like its got a load. and the other problem is when going up hills it sometimes either downshifts to first or looses it's gear and revs really high.(i cant tell because when the rpm's shoot up i let off the gas) what my plan is, is i'm going to go through the transmission and trying to fix/rebuild the problem spots now before anything else has time to break because i know dodge and their transmission problems. so any advice on what to look for/what to replace or fix would be extremely helpful.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffenaj14 View Post
Hey everyone I am Anthony and I live in Northern Ky just south of Cincinnati. So i just bought my truck yesterday and it is a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.2 318 engine. It's got 130,000 miles. I will post some pics when i get it cleaned up a bit. (the previous owner decided to give me a completely dirty and nasty truck) But I did a straight trade for my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege with the 2.0 turbo engine. (pretty rare and extremely fun car) But i actually cleaned mine lol.

Anyways, I bought it knowing it had some tranny problems. He had taken it to a dealer who had told him that it would need a shift solenoid and a governor pressure switch or something like that. now i am 19 years old and don't know much about transmissions. But after driving the truck around for a day I have realized that it has trouble shifting out of first gear. but thats only after i am at a complete stop. usually if i roll through a stop sign it shifts okay. another thing i have noticed is that it almost feels like i'm pulling a heavy load. it kinda just feels heavy. i've driven other v8's and other big trucks and it just feels like its got a load. and the other problem is when going up hills it sometimes either downshifts to first or looses it's gear and revs really high.(i cant tell because when the rpm's shoot up i let off the gas) what my plan is, is i'm going to go through the transmission and trying to fix/rebuild the problem spots now before anything else has time to break because i know dodge and their transmission problems. so any advice on what to look for/what to replace or fix would be extremely helpful.
I would look into adjusting the kickdown band, if still no good then contact me and I can help you bit more. I rebuild them so, many people on here would jump to something other then bands but, most people don't really even know about the bands, that and I don't want to talk trans tech lingo and scare you away.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 318
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Rep:10
Wilsonation91 is on a distinguished road

lol. I'm in the same boat. I was told the same thing you were, but then what do I know? haha. I wont be able to get under the truck to work on the transmission for a little while considering the cold weather where I live and not having a garage to park the truck in. Let me know what ends up fixing your transmission issue. I would appreciate it greatly.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation91 View Post
lol. I'm in the same boat. I was told the same thing you were, but then what do I know? haha. I wont be able to get under the truck to work on the transmission for a little while considering the cold weather where I live and not having a garage to park the truck in. Let me know what ends up fixing your transmission issue. I would appreciate it greatly.
The thing about the 46RE and 46RH is just that the E series uses electronic pressure sensors for the governor while the H uses a hydraulic governor. The two transmissions are pretty much identical, even the parts are interchange, except for the valve body and the extension housing. But the hard parts, same. The gear ratios are the same and the shift pattern is the same, the band and clutch operation is the same. Usually if one of those electronic parts does fail it's going to trigger a engine light code. And sometimes it won't but you will certainly know it.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

also just found out that the transmission pan is leaking tranny fluid. the pan itself looks like its in rough condition by the outside. maybe a gasket and seal kit would fix that issue.

also what engine oil do you all suggest?

ramvan2500 as far as what you said about the kickdown band.. will you help me out with that. where is it located and how do i adjust it? what does it do?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
also just found out that the transmission pan is leaking tranny fluid. the pan itself looks like its in rough condition by the outside. maybe a gasket and seal kit would fix that issue.

also what engine oil do you all suggest?

ramvan2500 as far as what you said about the kickdown band.. will you help me out with that. where is it located and how do i adjust it? what does it do?
The pans actually tend to leak because the bell housing is aluminum and with the heat the bolts seem to loosen them selves. Anyway's get a filter kit they come with the pan gasket so 2 in 1. Advanced auto has one for 5.99 Pro-King brand part number FK-119. I replaced my filter and gasket after rear band adjustment.

I doubt that replacing the pan gasket and topping off the fluid is going to help but many problems can trace to fluid level.

I have always used Valvoline, though I have tried others and even tried the different types of Valvoline oils. I use Valvoline for everything, axle, transmission, brakes, the works. It's been around for a long time and works great!

The kickdown band is a flexible metal band lined with friction material, the band is wrapped around a drum known as the front drum which houses frictions and steels which make up the front clutch. The purpose of this band is to hold the front drum in place during 2nd gear operation. If the front drum also known as the direct drum is help in place it also holds the sun shell in place because the front drum is interconnected to the sun shell, the sun shell houses the sun gear which is also interlocked to the shell. The sun gear is then placed into the rear planet and the front planet is placed onto the front of the sun gear. Now, if the front band is applied it will stop the front drum from spinning which would also stop the sun shell from spinning and the sun gear would then be stationary, this would have an effect on the gear ratio. How it has an effect is based on the principles of the planetary gear, if you have a certain part of the gear held stationary you can make the output spin in a different direction as the input thus reverse gear, you also can have the output speed be either faster or slower then the input speed.

The whole purpose of the kickdown is really so you can have a 2nd gear. The kickdown though is also for acceleration purposes. If you floor it while in 3rd gear for example you would put less strain on the engine if the transmission kicks down to 2nd gear then if you stayed in 3rd gear.

Now for adjustment. Bare with me!

Ok the adjusting nut is located on the driver side of the transmission. When looking at the driver side of the transmission you are going to see a cluster of shift linkage and then behind that linkage above the transmission cooler line output you will see a stud that will have either a square head or a torx head, and their will be a regular nut that is screwed onto it.

What you need to do is loosen that nut I believe a 3/4" Socket is the size. Once that is loosened then you can tighten the adjusting stud by turning it clockwise. Using a inch lb torque wrench torque that stud to 72 inch lbs exactly. Then turn the stud counterclockwise exactly 3 and 1/4 rotations. Then holding the stud finger tighten the nut. Then take your 3/4" socket and torque the locknut to 25 ft/lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench for the locknut then just tighten it wrist tight with a little extra force, tighten it to you can tighten it much but be careful.

You would normally back the stud 2 and 7/8 turns however when you go to tighten the locknut the stud will move with the nut and have an effect on the adjustment of the band.

That's it kickdown band all adjusted. You need to adjust the band every 20K miles if you tow with the vehicle, if you are a casual driver then you only need to adjust the band every 35-50 K miles depends on how you drive. The rear band doesn't need to be adjusted often because you use your drive range alot more often then you do reverse or manual 1st gear.

To adjust the rear band it's the same procedure except you band the adjustment stud 2 turn instead of 3 1/4. To adjust this band move over to the passenger side of the transmission and remove the fluid pan, then on look for an arm with a stud and locknut. And goes without saying now.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 01-15-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

wow thank you i couldn't ask for a better description. I will have lots of questions for you lol. so you think that adjusting those will fix the problem? what i'm noticing is that when i come to a complete stop and start to go again it starts in second gear. if i am on a hill and need it to start in first then i have to put it in 2nd gear or neutral and then put it back into drive and it starts in second.

another thing that kind of has me worried. it won't go into park now. it'll go through every gear but when i try to put it in park it won't go. i tried using a lot of force and it just refuses to go into park. and since it won't go into park the key wont turn all the way to the off position therefore i have to leave the key in the truck because it won't come out unless its in the off position. so right now its in neutral with the e brake on and the key in the ignition. the radio isn't on so im hoping it doesnt drain my battery but i think it might. it beeps when i open the door to tell me its in the ignition still. but idk what to do about that.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
wow thank you i couldn't ask for a better description. I will have lots of questions for you lol. so you think that adjusting those will fix the problem? what i'm noticing is that when i come to a complete stop and start to go again it starts in second gear. if i am on a hill and need it to start in first then i have to put it in 2nd gear or neutral and then put it back into drive and it starts in second.

another thing that kind of has me worried. it won't go into park now. it'll go through every gear but when i try to put it in park it won't go. i tried using a lot of force and it just refuses to go into park. and since it won't go into park the key wont turn all the way to the off position therefore i have to leave the key in the truck because it won't come out unless its in the off position. so right now its in neutral with the e brake on and the key in the ignition. the radio isn't on so im hoping it doesnt drain my battery but i think it might. it beeps when i open the door to tell me its in the ignition still. but idk what to do about that.
No adjusting the band isn't going to help it go back to 1st gear. If you have a problem with the transmission down shifting to 1st gear then you are going to probably rebuild the transmission. Normally when you put the transmission into drive it is already in 1st gear then it will shift into 2nd then 3rd then 4th gear overdrive. When downshifting it's the reverse procedure. How do you know that it's not starting out in first? Meaning what are you doing to determine that it's not starting out in 1st gear.

Their shouldn't be any problems with it shifting into park if you can't with the shift lever then you might need to adjust the cable linkage, worst case is the park paw inside the extension housing is seized.

I am more then happy to answer any questions. I will try my best to answer them as best I can so you can understand what I'm saying. Things can sound very technical, but it's sliced bread once you do it.

If you really didn't start out in first gear then the transmission is probably shot.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i will have to really pay attention next time i drive it. but the way i know is that it feels like its second gear. ya know? like if you're driving a manual transmission and you start in second gear it starts slow with not a lot of pickup or torque like first will have. and i am familiar with cars and working on them. i can understand a lot of what you're saying but i do appreciate the dumbed down version because i don't have a ton of experience. i have done my fair share of work on cars though. do you think that the shift solenoid has anything to do with that?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

right after i got it