DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffenaj14 View Post
i just left aamco transmissions. i told them everything thats going on and had one of the guys drive it to feel it. he said it's slipping from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. it is also starting in 2nd gear when at a stop. but if you need it to start in 1st gear you have to shift into "2" and back into "drive" and it will start in 1st. we put it on the scanner and there were no codes. the check engine light is not on. but it said it had transmission hydraulic problems.

any input??
Other then ammco not being the best choice to have a transmission rebuilt. Anyways the 2-3 slip is probably due to the direct drum inner lip seal, the seal didn't protrude from the grove enough to seal the piston, many chrysler 46-48 transmissions were effected, my transmission was even one of them. though I didn't have a 2-3 slip, I had a delayed 2-3 shift. the slipping 1-2 is probably because of a toasted clutch pack. connecting a scanner isn't going to tell you anything about the transmission because the torque flites 46-48 are all hydrualicly shifted, the E series have an electronic governor, the H series uses a hydraulic gov, other then that diagnostics is old fashioned. my input, if you want to have it rebuilt, I would be more then happy to rebuild it for you. But I think it would be best to rebuild the valve body first because it's possible you have a clogged valve in the VB that would prevent a shift, in fact many shift issues are related to a valve body malfunction. Same deal, if you want to, you can remove your valve body and send it to me and I will rebuild the valve body. I will rebuild the valve body for 50 bucks labor, cheaper then anyone will rebuild one. The turn around time would be about 1-2 days. One way or another your going to have to rebuild the valve body.

Just let me know, as far as diagnosing the problem their can only be so much done without taking the transmission apart.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
yeah after talking to my trustworthy mechanic it looks like the best route to go is getting a jasper transmission dropping me down about 2600.

so much for an even trade
I can rebuild your transmission for ALOT less, like 500 bucks labor and depending on the condition of the hard parts, 500-700 bucks in parts.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:12
Steffenaj14 is on a distinguished road

as far as that goes as to you rebuilding my tranny.. and i mean this in a respectful way. i dont know you. i have no idea who you are. for all i know you could be a dude that is reading through a manual telling me all these things for advice that just wants my 500 bucks. on the other hand you could be a very well qualified and experienced transmission expert who does this for a living. idk anything about you. i MAY have my valve body taken out and sent to you though. being that its only 50 bucks i think i can trust you with my 50 bucks.

as of now the truck is being towed to my well known mechanic who we've taken our cars to for years. he is going to pull the transmission and take a look at everything. the reason its getting towed is because it won't come out of drive now. he thinks the the clutch has melted together from all the burning of tranny fluid. and now the lack of tranny fluid.

i personally would rather have a completely new transmission because i do not trust dodge transmissions. a jasper is a very good transmission and i have heard good things about other people putting them in their vehicles. instead of taking the risk of something failing that we didn't get to in the rebuild.

like i said, ramvan2500 you have helped a ton and given a lot of information but like you said you can only do so much before actually pulling the tranny out of the truck. and like i said i think that i am willing to pay to have a completely new tranny to prevent any and all problems for the next 100,000 miles.

if i have any other questions i will certainly ask you personally. is there any way that i can give you rep credit? i will gladly do so.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

also i am doing the new transmission now because it is stuck in drive. it won't start unless it's in neutral or park. well it goes in D, 2, and 1. it wont go any higher than Drive. therefore it won't even start. i have to get it towed to the shop and i'm just going to fix everything now.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
as far as that goes as to you rebuilding my tranny.. and i mean this in a respectful way. i dont know you. i have no idea who you are. for all i know you could be a dude that is reading through a manual telling me all these things for advice that just wants my 500 bucks. on the other hand you could be a very well qualified and experienced transmission expert who does this for a living. idk anything about you. i MAY have my valve body taken out and sent to you though. being that its only 50 bucks i think i can trust you with my 50 bucks.

as of now the truck is being towed to my well known mechanic who we've taken our cars to for years. he is going to pull the transmission and take a look at everything. the reason its getting towed is because it won't come out of drive now. he thinks the the clutch has melted together from all the burning of tranny fluid. and now the lack of tranny fluid.

i personally would rather have a completely new transmission because i do not trust dodge transmissions. a jasper is a very good transmission and i have heard good things about other people putting them in their vehicles. instead of taking the risk of something failing that we didn't get to in the rebuild.

like i said, ramvan2500 you have helped a ton and given a lot of information but like you said you can only do so much before actually pulling the tranny out of the truck. and like i said i think that i am willing to pay to have a completely new tranny to prevent any and all problems for the next 100,000 miles.

if i have any other questions i will certainly ask you personally. is there any way that i can give you rep credit? i will gladly do so.
Well I certainly didn't think anyone would say here is x amount of bucks and my transmission fix it. Count yourself lucky you have a dodge, dodge transmission are really the only ones that give you the ability to look at the internal condition without having to remove the whole transmission, except the clutches of course.

If you want your valve body rebuilt it's up to you, I'm more then happy to do it. Like I said it's your transmission your money all your choice.

Rep credit I don't like asking for any, use your best judgement.

Jasper does a good job, they are the company who Chrysler has contracted to do their rebuilds actually. But if you really want to you can rebuild it yourself, this is the best route because it's gives you a really profound knowledge, so then if your driving down the road and your transmission acts funny you are probably going to have a better idea of what is out of wack. Rebuilding them is easy, I do it in my sleep. You need tools of course simple tools nothing extreme. But it can be done in a matter of days. The best part of having it rebuilt by a small mom pop shop or individual and most certainly yourself is you have the ability to put what you want into it, so if you want lets say red eagles instead of raybestos you got it.

Like I said I am always happy to help. Is the transmission stuck in drive as in the shift selector or is the transmission actually stuck in drive and it will only move forward?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
also i am doing the new transmission now because it is stuck in drive. it won't start unless it's in neutral or park. well it goes in D, 2, and 1. it wont go any higher than Drive. therefore it won't even start. i have to get it towed to the shop and i'm just going to fix everything now.
Well the transmission can only start in park and neutral it's not allowed to start in any other gear. I'm serious it's sounds like your valve body is malfunctioning. It's the hydraulic brains and controls everything. If it runs fine in 2nd gear manual then it should be able to do it in Drive, however 1st gear manual uses the rear band which 1st gear drive doesn't. So if you don't have a 1st gear drive it can be yes valve body because the valve body will control the flow of hudraulic fluid to the rear clutch to give you drive 1st, but also you can have a band rear clutch. It sounds like the valve body is probably busted, you could have a scored valve which is not uncommon. The clutch packs won't melt together, they will warp though if heated enough. Their are also many fail safes, the valve body has these check balls that prevent fluid from traveling to a clutch or a servo during a certain gear, if the ball wares then fluid will flow to said clutch or servo and you can bind or have no gear.

Tell me what your mechanic thinks. Replacement is a good way to go but it's too expensive.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i agree it is expensive but my plan initially was to go through everything because i know dodge and their transmission problems. so by doing everything now i am accomplishing my goal and will be at peace of mind. i will tell them to check the valve body. i have yet to talk to him yet.

also the lever just plain wont go into neutral therefor it wont start. so i cant check to see if it drives because it wont turn on cause its stuck in drive lol. as soon as i talk to my mechanic i'll let you guys know what he says.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
i agree it is expensive but my plan initially was to go through everything because i know dodge and their transmission problems. so by doing everything now i am accomplishing my goal and will be at peace of mind. i will tell them to check the valve body. i have yet to talk to him yet.

also the lever just plain wont go into neutral therefor it wont start. so i cant check to see if it drives because it wont turn on cause its stuck in drive lol. as soon as i talk to my mechanic i'll let you guys know what he says.
Chrysler transmissions are actually very well built, it's just many owners have a tendency to not use the chrysler fluid and also have a tendency to tow without the use of an external cooler along with periodic band adjustments which leads to slips binds and a dropped kickdown strut.

If it's stuck in drive it's probably because the drive body lol. The lever detent and everything is in the VB
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i am getting ready to call the mechanic to see what the problem is after he looked at everything. will let you know what he says
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

transmission is fried. hard parts are done.