DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Posey is on a distinguished road

We just brought home a 1998 1500 Sport with no reverse and a crazy shake in overdrive. The guy who had it before was a four wheeler. If you don't mind, could you walk me through how to check the reverse piston and the reverse band adjustment? And what do you think might cause the shake in overdrive? Thanks a ton!
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
We just brought home a 1998 1500 Sport with no reverse and a crazy shake in overdrive. The guy who had it before was a four wheeler. If you don't mind, could you walk me through how to check the reverse piston and the reverse band adjustment? And what do you think might cause the shake in overdrive? Thanks a ton!
Sure not a problem. Well to check the reverse servo you're going to need a supply of compressed air and a small air blower.

Parking brake on, wheels chocked, transmission in neutral.

Start out by removing the valve body, in order to do this you will have to remove the shift linkage, throttle linkage, then the linkage levers, then remove the neutral safety switch, disconnect any electronic connectors leading to the transmission except for the speed sensor of course.

Then place a large catch pan under the transmission oil pan, remove the bolts and let the fluid drain into the catch pan. Be sure to not contaminate the fluid if you plan on re-using it (if fluid is dirty and not red then replace fluid).

Ok with fluid out, remove the filter then remove the valve body by removing the bolts around the edge of the valve body there should be about 8 or so 1/4" bolts so use a 1/2" socket.

When removing the valve body use a soft mallet and hammer down on the OD/TCC connector because if you don't you may snap the connector when you pull the valve body out.

Also pay attention to the parking rod, you can disconnect the parking rod from the valve body by removing the e-clip or you can remove the valve body with the rod attached, I prefer to disconnect the rod from the valve body because it's a pain to put the rod back into the transmission.

Once the valve body is out set the pressure regulator gauge on your air tank to 15 PSI, this is all you will need to test the servo.

I will attach a file to show you where the test port is. You want to apply the air pressure to test port number 2 on the PDF I supplied you. The servo should protrude and compress the rear band.

If it works then the servo isn't leaking, if it doesn't work then it's leaking or is stuck.

OK That over with...

Now to adjust the rear band, just unscrew the locking nut but don't remove it. Then torque the adjuster, it should be a torx screw or a square end adjuster, you want to torque that to 72 inch lbs then back off 2 turns and then while holding the adjuster screw the locknut then torque the locknut to 25 ft-lbs.

Some things that will cause a no reverse are a broken Overdrive Direct Clutch (would cause your 4th gear vibration), a malfunction in the valve body (not likely in this situation), a burned out front clutch however you wouldn't have 3rd or 4th gear.

Any other questions just ask.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 46rhpressure.pdf (143.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks a ton, sir. Greatly appreciated.

(I have another thread in this forum, it's called PROJECT!!, but I'll post again here to keep you engaged. Because you're awesome and your help is invaluable.)

He dropped the pan today. He touched the lever on the reverse band and the strut plate fell right out. I'm guessing that was at least PART of the problem... He got it put back in (with much swearing), and began trying to adjust the reverse band. Big problem there... The adjustment screw won't go to 72 in lb. He tries to tighten it, and runs out of threads around 50 in lb. Bad reverse band? Misaligned adjustment screw? Bad torque wrench? I'm pretty confused by it right now.

I'll give you an update tomorrow, but he's really happy about the info you provided. We greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Thanks a ton, sir. Greatly appreciated.

(I have another thread in this forum, it's called PROJECT!!, but I'll post again here to keep you engaged. Because you're awesome and your help is invaluable.)

He dropped the pan today. He touched the lever on the reverse band and the strut plate fell right out. I'm guessing that was at least PART of the problem... He got it put back in (with much swearing), and began trying to adjust the reverse band. Big problem there... The adjustment screw won't go to 72 in lb. He tries to tighten it, and runs out of threads around 50 in lb. Bad reverse band? Misaligned adjustment screw? Bad torque wrench? I'm pretty confused by it right now.

I'll give you an update tomorrow, but he's really happy about the info you provided. We greatly appreciate it.
First off let me say it's not a problem at all, thank you very much for your kind words and if you ever need anything at all just ask I am am more than happy to help, more than happy.

I have had that issue with the socket slipping over the adjusting screw (so many times), there is nothing that can be done about that except the use of a crawfoot wrench or sometimes a 12-point socket works. But when all else fails use a crawfoot.

And yes trying to get the rear band strut plate back in can be a pain, it's hard even with an empty case let alone a fully assembled transmission.

I will look for that 'PROJECT' thread and keep an eye on that, but please keep me updated here as well just incase.

Be sure not to over tighten the band because it can cause some serious damage to the transmission, after everything has been adjusted to that pressure test to ensure proper operation.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

THE TRUCK GOES BACKWARDS!!! We're thrilled. He's out on a test run right now. Will report back on the overdrive issue.