DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough
Default Nerfed my wheels

I took my '12 Ram into the back country at the park I Volunteer at and in the process of going up a rutted rocky hill I nerfed my wheels. How come these up-leveled 4x4's don't come with decent looking steel wheels or at least have an option for it? Does anyone know if there are any after market steel wheels available? What other options are there? BTW, I have the 20" wheels and Goodsuck tires. Thanks-
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White/grey
Rep:11
DonJohnny is on a distinguished road

Yea all the truck except the outdoorsman come with 4 ply passenger tires. there are a lot of aftermarket steel wheels availeable... look for the bolt patteren 5x5.5 and get some 17" with a good set of bf goodritch, toyos, or nittos. my fave are the micky thompsons, but everone has a budget.

hope this helps, and congrats on the new truck

Check out my PinkBike profile
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

There are definitely steel wheels available! Like he said the bolt pattern is 5x5.5

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 11 2500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:14
tbeaton is on a distinguished road

its not the material of the wheels that is the problem but the size, a 20" wheel on stock tires doesn't give you much sidewall to fend off the rocks. steel wheels for on road vehicles are junk, they don't balance well at all. anything "leveled up" or higher on the luxury chain will always come with aluminum wheels, its the cheap trucks that come with cheap steel wheels. if your going to play off road you need a 17" wheel and tire combo.
11 deep water blue 2500 big horn, 5.7 hemi, 4.10 gears, 6" bds short arm lift, 20x9 -12 offset kmc hoss black wheels, 37x12.5x20 nitto trails, n fab cab length nerf bars, banks muffler w/ lou's custom tubing, pocket flares, top gun customz dual steering stabilizer, mission sled deck.

Last edited by tbeaton; 01-18-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

What does "nerfed" my wheel mean? Did U damage it on rocks? If U damaged a pretty looking aluminum wheel off roading and want a pretty looking steel wheel to offroad with... I don't know what to tell ya. Off roading will dirty up and damage things, it's just how it is. If U want to be pretty while off roading have a nice looking lady in the truck with ya... other than that what's the point. U are going to get dirty and banged up some while off roading if not you're not doing it right IMO.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeaton View Post
its not the material of the wheels that is the problem but the size, a 20" wheel on stock tires doesn't give you much sidewall to fend off the rocks. steel wheels for on road vehicles are junk, they don't balance well at all. anything "leveled up" or higher on the luxury chain will always come with aluminum wheels, its the cheap trucks that come with cheap steel wheels. if your going to play off road you need a 17" wheel and tire combo.
So being that my truck came with 20" wheels, the 17" wheels will clear the rotors and brake calipers??
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
So being that my truck came with 20" wheels, the 17" wheels will clear the rotors and brake calipers??
Yes the 17" wheels will fit. No smaller though. I have 17" wheels on mine as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
What does "nerfed" my wheel mean? Did U damage it on rocks? If U damaged a pretty looking aluminum wheel off roading and want a pretty looking steel wheel to offroad with... I don't know what to tell ya. Off roading will dirty up and damage things, it's just how it is. If U want to be pretty while off roading have a nice looking lady in the truck with ya... other than that what's the point. U are going to get dirty and banged up some while off roading if not you're not doing it right IMO.
It wasn't like I was on the Rubicon Trail or anything. And by nerfed I mean scratch / gouged by a rock. I finding that these 20" wheels / tires offer no protection from rocks and such. That's why I posted my question.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Your best bet is to go with 17" wheels (I'd pick aluminum, like he said above both will scratch/scuff when hit) and get a rugged sidewall tire, one that has a "rim protector". Tires will be cheaper on the 17" wheels as well, and you will probably get better mpg.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Your best bet is to go with 17" wheels (I'd pick aluminum, like he said above both will scratch/scuff when hit) and get a rugged sidewall tire, one that has a "rim protector". Tires will be cheaper on the 17" wheels as well, and you will probably get better mpg.
cool, thanks for the info.