DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road
Default Supercharged 5.9L???

Ok, so I have been thinking lately about putting on either a Supercharger or Turbocharger... I have been leaning more towards the SC because I understand they can produce more power, and the sound of a SC winding up is just flat nasty and I think it would be a whole lot easier to bolt on a SC than a Turbo... But the other day I saw a show on Powerblock on Spike where they bolted on a Turbo under the cab on the exhaust and seemed to be pretty easy as well. I'm just curious what you guys think, Turbo or Supercharger? Either way I'm not going huge, just some more power. And does anybody know who makes either or?
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Vehicle: Full Garage!
Rep:165
AutoAnything has a spectacular aura aboutAutoAnything has a spectacular aura about

We just started carrying Superchargers but don't have an option for your 99 Ram, sorry. It can be a pretty intense install and I would highly recommend a shop to do it unless you really know what you are doing. Edelbrock, Whipple, Paxton, Vortech and Magnacharger are some great brands to look into. Please keep us posted, I am very curious to see what happens. We may be adding Turbochargers to our site and I will post if we do. Good luck!

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 16% OFF Orders Above $150 on Dodge Ram mods.
We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
Click-Here-to-Chat and we'll beat ANY price by $1.

Click Here To See The Latest and Greatest Specials From AutoAnything!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Single or twin turbo(s) will produce more power than a supercharger. The turbo you are refering to is probably a STS turbo kit. Great versatile kit and can produce some great gains. Either way you go, intercooled is the way to go. I would love the whine of a SC, but nothing beats the sound of a blow-off valve
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark@AutoAnything View Post
We just started carrying Superchargers but don't have an option for your 99 Ram, sorry. It can be a pretty intense install and I would highly recommend a shop to do it unless you really know what you are doing. Edelbrock, Whipple, Paxton, Vortech and Magnacharger are some great brands to look into. Please keep us posted, I am very curious to see what happens. We may be adding Turbochargers to our site and I will post if we do. Good luck!
don't forget ken belle superchargers, I would do a lot of research before u make ur decision. I perosnally like supercharging better but that's just me. Then u have supercharging options such a belt driven supercharger or a roots type supercharger.

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

See The Supercharger Store. The single and twin gear drive ATI ProCharger units.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

This might sound funny but here it goes anyway, with a sc you need to run premium fuel (keep in mind the high cost of fuel anyway), I think you can run regular fuel with a turbo kit. There are a few turbo kit options available for our trucks on ebay as well. IMO the turbo whistle sounds sweet.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

It doesn't matter which way you boost the engine, fuel quality is an issue. Typically, with a supercharger, you get what you get, meaning, set it up and the boost you set it for is what you get. Turbos have wastegates that can vary the amount of boost, and in this electronic age, knock sensors, even fuel sensors, can determine the max allowable boost and adjust on the fly. Regardless of what type huffer you use, as boost goes up, so do octane requirements. This sort of thing was common in the 80's turbos. Friend of mine had a turbo 300ZX. On regular it'd get about 8-9psi boost. On premium it'd run up closer to 12 psi. With a supercharger, you can change pulley size to reduce boost, but here's the question...... Why spend all that money, then run regular? That's an awful lot for a whistle.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 01-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 ram 5.9
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road

Gen1dak is correct. I use to own a Mazda Rx8 which puts down like 186hp to the wheels in the stock form. But with a turbo boosting to 15psi I was able to put down 408hp to the wheels and I still managed to do this on premium fuel. But it's not easy and that was just for the dyno. I ran typically 10psi on premium but knew it could handle 15...but the question is how long can you run 15 before it gets to hot and something fails. The issue with pushing is typically all seems great and then it just dies out...no warnings.

There is so many different things that weigh in when boosting and they all have to be accounted for. Things such as do you have aluminum heads or steel. Just the way they release the heat will change how much boost you can run....Quality of your fuel....Rather your running water/methanol injection like I was.

In the end anything is possible but if your new to this and want something more and cool.....SC it!!!! Turbo's require a lot more knowledge about them and lets face it...If you decide to boost 8psi you'll love it so much you will bump it to 10 and then everything seems fine and you boost it to 12 and so on..and before you know it your replacing your engine.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 4x4 Quad Cab Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:86
Brutus will become famous soon enough

the efficiency of a turbo is superior to the supercharger.

check these guys out. they make a pretty nice kit.

http://www.performanceinjectionequipment.com/
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road

Well I'm not looking for just speed. I own a lawn care business and pull a trailer with the truck all the time. So whatever I go with will need to stand up to that also, and be the better "man" for the job.