DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
ramzealot is on a distinguished road
Default 2500 w/4.10 planning to tow a triple axle need advice

My new 2500 6.7 with the 4.10 gearing and all the extra gizmo's for towing is going to be here next week and I'm looking to tow a 40' triple axle toy hauler with it. My understanding of the 2500 vs. the 3500 is they are totally the same except for the spring kit. This in mind my idea would be to get some good quality airbags to assist with the payload. The pin weight on the 5th wheel I want is 2800lbs. I haven't bought the toy hauler yet and I could back off on the size and weight but a Dodge buddy of mine tows a custom 50' unit with a full size H1 Humvee in the garage with a 4K pin weight on his 3500 no problem but he has the no-spring airbag setup mod like the big rigs. I could use any advice/thoughts on this since I don't mind getting a good airbag assist setup if that's what I need to do but I don't want to spend the $$ on a no-spring airbag setup which I think runs around $4 to $5K. And when I'm not towing around town I like the idea of the 2500 since it rides a bit nicer vs the 3500 when it's dry.

Thanks for any advice on the towing as I am new to Dodge and a recovering Ford 6.0 owner. Not recovered yet. It will improve over the years of Dodge/Cummins ownership I'd expect.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
ramzealot is on a distinguished road

I see I already messed up being a newbie and put this thread in the wrong truck series forum (since mine is a 2012). Sorry. Maybe advice will still be similar
Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I think you may not need the airbags. I have 2500 rear springs on my 1500 and have hauled some pretty heavy loads in the bed, like a cord of green firewood, 3,500 +lbs diesel motors. I just bought a 31.5' fifth wheel travel trailer that I plan to tow with her. If your truck seems a mite ass heavy, the air bags should be the answer. I don't know what the 2500's use for shocks, but Rancho 9000's adjusted to the max really made my 1500 into a tow monster(for a half ton)
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM
Color: White
Rep:17
TLC John is on a distinguished road
Default TLC for your 2500 + Wireless One controller = Best Air System

TLC uses the largest air springs to deliver more lift and leveling power. Yes, TLC costs more than some systems (much less than others) but it's the best and never interferes with the factory suspension.

Also, order the WirelessOne controller before 6/30 and you'll save money and have the slickest system out there for your 2500.

Please check out our Vendor Forum or website.

If you have any questions, please let us know.