DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: marine blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
New2Ram is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I have 7200 miles on my truck now, had the oil changed at 3200 miles because I had a free oil change from my dealer. My light came on at about 6900 miles, which is right around 3700 miles after last oil change. I was wondering why it came on so soon, since I was told 7000 miles per change. So you guys are saying that 4000 miles on an oil change I should just reset the light and have it done around 7000 miles which would me about 10k on my odometer? Was going to have it done this weekend...tired of looking at the i on my evic
Sorry, hope I am not threadjacking!
Mopar Nerf Bars, 3.55 gears, 20% tint, 18" Magnaflow muffler, shorty antenna, 10" Memphis sub, Sound stream amp, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, tri-fold soft tonneau cover, smoke head light and tail light covers, blue l.e.d. brow lights, Built 12-6-10 @ noon
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: st
Color: white
Rep:10
fishinf1 is on a distinguished road

I know most the oils and newer vehicles out there are fine with the higher milage oil change intervals. The newer oils can handle the 7500 mile oil changes and still be good. The problem I have is most oil filters out there are paper filters. Paper filters start to break down in 3 months/3000 miles once used with oil. Even with amzoil and the other, once a year oil change/oils, it is recommended to change your oil filter every 3000 miles and top the oil level off.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: SLT BIG HORN
Color: Deepwater Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Dodgeramhemi09 will become famous soon enough

<-uses AMSOIL full synthetic only...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Bent21606 is on a distinguished road

i use mobil one 15k oil and oil filter and i dont see a problem with it. but i had a question about this too ive never seen my change oil light come on is that weird? i think the most i went was 6k miles on a oil change and im going to let it go to at least 7k this time. im going on my 7th oil change now
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

There are always different opinions on oil (check all the threads)l but there is definitely some misinformation in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1977 View Post
I have to have the dealer do the switch to synthetic right? Which synthetic do you recommend.
No, you can change to synthetic yourself. I use Amsoil with a bypass filter system. I think it's the best set up but that is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfserve217 View Post
I use castrol synthetic in my car (truck is too old for synthetic).
Your truck isn't too old. That is a myth. It used to be thought that synthetic would cause leaking seals but that isn't true. What really happened was it would clean seals that were already bad but were plugged with gunk from the old oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfserve217 View Post
I would even consider adding some Lucas to your oil changes, that stuff definitely helps in the long run as well. Hope this helps!
Pass on the oil additives; modern oil has all the additives it needs. There is nothing to be gained from snake oil and you may even do more bad than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2welee View Post
Synthetic oil is still "dinosaur oil". Both conventional oil and synthetic oils are made from crude. Synthetic is just more refined and uniformed. There is a lot of misinformation about synthetic oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Motor_Oil.aspx
No offence, but I might suggest that you get your information from sites that are not advertising a product. Synthetic oils are not just more highly refined mineral oil. If you notice at the top of the page it starts, "Synthetic motor oils - such as Mobil 1". The kicker is the "such as". Mobil1 is a Group III oil which is derived from mineral oil through a process known as hydro cracking. It is not actually a synthetic oil but for marketing purposes in the US it is referred to that way. It is not considered synthetic in Europe. Group IV and V are not made from mineral oil and are true synthetics which are "built" from polymers and esters. Royal Purple and Amsoil are examples of oils using Group IV and V oils. I'm not saying that Group III oils are bad I'm just clarifying the technical info; Mobile 1 is a fine oil but technically it is not a true synthetic. I believe originally it used to be primarily a Group IV oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
It is never too soon or too late to change to Synthetic motor oil
let the dinosaur oil stay in the ground

I switched to Mobile One Synthetic & i decided to go with a good oil filter, i prefer WIX brand, who also makes NAPA GOLD & Carquest
I'm with you on the filters but it looks like Mobile 1 is still made from dinosaurs according to their own site.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The benefits of synthetic will be most noticed in extreme temperatures and other extreme conditions. That said, I still use it in all my vehicles, motorcycles, lawn equipment, etc....anything with an engine, because not only do I get all the benefits, but it is about the same price and provides much longer drain intervals. So why not use it? It just doesn't make sense not to IMO, even if it did provide no protection, gunk prevention, mpg, or performance benefits, it's the same price (sometimes cheaper), and lasts longer.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:10
s2welee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
No offence, but I might suggest that you get your information from sites that are not advertising a product. Synthetic oils are not just more highly refined mineral oil. If you notice at the top of the page it starts, "Synthetic motor oils - such as Mobil 1". The kicker is the "such as". Mobil1 is a Group III oil which is derived from mineral oil through a process known as hydro cracking. It is not actually a synthetic oil but for marketing purposes in the US it is referred to that way. It is not considered synthetic in Europe. Group IV and V are not made from mineral oil and are true synthetics which are "built" from polymers and esters. Royal Purple and Amsoil are examples of oils using Group IV and V oils. I'm not saying that Group III oils are bad I'm just clarifying the technical info; Mobile 1 is a fine oil but technically it is not a true synthetic. I believe originally it used to be primarily a Group IV oil.
How did you come to this conclusion about Amsoil? They say on their own site that they do not divulge thier base stock and that the only thing that matters is performance. I am not taking offense, just trying to figure out how we actually know that Royal Purple and Amsoil are actually any different than Mobil 1 or any of the other lesser "synthetics" that you speak of.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

My oil light kicked in around 3500 miles also. I had 2 free oil change from the dealer, I still using conventional oil. (16.000 miles on it now).
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:87
united316 will become famous soon enough

HMM.. I just turned 12k miles on my truck and have had 2 oil changes one at 3k and one at 7k. my oil change message has not came on yet from 7 to 12k. I have a long trip soon so I am going to change the oil. dealer will do my changes for 25 bucks how much will I look to switch to synthetic and a good filter?
2011 SLT Crew Cab 4x2, 4.7, 3.55 gears, TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau, Westin Black Platinum series oval step bars, Aeroskin Hood Protector, Ventvisors In-channel smoke , Husky Liners Front ard Rear Mud Guards, K&N drop in air filter.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You can get as low as about $30 an oil change with synthetic, DIY.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.