DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I ALWAYS change my oil/oil filter the minute I bring the vehicle home from the dealership..... regardless of mileage.

Think about it: How long has that oil been sitting in that vehicle for on the dealer's lot? Thanks but no thanks....

I changed mine with 16miles on the clock the minute it came home. I ALWAYS use Amsoil Signature Series on all [five] of our vehicles with either Bosch or Wixx oil filters.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: slt
Color: stone white
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
464 is on a distinguished road

I brought my new truck home from the dealer and changed to synthetic. I personally run amsoil,but I get it at dealer prices. I've done this to several new motors and never had issues like some claim if you switch without a crude oil break in period.I dont have the hemi tick some have either. Any synthetic will probably work, some better than others.Get that dino crude out of there now,its old technology.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Deepwater Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
TG1977 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TG1977

Ok, so there's nothing special involved in switching from reg to synth? Just empty and replace? I still haven't gotten around to doing the oil change on mine yet. Been too busy to go to the dealer and sit and wait on the weekend. I have a free oil change but I'm thinking I'll just go to my local guy and get it done with.
Figuring on Mobil 1 since I have some left at home from the Jeep and what type of filter should I get? And should I replace the air filter now? I read on another thread that that can help with MPG.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^nothing special, just change to synthetic like you were doing a regular oil change. You should always use a good filter, like a wix, the cheap frams are junk, the expensive frams are ok, but the wix(napa) are cheaper. I think the mopar filters are good too.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

As so many have posted here before, synthetics are the way to go. Regardless of how hard or how easy you use your vehicle, a major brand synthetiic will always outperform it's dino cousin given the recommended viscosity and oil change interval. Synthetics will indeed provide a greater margin of protection against high engine temperatures, but should the warning light ever come on, change the oil right away no matter the miles. It is also my understanding that in cold weather startups, a quality synthetic will begin to flow and therefore reach moving parts quicker (this unvarified example has been seen on the internet: .."a 5w20 syn will begin flow at the same rate as a 0w20 dino at freezing or below conditions."

As I do not change oil myself, I always have the dealer do it for the following reasons: a) I am assured of getting the factory spec filter installed; b) presumably the drain plug is tightened to factory spec torque value instead of just "snug", c) if the plug gasket needs replacing, I'll get it and it'll be the right one, d) my dealer also checks to make sure that all computer software updates are current at that time.

Some additional personal thoughts: Yes I've read those advertised claims of extended oil change intervals made by some synthetic oil brands (namely 15k and 25k) Who would wait that long?,...not me! True or not, in warranty or beyond, I've got to believe that the factory engineers know what is best for my Ram. In the long run, I'd think it false economy to believe that I could go that long between changes. I recommend that you use such claims for "peace of mind" reasons only and never exceed the service interval specified in your owners manual.

Just my own opinions, and as you know, everyone has one.....
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^lol not picking on you dancianne but your second paragraph is why I do the work myself; I've had several times where "mechanics" at oil change places and dealers have done things like stripped the threads on the oil pan, and I had to find out and deal with it the next time I changed the oil. Also it seems anytime I bring my truck in to have any work done (twice on this truck - tires and a warranty thing) I find a new scratch or ding. Anyway I just thought that was kind of funny because those are the reasons you have them do it, but they are the reasons I do it myself.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rockd27 is on a distinguished road

I've always been told that the 3k between oil changes was a myth to get people to buy more oil. I was always taught you could go 7500 on reg oil, and now the new Maint. Manuals say the same thing, listing 8k between oil changes on your scheduled Maint. I use full synthetic from the dealer every 7500 miles. Kind of the best of both worlds. Just my own opinion.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
gixxertricks is on a distinguished road

changing to synthetic after time can be harmful to your pistons and cylinder heads. the junk that is in basic oil creates wear patterns. when stitching to synthtic oil it doesnt always fill in the old pits and create a loss of pressure
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxertricks View Post
changing to synthetic after time can be harmful to your pistons and cylinder heads. the junk that is in basic oil creates wear patterns. when stitching to synthtic oil it doesnt always fill in the old pits and create a loss of pressure
OK...I've never heard this one.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Yeah, not to be mean, but that is incorrect. I've never heard that, and didn't have any issues switching my s10 over to synthetic at over 100,000 miles, sold it at 220,000 miles to my boss and it still is running fine, probably has about 230,000+ miles on it today. Even if it is true about the pitting, the synthetic flows better and would fill the pits better, not worse. Also this would never cause a pressure change.