DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 TRX-4 5.7HEMI
Trim Level: SLT/TRX-4
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:25
dillon00 is on a distinguished road
Default Sub and box install complete!

Finished my sub install not too long ago..really happy with how it turned out. I've got a Kenwood KFC-W2513PS 10" woofer in a Q-Customs box powered by a Kenwood KAC-8105D. Sounds great. If you're into the bass that blows your hair back and knocks the rearview off the windshield, you'll be disappointed with this. But, if you're like me and want great sounding, CLEAN, deep bass that supplements your system nicely and sounds great with any type of music, you won't have a much better setup than this. I've also got front KFC-6993PS's (which aren't amped yet but will be very soon), back KFC-1662S's and a KDC-BT945U head unit. I want to go all Memphis speakers eventually, but this sounds good for now.

Install was pretty straightforward, I just ran the positive wire through the firewall where I had already pulled wires through for my MDS light and extra backup lights:

I ran the positive down the driver's side under the moulding (RCA and remote wire run the exact same place down the passenger side to prevent electrical noise from the power and RCAs being together- no pic of the passenger side, but it looks exactly the same):

Amp fit perfectly under the driver's side rear seat. I didn't fasten it down at all and it hasn't moved.

For the box to fit, you have to slice the storage compartment lining/carpet stuff. I hate cutting or drilling holes, but I didn't see any way around it so I just bit the bullet and did it. The box is held in place by (supposed to be) three screws, however there are only two in mine. One is in the corner closest to the camera, the other is visible in the picture right beside the cupholder. The third one is supposed to be in the back, but I couldn't find a way to get it in there without taking the whole daggon seat out and I sure as heck wasn't going through that. It's plenty secure the way it is with two in it. The box comes with a nice spring post plate to hook your speaker wire up to so it stays all nice and sealed. The speaker wire on the inside of the box that you connect to the sub had some kind of push type connectors on it, but the sub just had spring posts as well, so i just snipped those off and hooked it up directly.

Seat down:

The inside volume of the box is 0.65 cubic ft, which is exactly what Kenwood recommends for this sub in sealed enclosures for optimum sound..and it sounds fantastic. Really pumps out the deep bass even at low volumes. Like I said, I'm hoping for all Memphis eventually but this is good for a poor high school kid.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 TRX-4 5.7HEMI
Trim Level: SLT/TRX-4
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:25
dillon00 is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention a couple things..I have my LPF set at 100Hz. It's personal preference really, but I like 100 because up towards 120Hz you start getting into some mid range, which is really more of a home theater type setting. Make sure you match your input voltage up with the preamp levels coming from your head unit.

Another thing, if you do like I did and run your wires under the molding, make double sure the wires are tucked back out of the way before you snap the molding in place. It would be too easy to cut one of the wires (especially the tiny remote wire) if you caught it in the snaps.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
kiddynamite is on a distinguished road

looks real good man!

i just ordered 2 of the same subs and should be getting the whole system together in about a week or so.

glad you're happy with the setup!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
rcn1224 is on a distinguished road

Hey man, i just purchased an '03 1500 and was really interested in putting subs in just like that. Do you have directions on how to make that box. I'm looking for more detail... I'm too new at this forum and barely know how to use it! Thanks, looks awesome!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Looks good Dillon! Just want to put this out there tho, you need to bolt that amp down, In an accident it will become a missle that can kill you or a passenger. I know you don't plan on wrecking your truck, but no-one does.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM

I also agree with crash, since volunteering EMS i can say that everything turns into a projectile even in a small accident. Small screws shouldn't leave a huge mark through your carpet
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Rcn I believe thats a custom box they are made by fox-box and q-customs check out crutchfield dot com usually around 200-250. I think someone is selling one in the classifieds at the bottom of the site
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks Crash! If i have to ill end up buying one but id much rather make one myself.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Yeah I get it. It is always a better feeling when you do something yourself. There is a few guys on site who have done it and I'm sure if you search the audio and for sale threads to find them, most guys would be very helpful with tips and measurements.

Last edited by Crash; 01-24-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM

thanks! I'm still looking