DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
sooley is on a distinguished road
Default how to turn of traction control

i got a 2010 dodgr ram 1500 5.7 hemi and i was woundern ho to turn the traction control of i press the EPS button but it is still on after a little spin of the tires
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Just pressing the ESP button only partially disables it. You need to hold it for five seconds while stopped to fully disable it. It will automatically return to partail off when you reach a speed of 40 MPH. This is text from page 391 of the owners manual:

"Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESP stability
features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail
conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding
the ESP OFF switch for five seconds when the vehicle is
stopped and the engine is running. After five seconds, the
“ESP/TCS Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESP
Off” message will appear in the odometer. Press and
release the trip odometer button located on the instrument
cluster to clear this message"
Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:45
ram71351 is on a distinguished road

I believe thats only on the 4x4 trucks. Non 4x4 trucks will only have the TC partially disabled.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport CC 4x4
Color: Bright silver metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Troy. is on a distinguished road

Not sure about 2wd models, but the 4wd's you cannot fully disable the ESP in 2hi. You can hold the button all you want but you can only partially disable it, it's a kind of a pain, but does let you kick it loose a bit.

The only way to fully disable it, is to have the truck in 4wd, stopped, and press and hold the ESP button for ~5 seconds, a message will come on the EVIC saying it is disabled. Once you reach 40mph it will kick the ESP back on.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy. View Post
Not sure about 2wd models, but the 4wd's you cannot fully disable the ESP in 2hi. You can hold the button all you want but you can only partially disable it, it's a kind of a pain, but does let you kick it loose a bit.

The only way to fully disable it, is to have the truck in 4wd, stopped, and press and hold the ESP button for ~5 seconds, a message will come on the EVIC saying it is disabled. Once you reach 40mph it will kick the ESP back on.
^^^^ Thanks for the clarification. The manual states you can do this in 2WD as well however I have not actually tried it. Best way to learn is to experiment a bit. Next snowfall I am going to test this out and report back.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: big horn 4x4
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
deltaboy is on a distinguished road

this one feature alone has made me HATE a truck that i loved when i bought it. the kicking back on at 40 mph is bull crap too. when i want the traction control off i want it OFF...
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
sooley is on a distinguished road

can you buy a performances programmer or some thing like that to take it off fully
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaboy View Post
this one feature alone has made me HATE a truck that i loved when i bought it. the kicking back on at 40 mph is bull crap too. when i want the traction control off i want it OFF...

^^^Fully agree with you deltaboy. Another reason I love our lawyer-ridden, lawsuit-crazy society. Even my JetSki throttles UP after I release the throttle if I have the handlebars turned. The idea is that maybe I was panicking while heading into rocks or something and let go of the throttle. No throttle = no steering of course. But it's maddening as he11. Natural selection for people who would purposely run without ESP over 40 and get hurt. (JMHO of course)

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I believe the diablo tuners can 100% disable the TC.

EDIT: obviously not for 2011+ though as the tuners don't work with these years...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I believe the diablo tuners can 100% disable the TC.

EDIT: obviously not for 2011+ though as the tuners don't work with these years...
Yes.....and No.
You can turn of the traction control, but it is restored the next time you start the truck. As it requires a PCM flash to do this, it is a royal PITA!

I would like to extend my person thanks to our governments that have put mine life and those around me at risk in the name of safety. I would like to further add that it should be a requirement that anyone making legislation that affects the ability of the driver to control a vehicle, that they hold a valid drivers license with a high merit count and have only ever been ticketed for driving too fast or dangerously, but have never been involved in an accident caused by them. I also believe these same law makers should be required to have no less that 2 years of sanctioned race track experience.

Sorry......<<< End Rant >>>

I am an aggressive driver, and in the 3+ decades of aggressive driving, I have been accused more than once of being a 'menace'.....but only by people that have notably poor driving records (police included), and the majority of those are paying a premium to keep their license due to their incredibly poor record. I receive the maximum insurance rate reduction available for claims free insurance. IMO, their claim carries no weight.

When I turn off the traction control to at least have some direct control over my vehicle, then a computer program reinstates it so my vehicle no longer responds the same.....THAT IS DANGEROUS!

OK...OK....so the rant didn't end when it should of! LOL

I have been forced to alter my driving habits/instincts to accommodate an unpredictable computer program that alters the driving and performance characteristics of my vehicle constantly. I have to question how this could ever have passed any safety legislation. But then again, all laws are designed as a 'One size fits all', and we all know how well that works.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI