DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 1500 slt dodge ram
Trim Level: slt quad cab
Color: metallic silver
Rep:10
carlos curiel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to carlos curiel
Default cold air intakes

I have been contemplating in installing a CIA in my 2010 ram, I hear so much of this mod, increasing hp, torque and some mpg. In the same token I see a lot of them for sale in the ram forums. Some of the comments i read is that they are too noisy and did not produce what it was expected. If somebody has had good results, in relation to the investment, please send me some info, thanks,
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I have a new Vararam Air Grabber intake, and it has been awesome the short time I have had it. They just started selling, and they offered a group buy for foum members. There are a ton of good options out there, but remember that everyone wants something different! Check out the performance section for all kinds of threads!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

It's more about managing your own expectations. Don't expect to see a lot of HP gains (especially without any of the other 'holy trinity' [CAI, Exhaust, Programmer]). Don't expect to see a big increase in MPG (maybe 1-2 MPG and that's IF you can keep you foot out of it). Now, why, you ask, would I have trouble keeping my foot out of it if I'm not getting more HP? They do add a nice WOT growl and (with a free-flowing exhaust) you may notice a bit quicker throttle response. Most CAI's replace the stock rough intake tube (better/smoother/laminar flow into the throttle body) which is another plus as well.

I have a Volant but only because I could not fit the PowerCore Dry Filter into the stock air box. The filter comes with a 100k mile warranty and that, along with the growl, was enough to warrant the expense (~$250) for me.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
wickedpissahtruck is on a distinguished road

In my experience and I've put CAI's on all of my vehicles for the last 15 years with some vehicles getting several different CAI. I've noticed a touch better throttle response, negligible mpg gains/loss. The "noisy" ones are typically the open air box style such as the k&n, Brute Force, Air Raid to name a few while the more quieter ones are closed box styles such as Volant, which is my personal favorite, and I've installed them all. The Volant and AFE seem to get the best reviews on this forum from what I've read. Good luck and let us all know what you go with!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Just put a k&n in mine i get much better throttle response its a tad noisy like a growl when you get on it but i love that sound.As far as some saying your get a whistle well i have yet to hear that and like i said its not loud till you get on it then it just sounds like you wake up the exhaust, so on top of my magnaflow i love the sound. Varam just put one on market heard good and bad things but i never buy brand new things just released i let them work out the kinks first.

Last edited by dodgert; 01-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport Crew
Color: Black
Rep:26
Btreat003 is on a distinguished road

I too recently put the new Vararam on my truck, i don't notice any additional noise at all, def. getting better throttle response. As for MPG's, i added the CAI, Exhaust and programmer all about the same time and don't notice any huge gains... Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide
Old 01-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

I have a K&N and I love it. I love the sound it makes. I have noticed a slight improvement in power and fuel mileage. There will be negligible difference in performance between the quality brands. Just pick what appeals to you. I have always used K&N products and been very happy which is why I picked K&N..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

alot of good info posted above bud and that should sum it up for you alot of people like the growl the intake gives and alot of people done me personally i love it when i can hear it lol but its kind of hard to hear over the exhaust but i say pull the trigger bud and scoop one up for the ol girl and let her breath a lil better
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 slt dodge ram
Trim Level: slt quad cab
Color: metallic silver
Rep:10
carlos curiel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to carlos curiel
Default thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
It's more about managing your own expectations. Don't expect to see a lot of HP gains (especially without any of the other 'holy trinity' [CAI, Exhaust, Programmer]). Don't expect to see a big increase in MPG (maybe 1-2 MPG and that's IF you can keep you foot out of it). Now, why, you ask, would I have trouble keeping my foot out of it if I'm not getting more HP? They do add a nice WOT growl and (with a free-flowing exhaust) you may notice a bit quicker throttle response. Most CAI's replace the stock rough intake tube (better/smoother/laminar flow into the throttle body) which is another plus as well.

I have a Volant but only because I could not fit the PowerCore Dry Filter into the stock air box. The filter comes with a 100k mile warranty and that, along with the growl, was enough to warrant the expense (~$250) for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpissahtruck View Post
In my experience and I've put CAI's on all of my vehicles for the last 15 years with some vehicles getting several different CAI. I've noticed a touch better throttle response, negligible mpg gains/loss. The "noisy" ones are typically the open air box style such as the k&n, Brute Force, Air Raid to name a few while the more quieter ones are closed box styles such as Volant, which is my personal favorite, and I've installed them all. The Volant and AFE seem to get the best reviews on this forum from what I've read. Good luck and let us all know what you go with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
Just put a k&n in mine i get much better throttle response its a tad noisy like a growl when you get on it but i love that sound.As far as some saying your get a whistle well i have yet to hear that and like i said its not loud till you get on it then it just sounds like you wake up the exhaust, so on top of my magnaflow i love the sound. Varam just put one on market heard good and bad things but i never buy brand new things just released i let them work out the kinks first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btreat003 View Post
I too recently put the new Vararam on my truck, i don't notice any additional noise at all, def. getting better throttle response. As for MPG's, i added the CAI, Exhaust and programmer all about the same time and don't notice any huge gains... Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkman View Post
I have a K&N and I love it. I love the sound it makes. I have noticed a slight improvement in power and fuel mileage. There will be negligible difference in performance between the quality brands. Just pick what appeals to you. I have always used K&N products and been very happy which is why I picked K&N..
I appreciate all the info you guys put out on my question. I forgot all about my ride, just got busy with customers wanting cabinets and other furniture made. After deciphering all the info I think I am going with Air Grabber, just have to rat hole some of my earnings
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT QD CAB Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:65
DodgeRamMan71 will become famous soon enough

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Dodge-R...0#ht_980wt_922

If you are saving up, keep going till you can afford the MOPAR CAI, looks so much better, IMO.