DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Crewcab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
SilentService is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
you can def just remove and replace those 2. the factory pipe is stainless so no reason to get rid of it unless you are doing something custom like rerouting or whatever
Good to know and saving some money thanks
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:10
arlockstedt is on a distinguished road

Ok, pretty much sold on this. One question.....I want the added performance, just not all the noise. How much louder is this than stock? Is it still quiet in the cab? I have driven a hemi truck (08 i think) with an exhaust and it just sounded to loud for my taste. Any info or input is appreciated
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlockstedt View Post
Ok, pretty much sold on this. One question.....I want the added performance, just not all the noise. How much louder is this than stock? Is it still quiet in the cab? I have driven a hemi truck (08 i think) with an exhaust and it just sounded to loud for my taste. Any info or input is appreciated
Based on what you said above I would recommend a Magnaflow 12588. Have a shop cut your stock muffler out and weld this in place.

it's a 3" single in and a 2.5" dual out. the muffler is 22" long so it isn't loud. it's basically the same muffler that comes in the 16869 kit but without the tips and you keep your resonators...also a less expensive route.

edit: they do make a 24" long muffler also (p/n 12388). you can basically choose from a 14", 18", 22" & 24"

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 08-22-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM

is there going to be a difference in performance still with it being much larger? I'm looking for better MPG, and second, a few HP's
Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

they are straight thru mufflers so I doubt you'll see a performace difference. personally, i'd buy for hp first and maybe better gas mileage second b/c I don't think you see a difference. there are those that claim 1, 2, 3 mpg better but if you run the numbers it will take many years for you to recoup that money from the purchase/install cost.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM

so that muffler and the new y pipe and it should be quiet and still feel a difference?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM

those are very subjective questions but yes in my opinion it will be quiet for a performance muffler (I run the 22" magnaflow). will you be able to feel a difference - maybe. would it dyno better numbers - yes. would it be quicker light to light and at the track- yes.

lots of people around here are very happy with their magnaflows. I don't think you can go wrong with them. I don't remember if there are any links earlier in this thread but there are a bunch of Rams with magnaflow videos on youtube.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 sport
Color: black
2012NightRider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
I think Crash addressed it.

Anyhow....

Below is a cellphone [My Droid] clip I uploaded to YouTube a couple of days ago of my exhaust.

Not the most accurate depiction as far as what I'm actually hearing everyday [sounds a little louder & throatier than what you hear] but it gives you an idea.

Great write up man. So like you stated previously that you have had a borla exhaust. I had the full catback on my jeep srt8. I absolutely loved it. How come i havent seen a single one on any rams on the forum??? What are your thoughts on the borla for our trucks. Im torn between your set up and the borla catback. I want to order something this weekend.

Thanks again for all your great write ups and input in advnace
Cody
Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012NightRider View Post
Great write up man. So like you stated previously that you have had a borla exhaust. I had the full catback on my jeep srt8. I absolutely loved it. How come i havent seen a single one on any rams on the forum??? What are your thoughts on the borla for our trucks. Im torn between your set up and the borla catback. I want to order something this weekend.

Thanks again for all your great write ups and input in advnace
Cody
Yes, I've owned Borla on more than one previous ride and they are top-notch in every way, period!

A lot of vendors will tell you that Corsa and Gibson exhausts are the leader of the pack, but I'll tell you this: from an owner who's owned all three in the past, I'll put Borla up against any brand.... they're that good!

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a fault with Borla, the ONLY thing I'd pick is Borla can be a little mellow-sounding under idle. But under WOT, they're a different story. Throw on some mild performance upgrades [cam, headers, custome tune, larger TB, etc] and nothing else on the market touches it. IMHO, it's the best sounding exhaust for mildly modified street registered cars.

I've seen one or two 4th Gen owners "around" on these boards and others of the like, who have the Borla catback installed and it does sound reall sweet. You simply can't go wrong with Borla.

So after all that, why did I not choose Borla for my 12' Ram?

Like I said in my thread's opening post, I went with the Magnaflow 16869 this time around because ALL my research for our trucks [at the time] from reading, listening, asking and whatnot led me to my selection ..... and those 5' tips are priceless! In other words, for ME - this time around, and for the first time ever - Maganflow was the right choice.

I have absolutely no regrets..... and I'm sure you won't if you go the similar route.

Hope this helped some.

I enjoy the write-ups and appreciate the kind words.

Grub out!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 sport
Color: black
2012NightRider is on a distinguished road

Thanks again! Thats pretty much what i was looking for. IF you find anyone on the forum with the borla catback on our ram then can you please PM me the link or post it here. I can pick up the magnaflow 16869 for 640 shipped vs. the borla for 912 shipped. Basically i can go magnaflow and get the s&b cold air for the same price as just the borla exhaust. Its just that loud deep rumble that has me holding on. Im just scared if i pull the trigger on the magnaflow I will end up regretting not buying the borla??????!!!!!!!!!