DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

The YouTube clips below will give you an idea.... though some are a muffler swap only, one has a little more than a borla catback and so forth.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
2012NightRider is on a distinguished road

I culdnt thank you more. thats exactly what i needed to here. im going to go with the borla and eventually get the jba ceramic headers. Do you thing i should get the magnaflow Y pipe for the set up also?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012NightRider View Post
I culdnt thank you more. thats exactly what i needed to here. im going to go with the borla and eventually get the jba ceramic headers. Do you thing i should get the magnaflow Y pipe for the set up also?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Yes, definitely get the Y-pipe!

The OEM Y crimp is horrid and very restrictive; your exhaust will flow a lot better with the OEM Y cut out and scrapped.

Remember also, that there is ANOTHER crimp that you should address. It's the truck's LHS bank exhaust pipe that runs under the transmission and comes across to the driver's side. A simple popke under the truck will reveal this as clear as daylight. If my memory serves me right, it's a much longer crimp [app. 2-3FT long] and is just as bad as the Y. It's a crimp that's hardly ever mentioned and/or addressed but it's just another weak link in the exhaust's [breathing] chain. Many of us here have addressed this issue with a simple cut-n-weld job...... though more [probably] have not.

For a relatively small fee, both these restrictive pipes in the exhaust's path should be addressed and are worth EVERY penny spent. Highly recommended!

Good luck in your ultimate choice.

Grub out!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:14
RamRodSport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
I think Crash addressed it.

Anyhow....

Below is a cellphone [My Droid] clip I uploaded to YouTube a couple of days ago of my exhaust.

Not the most accurate depiction as far as what I'm actually hearing everyday [sounds a little louder & throatier than what you hear] but it gives you an idea.

Grubrunner,
I'm fixing to drop the ball on the 16869, local shop will install it out the door for $850 (bolted on not welded) I called MF and they say bolted is just fine and thats how the system was designed to be installed and that welding was an option but not recommended???? I know you have welded yours plus added the Y pipe but without chacing through a million threads on the net how do you think the MF CatBcak without the Y would be as far as the drone noise everyone talks about???... i have the Mopar CAI, I know everyone hates it but i got a great deal on it from the dealer when I got the truck ($200.00) so thats why i did it...lol.
Any help would be great here!!!!
Thanks
Previous RAMs:
Red 2002 4x2 Quad Cab Sport in Flame Red, 1996 4x4 Etended Cab Sport in Emerald Green Matalic
Other Car: 2009 Factory JCW MINI Cooper
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRodSport View Post
Grubrunner,
I'm fixing to drop the ball on the 16869, local shop will install it out the door for $850 (bolted on not welded) I called MF and they say bolted is just fine and thats how the system was designed to be installed and that welding was an option but not recommended???? I know you have welded yours plus added the Y pipe but without chacing through a million threads on the net how do you think the MF CatBcak without the Y would be as far as the drone noise everyone talks about???... i have the Mopar CAI, I know everyone hates it but i got a great deal on it from the dealer when I got the truck ($200.00) so thats why i did it...lol.
Any help would be great here!!!!
Thanks
In short, no go ahead and install it without the Y and you"ll be fine as far a the dreaded drone.

In detail: Magnaflow spent a sheet load on designing and perfecting this exhaust for maximum performance, solid construction, ease of fit, appearance AND sound. Sound wasn't just about sweet tunes.... it was also about minimal to no drone. How do I know this? Like I said in the OP, I researched the beejeesus out of this exhaust prior to biting.

Also remember that when Magnaflow designed and released this exhaust, they did so with the thought that the consumer would NOT need additional parts like the Y pipe. Had the Y pipe have been a recommendation - either for performance, sound or whatever reason - you can be certain that Magnaflow would have either recommended it or added it to the kit. They, as you know, did neither.

The Y pipe is not an absolute necessary part for the exhaust to operate at its maximum performance, but rather a 'supplement' to the Magnaflow 16869 kit.

In all honesty, as bad as the OEM Y pipe crimp is, if you we're to dyno it and then compare its numbers to one with the Y pipe changed, you probably wouldn't get numbers that will rock your world.....but those of us that have done it know we now have a less restrictive exhaust gases flowing; and we sleep better at night.

Hope this helped some and best wishes to you. Whatever route you take, you"ll be smiling for a LONG time once you have that Magnaflow 16869 whistling the sweetest tunes.....be it with OR without the Y pipe swap.

Grub out!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

So this pipe under the trans is it a straight piece you can just weld in? I'm goin to get my resonators removed and I might as well do this too.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:14
RamRodSport is on a distinguished road

Awesome, Thanks for the quick response Grub and knowable of information,
I had a Magnaflow muffler on my 5.9 1996 4X4 Sport dueled out the back but tucked under the bumper so you could not see it and loved it. I was one of the guinea pigs for the 15740 Catback for the new 2002 Ram back in 2001. I was on the phone with them 3 times a week. I had one of the few that came with the old 5.9 engine with the new body back then and one of the first to get the Catback from MF…. Dodge was pushing the new 4.7 but I wanted the 5.9… the CB on it sounded so incredible and that’s why I want it on this one too. I went ahead and ordered it today and they are installing it on Saturday. $850 was the best price I could find locally and installed. Found it for $500 online but don’t want to chance it and then have to pay for install. I had a MF CB on my 2007 Tahoe and it sounded great too. I traded my 2002 for my new 2012 about 2 months ago…. I do miss the old one but love the new one…
Here is an old link to Cardomain i had set up about 10 years ago on the 2002...lol, i can't believe it's still around....lol. look at page 2 and 3....it only had 76,000mls when i traded it in...
Thanks again.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212234...00-regular-cab
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212234...lar-cab/page-2
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212234...lar-cab/page-3
Previous RAMs:
Red 2002 4x2 Quad Cab Sport in Flame Red, 1996 4x4 Etended Cab Sport in Emerald Green Matalic
Other Car: 2009 Factory JCW MINI Cooper
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostR1der View Post
So this pipe under the trans is it a straight piece you can just weld in? I'm goin to get my resonators removed and I might as well do this too.
Yes, the OEM crimp is a straight piece.

It's a very straight forward job for ANY exhaust shop.

Grub out!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

One thing to remember when having a muffler shop replace your crimped OEM Y....if they aren't using mandrel bends they're just replacing one crimped piece of pipe with another.
It costs money to do it right...it also costs money to do it wrong. I prefer to do it right.

This is done right.

If your muffler shop makes bends that look like this...don't waste your money. You're just moving the problem to a new spot.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM

Awesome pics RamRodSport!

What a sharp truck!

Thanks for posting.

Grub out!