DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT- Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
dig is on a distinguished road
Default LSD Rear.

Well today I made a few calls, the best price I got from a Dodge Dealer on a OEM LSD was 874.00 installed including tax. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. They tell me that it will not affect my warranty. The question do I really need it, probable not, but??? I guess I need a push one way or the other. How many of you have the LSD and those of you that does not are planning of installing one. This is in a 2010 crew cab with the 355, the truck has just a little over 5000 miles.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

My 11 has 3.92's with the LSD, and my last truck had the LSD as well. I wouldn't be without one now. Decent upgrade IMO.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

i also have the 2010 with the 355's and no LSD. While I wish i had LSD (first truck without it), i would not spend 900 bucks to get it. but im a cheap scottish bastage. with that being said, we have had some snow here the last week or so, and even in 4wheel, its not as great as it would be with the LSD.

i dont really understand why a truck would come standard with LSD ( i mean other than making it a paid for option), but i bought this puppy used, and unfortunately i will not be upgrading due to the cost.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered mine built and wanted the 3.92 but the dealer talked me out of it. This happened before I found this forum which is why I'm stuck with the 3.55. Mines a 4x4 so I will not be looking to upgrade it. It's actually quick of the line in 4WD auto however in 2WD my single rear just cuts loose if I get on it too much. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get the LSD.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
Well today I made a few calls, the best price I got from a Dodge Dealer on a OEM LSD was 874.00 installed including tax. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. They tell me that it will not affect my warranty. The question do I really need it, probable not, but??? I guess I need a push one way or the other. How many of you have the LSD and those of you that does not are planning of installing one. This is in a 2010 crew cab with the 355, the truck has just a little over 5000 miles.
i have the 3.92 with lsd,... well worth it
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I just turned down 2 very well paying jobs
1 trip into Oregon & 1 trip into Idaho
this time of year i would be running into snow & ice at both locations
NOT having LSD is 1 of the reasons for turning the jobs down

The other reason is that i am working on my Harley fuel system & the parts have started arriving, new gas tanks & they need to be pressure tested & powder coated
The new clutch cable has come in, the new speedometer is here & i have to get a new cable made up for it

Spring is just a couple weeks away here in SoCal
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

LSD is great, but it sure is expensive to add it after the fact. Personally, if the dealer is the one who talked you out of it, I'd go to them and try to strike a deal as an unsatisfied customer. maybe they'll split it with you or something like that.

I plan on adding it, but I plan on also going up to 4.10 gearing, so I'm keeping an eye out for a good used RT axle, should end up cheaper or the same cost as having all the work done...plus I can do it myself and it's easier, and I keep the old axle.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

LSD is totally worth it....too bad it's costing ya twice what the upgrade from the factory would have cost.

I like what the previous member said...see if the dealer will split the cost or help ya out the best they can.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:10
Holleywud is on a distinguished road

I have a CC with 3.55's also. I'm considering installing a lockright locker. Can't justify doing all that work for limited slip. On top of that I'd have to let someone else work on my truck if I want it covered by the warranty. I could pop that lockright in there in less than an hour and be on my way.. Hmmm.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^I don't know why people think installing these units is an hour or couple hour job...I've never done it but am pretty sure it requires pulling the axles, which alone is probably an hour job.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.