DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
jbrowning is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to install 7 wire hook up on my truck.

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 ltr 4x4 extended cab. It did not come with a tow package. Hold on here is a picture of my outfit (if that is what you want to call it)

Nothing great but I sure do love it. I have been running this for about a year and have had no problems at all. But now I am wanting to connect back up the old 7 plug connector that was on the trailer (now it is running on a 4 plug)....which means I need to do the same thing on my truck. Now I have found the wiring harness under the dash of the truck to plug the brake controller into and I have the brake controller and connecter and am ready to jump on this with both feet in the morning. But I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me answer.

With the wiring harness already under the dashboard, do I need to do the wiring to the battery or is it just simply plugging the controller into the wiring harness and that's it (for the front of the truck)?

Second the person who owned the truck before me has the back end wired for a 4 plug flat connector. Can I splice into this or would the 7 wire plug be tied up somewhere under the bed of the truck? If I splice into this where do I get the other 3 wires to make it a 7 wire plug?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I will be tackling something like this and I really don't want to screw it up. After this all gets done then I get to start finding out what wires to go what on the old trailer. Woohoo!!! Come on over, we're gonna have a party.

Thank you
Jim Browning
Colorado

Last edited by jbrowning; 02-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
GearHd6 is on a distinguished road

You'd have to look under the back of the truck and see what you've got for wiring. You'll need to verify whether the old owner tied into the old 7 way wiring or if they went the old school way and just tied into each tail light. Once you figure that out it should be simple. I'd assume all the wires are still back there somewhere, you just need to locate them.

As far as hooking anything to the battery. No, you won't have to do anything special, all the wires you need are at the plug under the dash.

Oh and, awesome looking retro camper, I love it! Does it have trailer brakes and you have just been towing all this time while not using them?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
jbrowning is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply. Yes the trailer has trailer brakes already. The previous owner just cut the old 7 wire connector off because his truck only had the flat 4 pin connector on it. So he wired the trailer for the 4 wire plug. Thank I really like my little retro trailer and it pulls really well behind my truck. I will be doing some spucing up on the trailer probably nexr winter. I am wanting to repaint it white and where the gold stripe is, I am wanting to paint it green to match the color of the truck and get all the clearance lights to work and flip the axle for a little bit more clearane.

Thank you for the reply, now I know what I am up against.
Jim