DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of
Default Still thinking about joining...

Well guys, some of you may have seen my other thread about wanting to join the military and wanting to work around planes and whatnot. I'll give y'all a quick little run down of why I want to join.

Ever since I was a little kid I always looked up to people in the military and they were my true hero's when I was little. Growing up I realized that how much I love this beautiful country and how much of an honor it would be to be able to fight for it.

Anyways, I have always loved airplanes. It started with my grandpa who was a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps, and then he became an airline pilot for Delta, and not he is retired and restores antique planes and flies in airshows all over the country. My idol growing up was my uncle who was a professional aerobatic pilot and I always wanted to be just like him. So I have some experience flying, but I feel like I don't want to fly for my "job" I would like it to be a hobby. So I decided I would like to be a Air Traffic Controller.

After doing some research I found out I could enlist and after basic go to 15 weeks of AIT to become a Air Traffic Control (ATC) Operator. I understand this will be difficult, but it is something I really want to do. I want a career doing something I love ya know. Plus making around $100,000 annually as a FAA certified Air Traffic Controller doesn't seem to shabby

Well I guess I'm posting here to see what you guys think and if y'all can give me some input on the situation. Also if anyone here is a ATC Operator, what do you like/dislike about it.

Also I am telling my parents wednesday, my 18th birthday, of my plan. They have never been a huge fan of me joining, but it's what I want to do. Do y'all have any tips on how to explain it to them?

Thanks fellow ram owners, I appreciate it, and thank you for your service.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

This one is all about you! Controllers have a very hectic job, very stressful. It is a good field to get into though. I would do 4 years and get out to start getting paid though.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

As for ur parents, explain that u have thought about it and u would appreciate their support. Been there and had this talk before and it's not easy! Just remember to stay calm and just be honest! I was going Avionics before ripping out my shoulder and had surgery. Good luck to ya bud! If u need any help or have questions, just pm me!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 slt dodge ram
Trim Level: slt quad cab
Color: metallic silver
Rep:10
carlos curiel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to carlos curiel
Default career

I was 19 when I got drafted into the service, now I am 66. It was not my choice. If you have a passion for this and vision of what you want to be, than be it. I respect the fact that at your age you have a plan of what you want to be. Your parents might not agree with your plan at this juncture in your young life, because of the state of affairs United States is with other countries. This is because the love they have for you and the concern for your safety. Our government makes a lot of promises but does not guarantee nothing. Once you are under their command they own you, for the duration that you choose. But it seems that you have dreams, my advice to you is to follow those dreams, I wish you all the luck and support of your ultimate decision
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 AM

GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Thanks for y'alls responses guys. I know my parents really want me to go to college because neither of them did and they never made much for money. I can always further my education though.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The more that you know about flying & planes, the better chances you have to get to your goal, whether it in TC or something close. Doing 4 or 5 years in the military sets you up for some kind of help getting into a college, partial or 50% tuition paid
You should ask a Air Force recruiter about that, ask you Dad to go with you, he may think of questions that should be asked & he will appreciate you bringing him into the decision
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM

Yeah good idea yankee. Well tomorrow's the big day haha. Kinda nervous.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I do remember your older post, and hope you reach a decision! I read some of the above posts and it got me thinking, yeah your parents may not want you to join, but somebody has to do it to, and why not the people who have the desire to? If you really want to, then you are probably the one that should be signed up first. As far as the money thing, it really doesn't matter; just about any job out there pays enough for you to have a great life with nearly everything you could reasonably want, so if you make enough to pay the bills and support a few hobbies, you'll be happy. Excess money creates bad habits and irresponsibility IMO. Good luck to you and hope all goes well! I had a friend when I was growing up younger and his father was an ATC and he loved his job (at Atlanta international airport....I think the busiest airport in the world...?) he worked constantly but liked it. Not for me but maybe for you...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
zeroyon is on a distinguished road

I know that it was hard for me telling my parents that I was going to join the Army. My dad is retired army as well and now he is working for the govt making some good money. He told me that he would pay my way through college and buy me a new vehicle and everything. I told him that I wanted to earn things on my own and he respected that. I have been in the Army for going on 6 years and love the unit that I am in.

But if I was you, you said you were thinking about college. Why dont you go to ROTC then come in as a officer and make more money then us enlisted people. Maybe even fly if you wanted to without going green to gold or warrant. Thats what I woud do if I was you.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

If you choose to enlist, do so only if you are guaranteed in writing the school of your choice, i.e. Air Traffic Control. If they are not willing to give you what you want go to college and after that if you want to join then you will be in a better position to acheive your goals.