DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:371
BigSwede is just really niceBigSwede is just really niceBigSwede is just really niceBigSwede is just really nice

I say go for it and good luck. You'll be rewarded over and over again for your decision. While you're in, you'll have 100% tuition assistance to get a degree in whatever you want. Like someone said above, ATC isn't the easiest job in the world, but I know several and they all love it.

With your parents, just explaining it to them that you've been thinking about this for a while and that you've set your goals and plan to keep up with school, I don't think they'll have any issues. I had that discussion with my parents just over 19 years ago, and here I am about a year from retiring after 20. There were several times I thought about pulling the trigger and getting out, now I realize that I made the right decision to stick with it.

Again, good luck with what you do. I know you'll enjoy it!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
itshertruck is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to itshertruck

When you talk to the recruiters, they are trained to only answer the questions that you ask. They do not volunteer any info that you do not ask for. My grandfather retired after 23 years in the navy as a Air Traffic Controller. The man never set foot on/in a plane after that. That is a TON of stress with that job. By all means, make sure that your parents support you, and if they don't, that is a terrible shame. Though I believe that there are many of us on here that back you 110% for wanting to stand up and help those of us retiring to defend the country.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

going on 16 years as a F16 Crew Chief....ATC maybe stressfull....but it's easier on the body lol....5 knee surgeries down, and looking at shoulder surgery when I get back stateside
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxHunting View Post
Well guys, some of you may have seen my other thread about wanting to join the military and wanting to work around planes and whatnot. I'll give y'all a quick little run down of why I want to join.

Ever since I was a little kid I always looked up to people in the military and they were my true hero's when I was little. Growing up I realized that how much I love this beautiful country and how much of an honor it would be to be able to fight for it.

Anyways, I have always loved airplanes. It started with my grandpa who was a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps, and then he became an airline pilot for Delta, and not he is retired and restores antique planes and flies in airshows all over the country. My idol growing up was my uncle who was a professional aerobatic pilot and I always wanted to be just like him. So I have some experience flying, but I feel like I don't want to fly for my "job" I would like it to be a hobby. So I decided I would like to be a Air Traffic Controller.

After doing some research I found out I could enlist and after basic go to 15 weeks of AIT to become a Air Traffic Control (ATC) Operator. I understand this will be difficult, but it is something I really want to do. I want a career doing something I love ya know. Plus making around $100,000 annually as a FAA certified Air Traffic Controller doesn't seem to shabby

Well I guess I'm posting here to see what you guys think and if y'all can give me some input on the situation. Also if anyone here is a ATC Operator, what do you like/dislike about it.

Also I am telling my parents wednesday, my 18th birthday, of my plan. They have never been a huge fan of me joining, but it's what I want to do. Do y'all have any tips on how to explain it to them?

Thanks fellow ram owners, I appreciate it, and thank you for your service.
GeauxHunting, here is my take on things. You know me, so take this for what its worth.

I have been doing this job a LONG time. It is very labor intensive (at least in my MOS). I feel at 27, like I am 57. I have a shattered hip thats been reconstructed, a shin splint that resulted in muscle tearing, 25 IED strikes, numerous Traumatic Brain Injuries, I am pretty sure I have a broken big toe, 3 deployments (2 of which have been route clearance) and...

I am still doing the job. I love it, I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world if I have my way about it. I HATE the Political BS that comes with the service, and the higher you go, the worse it gets, but, it is what it is. I truly believe I was born to do this. 7 years later, numerous awards and commendations, certificates, schools and training have helped me build an impressive resume`. Whatever you decide to do, put your best into it, and you will be ok in the service.

Oh yeah, and you better be a BEAST in the gym, because the way the services are headed, Physical Training Tests are going to get harder, and they are only going to keep the best.

Having said all that, if I had it do to over again, I would have went USAF Explosive Ordinance Disposal team. $100,000 enlistment bonus? I will take NAO!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-26-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Oh yeah, and you better be a BEAST in the gym, because the way the services are headed, Physical Training Tests are going to get harder, and they are only going to keep the best.
these days that seems to be the only thing that matters.....you don't have to know your job, but as long as you can pass a PT test you are golden.....
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4041 View Post
these days that seems to be the only thing that matters.....you don't have to know your job, but as long as you can pass a PT test you are golden.....
One of the many reason's why I am getting out. I can pass a PT test with about a 250/300. My promotion points for E5 are maxxed at 798/800, So I need a 300/300 to make points. Wont happen. I can't carry my own ass down the 2 mile track in 13:00 flat. I will likely never make E5 before my High-Year-Tenure of 12 years. At 10 years of service, my contract is up. Thats 2 years from now. One year from now, I have to weigh my options. Re-up, and waste 4 more years if points don't come down. Then I hit HYT, have to get out with 12 years, past the halfway point, and will be (in my eyes) a waste. Hate to get out when I am halfway done, but the Army will be making a new truck payment, at minimum, to me for the rest of my life. I can live with that.

One of the biggest questions to ask your recruiter: What are the promotion points right now for that MOS, and what have the been 6 months prior. If they have been over 650 for more than 6 months, run far FAR away from that MOS.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-26-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
GeauxHunting, here is my take on things. You know me, so take this for what its worth.

I have been doing this job a LONG time. It is very labor intensive (at least in my MOS). I feel at 27, like I am 57. I have a shattered hip thats been reconstructed, a shin splint that resulted in muscle tearing, 25 IED strikes, numerous Traumatic Brain Injuries, I am pretty sure I have a broken big toe, 3 deployments (2 of which have been route clearance) and...

I am still doing the job. I love it, I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world if I have my way about it. I HATE the Political BS that comes with the service, and the higher you go, the worse it gets, but, it is what it is. I truly believe I was born to do this. 7 years later, numerous awards and commendations, certificates, schools and training have helped me build an impressive resume`. Whatever you decide to do, put your best into it, and you will be ok in the service.

Having said all that, if I had it do to over again, I would have went USAF Explosive Ordinance Disposal team. $100,000 enlistment bonus? I will take NAO!
I gotta tell ya, I see alot of wisdom in such a young man and I am proud to know that you are defending our country.
I can tell you Geaux that it is a decision that ultimately is yours to make. I hope your parents support you in whatever direction your life takes, no matter what, pride in your child shapes them into who they become. I served and am proud of our US Veterans past and present. Without our service people this country would be just another of those that always take neutral ground and never fight for anything. I like to think that the people of the US still have an unwavering pride in themselves.
That being said, If you want an education, we just looked into it for my wifes baby sister who is graduating high school this year, heres what we found...Air national Guard was the highest paying, for time spent in uniform (1 weekend a month of duty and if I remember correctly 1 week during the year) that takes into account for schooling being paid and monthly check. She will get her college tuition 100% paid for a good college and receive training in the Air National Guard in an MOS of her choosing. There are enlistment bonuses for certain MOS (this is usually an MOS that they are short of people in) You get a portion of the bonus up front after you get to your first duty station. Then you recieve the balance usually 2 years later depending upon your term of enlistment. ( I think they had 20000 on some MOS) If I had it to do over, that would be pretty attractive to me, and if you really like the service, you can go regular. To me a trial of the service, getting paid, college tuition, sounds pretty good. It is something to think about, all I can do is give you an old mans opinion whos been where you are. Again, it ultimately is your decision, it is your lifes path to choose. Good luck to you son.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Like everyone has said, ask ALOT of questions, even if you think it's a stupid question, ask it. Once you're at MEPS the 2nd time, that's pretty much it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4041 View Post
Which is why the next 4 years can't go by fast enough. 4 years in the Navy and 12 & counting in the Coast Guard and that's where it's all headed. This economic crisis has also dried the well up for advancements. After 9/11 we had people making E7 in less than 10 years. Now I'm an E6 fighting for a spot on a very long list. No more 30 year hitches either. We have a retention panel (unheard of in CG history) 3 years running pretty much ending people's careers. Funny how the E9's and W's are immune to this...

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Rep:15
itshertruck is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to itshertruck

I concur regarding the economic crisis garbage and teh senior people being immune. July will make 19 years for me, as a Machinist Mate in the Navy. The past 10 years have been as an O2N2 production technician/instructor. The ERB program that the Navy just had this past year, put a lot of good junior people out, that made rate too fast. It was mandatory for anyone with 7-15 years of service in. The military is going corporate. It's not just being a beast for the physical part, but also knowing your job. Here lately, in the Navy, it is who you bl*w, not what you know, that gets you a great evaluation, and that gives you more points towards an advancement exam. Given a chance, I would do everything that I have done, without question. I love our country and what I have done for it.
As with HemiLonestar, no more 30 year hitches for anyone who isn't E9/CWO. E7 in the navy is 23, E8 is 26, and E9 is 30. But for an E6, like myself, 20 and done. I am already networking with just over a year to go, trying to find a job on the outside. If you join, I wish you the best of luck, and you have my utmost respect for doing so. Make what you can out it, don't let it make you.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Color: Red
Rep:10
Q23 is on a distinguished road

Having said all that, if I had it do to over again, I would have went USAF Explosive Ordinance Disposal team. $100,000 enlistment bonus? I will take NAO![/QUOTE]

You realize that ATC in the AF gets the same bonus that EOD does. They are both capped out with a 7 in the enlistment bonus... i think right now the cap is 90k. So it basically goes with quality of life. I can tell you right now that out of the two ATC gets treated a whole lot better than EOD.

With that being said there is a reason why jobs have bonuses. Its not cause they work short hrs and have massive amount of people in the career feild