DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra
Trim Level: SR5
Color: Metalic Grey
Rep:10
Kong is on a distinguished road

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP26002.html

I have this dual cam system on my camper. Its the best system I have ever used. Much better than a friction swap bar.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Ramsail is on a distinguished road

I was very impressed with how well it worked. Obviously my enclosed trailer is small and isn't that heavy, but the trailer sway control kicked in every time a gust knocked it out of line and it made what would have been a white knuckle drive in my old ford into an almost pleasant drive.
Curt front trailer hitch-Access Lorado tonneau cover-Mopar bed rug-Lund Genesis tailgate seal-Steelcraft black nerf bars-Putco SSR Locker bed rails-and Auto Ventshield bug deflector-Husky Liners Molded Mud Flaps-Thule Roof Rack-Thule Goalpost
Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP26002.html

I have this dual cam system on my camper. Its the best system I have ever used. Much better than a friction swap bar.
That's a very nice setup, but the friction sway bar is as simple as an anvil, and you don't have to do weekly gym workouts to wrestle with all the hardware associated with the conventional load leveling and sway components. Yes, some vehicle and trailer setups just about require the more complex setup because of tongue weight, overall length, weak truck springs, and other issues. However, if you have a decent trailer tongue weight, an airbag or other suspension aid, and a well balanced tow package, this expense and heavy hardware is not needed. I've towed a 27" travel trailer and other towed items all over the western U.S. at high speeds in all kinds of windy and otherwise detrimental conditions with just airbags and a simple friction sway bar. It was very safe, and the trailer hookup and unhook takes a few seconds with no worry about stowage of the more complex hardware.

Now look...I'm not suggesting that people push the envelope with extremely heavy towing packages by shunning load leveling and more complex sway devices when they're truly needed. My travel trailer weighs just a hair over 5000 pounds when loaded and has a well balanced tongue weight. The friction sway bar does just fine and is safe. I pulled this trailer with an '89 full size GMC Jimmy 4X4 that was lifted. This vehicle had a super short 106" wheelbase with suspension assisted airbags and a simple friction sway device. Neither semi trucks at highway speed nor high winds upset this package. You just have know what you're dealing with when it comes to overall weight, weight balance, and the capability of your tow vehicle. I used my parent's load leveling setup on their truck and trailer setup one time some years ago, and it was a PITA in comparison to mine. If you need that setup because of the factors I already mentioned, then by all means use it. Safety first. I'm just saying this is often an overrated issue for all towing situations.