DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > HI-TECH Discussion

Notices

HI-TECH Discussion Web, computers, software, GPS, satellite TV, home stereos and other non-vehicle hi tech electronics.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default contemplating new cell phone

I've about had enough of my (so called) smart cell phone. I've got a Motorola Droid 2 that pretty much for the past 6 months or so has been giving me fits.

I'm due for an upgrade, but am just feeling cheap, as I'd rather my current phone function as designed than to purchase a new one.

The damn thing keep freezing up on me with text messages. It doesn't matter if I use the slide out keyboard or the virtual one, either way it'll freeze up, stop accepting the character inputs and pretty much just flip me off. I can hit the "home" key, back out of everything, and then go back in to the text messaging and it'll usually work for a bit.

I've done a "factory reset" at least 6 times, which seems to correct the problem for at least a little while, then it's back to "same old same old".

I'm looking at replacing this POS with the newish Droid 4 (I've got to have my slide out QWERTY keyboard). I can get the phone out the door for about $190, I'm just feeling too cheap to shell out the money for it at this point....

Anyone used one? What do you think of the Droid 4? I've looked several different places and the reviews seem to be pretty good. I'm not too worried about the less than steller display, as I'm not planning on watching HD movies on my phone...

end of rant

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

so I guess trying to talk to you about the I-Phone 5 due out this summer is out of the question ?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a SMART phone
Motorola has done me right a couple times, i took my phone in to the Motorola Customer Service center down in San Diego, i live about 20 miles from there, i told them what my phone was doing & they gave me a new phone as a replacement, they also offered me a upgrade when they started making them.
My replacement cell phone is definitely better than the one that it replaced & they downloaded my old phone book into the new phone.

I hope you find an answer to your problem
Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcoolvinilla View Post
so I guess trying to talk to you about the I-Phone 5 due out this summer is out of the question ?
LOL yup pretty much. I've played with the iPhones a little bit, and I didn't care for 'em. It's probably a comfort thing, though I've always been a little bit of anti-Apple. None of the iPhones that I'm aware of have a slide out QWERTY keyboard either.. the virtual keyboards drive me crazy

besides I'm pretty much fed up with the POS that I have now, so waiting until this summer isn't really an option....

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

It ain't the apple thing it's the I-phone don't get not stinking virus.. I had a razor forever and I mean forever.. now you could not give me anything but an I-phone.. i 4's rock but the I-5 is a whole new world !!!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

I shyed away from the iPhone for years and more recently the Droid due to the touch screens, and in favor of Blackberry. Yesterday i decided it was time for a change and went out in search of a droid, but ended up with an iphone 4. So far im loving it and the touch key board is easier to get used to then i thought. Im still learning the phone so time will tell, but so far i am kicking myself for not switching earlier.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi and as others said I love the iPhone too. Sold phones for many years and had the best of the best in Blackberry and Droids. Have the iPhone 4 and will probably buy the next one too.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Google jsut bought motorola so there are expected changes coming soon with all Moto phones.

Ive had just about every droid in the book and am currently on the new razr maxx and cant freaking wait for the iphone5 to come out so i can go back to an Iphone. The new droids jsut arent as awesome as they were when they came out.

IVe have them rooted and rom'ed and had one running on linux etc and i just dont like them anymore. I havent even touched the maxx yet and its giving me fits too

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
Nimz is on a distinguished road

I was in the EXACT situation as you. Had a Droid 2 that locked up repeatedly plus the power button stopped working. My only solution was to set the display to time out after 30 seconds before stuffing it in my pocket.

I don't regret it one bit, but I upgraded to the Droid 4. I am hooked on the slide out keyboard so the iPhone 4S was out of the question. Seriously, it is leagues above that piece of shit Droid 2. I've had zero hiccups and it's taken a 5 foot drop on concrete and I can't find where it took the impact, that sturdy. The processor is crazy fast too.
DiabloSport Trinity Custom 89 Octane Tune by Hemifever. Magnaflow Catback Exhaust #16869 & Y-Pipe #10778. K&N 63 Series CAI. Moe's Performance 87mm Ported TB.
Billstein 5100 front shocks @ 2.1".
Tinted windows. RhinoLiner. WeatherTech digital floor mats.
Allgig installed to RBZ & backup camera.
Debadged dealer emblems. Color-matched interior bezels, rain guards, tail lights & 3rd brake light, & front & rear emblems painted blue.
4"
Zone Lift w/ 3" Rear Coils & Nitro Shocks.
35/12.5/20 Nitto M/T on MotoMetal 951.
Color-matched Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM

I did some research on the droid forums the other day... (go figure info found on a forum). They had a fix for my problem, as it seems to be a fairly common affliction.

The short answer is that my problems lie in the "multi touch keyboard", and once the cache/ data is cleared everything should function as advertised. We will see. I didn't have any issues yesterday.

I've decided that so long as my phone continues to function, then I'll stick with the one that I've got. If it starts acting stupid again, it's history. I'm hoping that it'll continue to work through until at least July or August... I figure in six months or so the price of the phone will come down at least some, especially with the launch of the iPhone 5 due this summer.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I've heard that folks who have an iPhone love 'em, I'm just having a tough time giving up my slide out keyboard...

Exco
Bill