DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
ecoloqua is on a distinguished road
Default I dont want to give up on this truck..please help

ok heres what I have. 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad cab 4x4. Purchased 6 months ago from a Dodge Dealer. Mileage 60K. Since the day I have picked up the truck it has exhibited a "slushy" feeling which is much more pronounced the faster I go. At 75 on the freeway it is terrible.
The truck does not sway at all. The steering is very responsive and not much play. What happens is if turn the wheel from one way to the other the cab of the truck whips and keeps moving. It feels like the chassis is not tight to the body. Almost like the truck is surfing on water. I have owned several of these in the past and I know this is not normal. I really like this truck and I want to keep it and have spared no expense in trying to fix this problem. Here is what I have done so far:Alignment $80, New leaf springs $700, Rear Sway Bar $300, front steering box stabilizer $350, New Dodge updated steering kit up to 08' specs $800. Ball Joints checked ok (minimal play).
I have taken the truck to three different places and they cant find anything else wrong or worn except for the shocks. My shocks are original and are worn and need replacement. So I ordered a set of Bilsteins $350 which are on the way. Could it be the shocks?? This is all I have left to do except for the tires which are the correct load range, pressure etc. Can anyone help me please?? Anyone experience this side-to-side whip before???
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 01 ram 2500
Trim Level: laramie slt
Color: black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:13
eryk is on a distinguished road

Ive never had the whip myself, but i do know that worn out shocks can cause a floaty feeling
Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Thats EXACTLY what your problem is. The bilstiens should fix you right up

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft

Thanks that gives me hope! The Bilsteins should be here in a couple of days. I will post once I get them on.

Thanks there are some good folks on here
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
gusman is on a distinguished road

Try airing your tires down below the recommended PSI. My buddy got a set of new BFG Load range E on his 6. uh oh powerstroke and they called for like80psi or something. He said he couldn't even stay on the highway it was all over the place. Deflated them to 60 and it rides perfect now. Worth a shot and it's free...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks but Yes we already tried that. Didn't have much of an effect. Im really hoping that it's been the shocks all along. The only thing left after that would be to change the tires but It really doesnt feel like its in the tires.

Its hard to explain but it's not a 'skating feeling" but more like the cab and chasis are not attached securely. If you are on the freeway going around 70 and you change lanes fast the truck moves over but then the cab has an extra move that it makes. Its not up an down bouncing rather it's a twisting move.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Update

Well heres an update. I put the Bilsteins on yesterday. The truck handles just a little better but the 'sloshy' side to- side thing is still there at freeway speeds.
I have put in over 2K trying to solve this puzzle with no luck. The only thing left to do is change the tires. They are BFG rugged trail. The dealer installed them when I bought the truck so they only have about 10k miles on them. It would be a shame to just tosss them so I may have to wait until the tread wears away.
I really dont think it its the tires though. Its more like the cab of the truck not feeling connected and to the chasis when you turn the wheel at speed. The faster you go the worse it gets.
Also if I am in a long freeway sweeper going 70 I doesnt want to lock in to the curve I have to keep playing with the wheel to stay in the turn. Is there a bushing that can wear out causing this?

Nearing the end of the rope here.

Last edited by ecoloqua; 03-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

One last thing to throw out there to you experts.

I was driving on the freeway tonight around 70 and one thing I noticed is that the steering feels very responsive. Almost overly responsive. There is normal play in the steering but when input is made to the steering wheel it really jerks the truck to that side. Could it be that the steering box is adjusted too tight? The wheel returns to zero so I am not sure if it is the steering box or not. Just a thought but maybe this is leading me to have to fight to keep the truck in my lane at freeway speeds? Maybe the normal little inputs that I make while driving are being exaggerated causing me to over-control the truck?? After months of trying and thousands of dollars spent chasing this problem could it be something this simple?? any ideas on this??

Last edited by ecoloqua; 03-06-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Blueline41 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your steering may indeed be a bit tight, but I don't think that's what's causing your "slushy" feeling. Even if your minor steering inputs are being exaggerated by over-tight steering, I can't fathom how or why that would cause the loose feeling you're describing.

My first thought when I read your original posts was the suspension was crapped out, but with those Bilsteins on there and no change, it obviously wasn't the source of the problem. If you've had the suspension looked at, and they didn't see anything wrong with any of your stab bars, or sway bars...then it really is a bit of a mystery. I would've thought surely one of those would have been loose or something.

It sounds like a problem I had in an Altima I had a while back. The rear crossmember was faulty, and had basically almost come loose - and it caused a side-to-side swaying feeling, almost like the rock of a boat on choppy water. Found out it was a recall item, and had it replaced, which fixed the problem instantly.

Wish I had more of a firm answer for you, but I'd definitely get a second (or third...fourth) opinion on that. Just my .02
Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Burgandy
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
shawdog is on a distinguished road

I would spend some time under there looking at cab mounts, cross members, frame rails, spring mounts and the like. Sounds like something is loose. Good luck!!!