DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > Dodge Ram Forum UK
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMsteinUSAF is on a distinguished road
Smile 2010 3" lifted battering Ram to Old Blighty

Heyya Fellas
Newbie here with question. Ive lived in the UK half my life but this will be the first time bringing a Yank-Tank to the UK - Ive never imported before. Nevertheless, I know of a fella who will charge 1,500 quid to prepare my Ram for the inspect (including new lights, prep, inspect, etc etc), but I would prefer to do most of this prep work myself. Might anyone know where I can purchase the necessary lights for the install, and exactly what lights are required (I believe new headlights (left side), side indicators? and - anything else?? Also, a mate of mine said that bullbars were illegal (at least in Scotland). Is that factual or myth? Any assistance would be most appreciated as I would prefer to save some quid before bringing the wee beastie back hame Best Wishes Brodes

Last edited by RAMsteinUSAF; 11-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge RAM
Trim Level: Sport CREW
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
AngusH is on a distinguished road

For parts David Boatwright Partnership, Braintree, Essex may be able to help.

With regard to bull bars, a couple of decades ago they were popular here in UK, but they've now gone to ground as I believe they were outlawed due to damage to pedestrians on impact
!

Hope that helps.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Heyya AngusH - funny as I saw quite a few when I was back hame this past September - and find it odd the concern for a bullbar and pedestrians when the truck itself will be the true source of anguish for those struck by a truck - but its typical lunacy Dundee, now thats a great city
Old 12-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi ya
Yes, I agree; many of our laws are crazy, but most of us have to adhere to them! I wouldn't want to be a pedestrian hit by a RAM or any other vehcile, bull bars or no bull bars.

I never was sure that the rumours of laws re the bull bars were accurate; didn't concern me at the time as I was driving a 1.1 litre Ford Fiesta & mostly in London and surrounds.

There's been an obvious decline in Bull bars on the road and I think it could be that any existing bull bars or maybe those that were part of original vehicle when first registered are still allowed, but others not so. If that is the case and your RAM has bull bars already, you may get away with having them on UK road. If it were me, I'd probably keep them on until advised by law enforcement otherwise and just plead ignorance. Unless you damage a pedestrian with them, you'll probably be fine as long as you them have them removed if advised so.

Dundee is certainly up & coming; lots of regeneration projects over last few years. What part of the UK are you coming back to? I think there's one other RAM in Dundee, but since I picked up my new RAM in Essex on 1st Sept this year (now done 7,500 miles) I've only seen one other RAM on the road, that was in NE England on the M6.

Best wishes
Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Heyya Angush

I have properties in Falkirk, Lanark and Balloch that Im renting out for the moment but the plan is to move tae Calendar....I'd like to keep the bull bars so Ill do what I can - and one of my best mates in a former constable so Ill see what info he might provide.

Ive also been searching the YouTube for offroad driving in Scotland - we both know finding a country road can be somewhat difficult - especially in the west of Scotland

Right now Im running BF Goodrich all-terrains ATOs but have some Dick Cepak Mud Country's coming in the post - I plan to do some serious mudding.

Over the past year Ive been back three times, and now that my "mission" with the forces is on its last legs Ill be back for good this June...cannae no wait.

I do realise the petrol will take a bit of dosh but Im an outdoors kind of fella and the truck is my second wife - so she stays Right now I'm paying less than 3 US Dollars a GALLON for petrol - when I drive off base the Germans are paying that much a litre - but you already know that story - and know it well. It just burns my backside to think about the tax - perhaps Ill gather some lorrie drivers from Grangemouth and "fight the power"? Id also like to find a few people who enjoy offroading - its always safer and more enjoyable with a few trucks on a run, but that may be a challenge given the high rate of Ford Ka infestations I say that in jest but I'm sure I will purchase a wee VW Polo as well...
Old 12-08-2014, 04:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ah, so Scotland also! Calendar is a nice part of the world; my missus has freinds there. I'll be interested in what light your former constable freind can shed on the situation.

I've never done off-road (except the short stretch of unofficial or on foot up the hills), although I have a friend who does some with a Land Rover. nOne day if work and family committments allow, I'll take the opportunity and have some fun.

My RAM is a company car, so I have consider the risks I take! That said I'm hoping for some serious snow this winter.

Petrol prices are reducing, another couple of pennies off just this weekend; now down to 1.17/litre - still very high I know, but that's better than 1.35! I had a LPG conversion installed in mine before I collected it, so my fuel is about half the price. OK, so I lose 5 or 10% power, but I think I can cope with that and if I do think I really need full power, I just press the button and within a split second, I'm on petrol.

I'll join you and the truckers. I'd also love to do some off-road, even if as a navigator; rather than risking taking the sump out of my company car!

Do get in touch when you're back; all the best with the move; I'm sure the next 6 months will go quick.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, there are rednecks, but up our way Id would truly enjoy creating a "possy" of "bluenecks" - as we have no sunshine (bwahaha) - so June/July, be it alone or with a few others, my intent is to generate mud flying "rooster tails" somewhere near the three sisters - in Argyll and Bute Co-pilots and Wingmen welcome