DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyWV View Post
If you have 3.9 gears and 18 inch or taller wheels go with the 4 inch lift. You will be so glad that you did when it's done. The ride will be much more balanced as the front shocks won't be preloaded higher than the rear, and the drive line will be all in the same as stock angles. Stance will be exactly level when you are complete.
If you have 3.55 gears as I do then go the body/shock route first. If nothing else you can use the shocks with the lift afterward on factory settings. Going 35 inch on 3.55 gears is going to kill the engine(in my opinion), and will have you pissed off and wanting to turn the MDS off as it won't hold well on highway at all.
Thats not true at all. Many of us have 35s, 37s and 38s with 3.55s. The power is fine. Still has plenty of getup. I've made 3 2500 trips across country with my lift and tires setup....it did fine and didnt hunt for gears in the mountains. The 3.92s dont make a big difference. We've got mod for mod trucks doing runs, at 0-60 times their both dead even at 6.5 sec. Thats with 8" lift 37s, tuners and one truck with 3.55 the other with 3.92.

With that said I do have 4.56s now and its FUN to drive. Its better than it was stock. However its not in everyons budget. I say if you want to lift it, lift it and dont look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280RAM View Post
Ahhh...maybe its best that I just save for the lift.

The sticker I have says:

2012 Ram 1500 SLT CREW CAB 4x4
Trans: 6-speed Automatic 65RFE
Electronic Shift on the Fly Part Time Transfer Case

Nothing about gearing...but I got the contact page in my bookmarks to get the build sheet.
If doesnt say on your sticker, more than likely you have 3.55s. Crawl under the driver side of your rear axle. Theres a tag there, it'll tell you what you're gear ratio is.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

"..it did fine and didnt hunt for gears in the mountains."

MDS would not be engaged in the mountains unless you are pointed downhill.

"Thats with 8" lift 37s, tuners and one truck with 3.55 the other with 3.92."

Probably because with 37s the trucks are so far undergeared it really isn't noticeable between either!
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Bugaboo232 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"..it did fine and didnt hunt for gears in the mountains."

MDS would not be engaged in the mountains unless you are pointed downhill.

"Thats with 8" lift 37s, tuners and one truck with 3.55 the other with 3.92."

Probably because with 37s the trucks are so far undergeared it really isn't noticeable between either!
He never said MDS would or wouldn't be engadged, if your gonna go the lift/big tire direction your not going to give a shit about MDS. I plan on disabling MDS when a programmer comes out, for now i just bump it into 5th, the gas mileage loss is worth the extra fun.

No doubt they are undergeared, but thankfully we have HEMI's which love them high rpms.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaboo232 View Post
He never said MDS would or wouldn't be engadged, if your gonna go the lift/big tire direction your not going to give a shit about MDS. I plan on disabling MDS when a programmer comes out, for now i just bump it into 5th, the gas mileage loss is worth the extra fun.

No doubt they are undergeared, but thankfully we have HEMI's which love them high rpms.
Concur If you are going all out on 8 inch lift and 37's who care about how the rpm range at speed, or how it rides. Hard to have a bad beast of a truck and have it handle like stock. I'm just envious. I want 6 inch lift with 36 inch tires and 4.8 gearing in mine. Just too cheap to do it. Tail-lights!!
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Briliant Black
Rep:463
BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

I have 3.55 gears with 37's. I was the one Candy was talking about on the 0-60. I am really impressed how fast my truck is with 37's and my tuner set at 91octane.I have my MDS turned off.

If you are wantin to lift your truck just do it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHorn 4 Life View Post
I have 3.55 gears with 37's. I was the one Candy was talking about on the 0-60. I am really impressed how fast my truck is with 37's and my tuner set at 91octane.I have my MDS turned off.

If you are wantin to lift your truck just do it.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/superlift_tiresize.htm
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/math_wheels.html
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/gear-ratio-chart.htm

Glad that your happy with that current truck setup. Can we agree that by the majority of 4WD enthusiasts standards it's under-geared? Just trying to ensure that someone about to make the MOD with a lift kit and larger tires realizes they will sacrifice performance in 4WD low and fuel economy on the road by having to run with MDS off.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Concur If you are going all out on 8 inch lift and 37's who care about how the rpm range at speed, or how it rides. Hard to have a bad beast of a truck and have it handle like stock. I'm just envious. I want 6 inch lift with 36 inch tires and 4.8 gearing in mine. Just too cheap to do it. Tail-lights!!
Sounds like you need to read up some more. The 8" lift will ride better than the 6" lift. Only difference is a set of better riding and performing Bilstien struts! Also the power difference between 36s and 37s wont even be noticeable. The killer is tire weight. Scott is running faster than a truck with the same 8" lift with mud graps, diablo 93 tune, cutout, vararam and the "holy" 3.92s....may have other mods but those are the ones I can think of. Also you mentioned 4.8 gears? Im guessing 4.88s, are you 2wd? Thats the only way you can run 4.88s. Well be 2wd and some inner housing work, but it can happen!

Quote:
http://www.4wheelonline.com/superlift_tiresize.htm
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/math_wheels.html
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/gear-ratio-chart.htm

Glad that your happy with that current truck setup. Can we agree that by the majority of 4WD enthusiasts standards it's under-geared? Just trying to ensure that someone about to make the MOD with a lift kit and larger tires realizes they will sacrifice performance in 4WD low and fuel economy on the road by having to run with MDS off.
You're generalizing out truck. You need to go by specific application bud. Our trucks with 37s performs great with 3.55s or 3.92s. See for youself.... http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/04...t-in-moab.html

Also yor power wont be sacrificed of 4low. It will be down some in 4high when you get in deep thick clay. If that happens just drop it in 4low....its beast!! Ask me how I know

For your mpg. Your city will suffer a few mpg but hwy doesnt drop much. Thats if you live in the flatlands like this guy.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy08 View Post
Sounds like you need to read up some more. The 8" lift will ride better than the 6" lift. Only difference is a set of better riding and performing Bilstien struts! Also the power difference between 36s and 37s wont even be noticeable. The killer is tire weight. Scott is running faster than a truck with the same 8" lift with mud graps, diablo 93 tune, cutout, vararam and the "holy" 3.92s....may have other mods but those are the ones I can think of. Also you mentioned 4.8 gears? Im guessing 4.88s, are you 2wd? Thats the only way you can run 4.88s. Well be 2wd and some inner housing work, but it can happen!

You're generalizing out truck. You need to go by specific application bud. Our trucks with 37s performs great with 3.55s or 3.92s. See for youself.... http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/04...t-in-moab.html

Also yor power wont be sacrificed of 4low. It will be down some in 4high when you get in deep thick clay. If that happens just drop it in 4low....its beast!! Ask me how I know

For your mpg. Your city will suffer a few mpg but hwy doesnt drop much. Thats if you live in the flatlands like this guy.
Wow, I am at a loss for words on that information Candy!.

5280RAM; Sorry for thread jacking, let us know what you decide and how it turns out
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Briliant Black
Rep:463
BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

Candy is da man!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 express 4x4
Trim Level: Express/SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ssovereign311 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at getting a six inch lift... the place i am looking into, told me i could not use my stock wheels... whats the deal with that? can i use them or not? i see the red truck with the four inch lift, with stock wheels. i like the stock and would prefer to keep them