DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
uncletony76 is on a distinguished road
Default 1 year 2011 Ram Evaluation...

Good Morning Fellow Ram Owners

1 year ago today i purchased my first "Dodge" Ram 1500 Sport QC 4x4.
I was a GM / Chevrolet guy due to family working for GM and GM discount.
My wife took a job with a Harley Dealer that was partially owned by a guy that also owned a Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Ram dealer. He allowed me to purchase a truck at Chrysler Employee pricing. This brought the cost down for me and allowed me to finally buy what i felt was the best looking 1500 pickup on the market, A RAM!

Before purchasing my 2011 Ram 1500 i owned a 2006 Silverado 1500, a 2004 Avalanche, and a 2003 Silverado 1500. All vehicles were purchased new.

After owning my Ram for 1 year i thought i would post some thoughts about the Ram and my experiences so far.

I can say with a big smile on my face that my RAM is the 1st of my new vehicles to make it through the 1st year of ownership without ANY trips to the dealer for recalls / issues / warranty work. Pretty impressive if you ask me. Some of the chevrolets i had were better than others but i never had one that made it through the 1st year with 0 trips to the dealer for anything! I know people have had their issues with drive shafts and transmissions and rear ends (luckily mine was built after that issue was solved). I have truly been lucky with this Ram and enjoy driving it with the HEMI everyday! I still get excited to drive it all the time.

I have 13,000 miles on my ram over the past 12 months. During that time i have changed the oil 3 times, the 3rd time being yesterday. I switched to synthetic oil after draining the factory fill (as the oil change needed message showed up at 3500 miles, after switching to full synthetic the 2nd oil change message showed up at 8000 miles, and i changed it at 13 k yesterday but the message wasn't on yet but it had been 5k and i got the oil on sale.

There are very few things i would change on my Ram and most of them have been mentioned on the forums at one time or another. Most of my complaints have been cosmetic in nature (like the chrome ring around the center console blinding people, i plasti dipped mine) and the antenna being silver/metal colored (i also plasti dipped that).

As for mods, i put a set of step bars on and my truck being black i decided i didn't like the chrome step bars and plasti dipped those as well (it has held up great so far after 6 months.) I put a tonneau pro tonneau on as well. Vent Visor window covers, "HEMI" hitch insert in the trailer hitch, MOPAR T Shifter, and i Plasti Dipped all the Chrome Logos on the truck so they are black.

In a few months i am going to do the Y Pipe and Muffler Swap as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
whatroads is on a distinguished road

Nice truck! Which step bars did you choose?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Quad Cab 4X4
Rep:32
uncletony76 is on a distinguished road

i found some by a company called Back Country on the internet. Can't remember the site but they were less than 200 bucks. They were inexpensive and cheap to install. They aren't super fancy or anything but they do the job (getting my short wife into the truck). If i would have it to do over again i would have gotten them in the black powder coated finish. But it was easy to remove them and plasti dip them. The plasti dip has help up surprisingly well for being on the step bars and taking the brunt of stuff tossed up on them by the front tires.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat as you UncleTony....big time GM guy, and this is my first Ram. Matter of fact mine is nearly the same as yours...just a different color. The Ram won me over after the test drive. Always thought they were a sharp looking truck, but the Hemi power, and the interior design ultimately won me over. After a long list of Chevrolet's, GMC's, and Pontiac's I felt it was time to take a hard look at what else is out there which landed me in the Ram.

I've only got a little over 3k miles on mine, but she's been solid so far. Still having an issue with a slight highway vibration, and dealer is telling me it's the 20's. Road Force balancing has helped, but not resolved just yet.

I know all about my Chevrolet's going into the shop. Just last week my wife's brand new 2011 Traverse died, spent a week being fixed, and will need to go back again. The Chevy dealer has been good to us, but going through this nonsense all last week with her car helped reaffirm my decision taking a chance on a different brand for once.

I think if Chrysler keeps designing, and building sharp looking vehicles like this Ram, they might get more and more people like us to switch brands for a first time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 Ram Quad Cab Sport.jpg (43.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

hey uncle tony, did you not need the recall done on the rear end? maybe your truck build date wasn't part of it but it was so wide spread would make me think your truck is included.
looks are subjective and i do like the exterior looks of the silverados. they fail on the interior. this is my 3rd ram and i just keep enjoying the upward spiral in quality.
gotta love the sport hood you have. enjoy!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Dang,,, for once a positive thread about the RAMs.
I have had mine a little over a year and I actually have 38,000 miles and I love it and it's as solid as day one. This is my 3rd RAM after also being a chevy guy. Won't do that mistake again as my last chevy spent more time at the dealership getting one thing or another fixed than it did in my driveway/garage. You are right, they keep spiraling upward, getting better and better.
I like the idea of plastic dipping the antenna. I did my chrome shifter ring about 9 months or so ago and love that its now black and is holding up surprising well.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport (HEMI)
Trim Level: Sport (HEMI)
Color: White
Rep:60
Bighert3rd will become famous soon enough

I also have a 2011 that I have had for 1 year and 4 months (bought in September 2010). Only been to the dealer once for a recall item. I have about twice the milage as you though...I just hit 24,000. I have made many long trips in this bad boy.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

I've had mine for a little over 14 months now. It was in the shop for several days (total 40-some days) soon after I purchased it for the torque converter issue. Then a few more days for a power lock/latch issue.

Sorry to say that this has left me with a bad taste and I would not buy another Ram, but glad to hear from folks that have a new Ram that has been trouble free!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500 qc
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
kx250kev is on a distinguished road

So far my 2011 Ram is going strong!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Long horn/sport
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:12
readster1 is on a distinguished road

I my self used to be a die hard gm/chev guy and found myself in a 2009 ram sport Qc which turned out to be a electrical nightmare,in april 2011 I traded in the 09 and picked up 2011 sport Qc long horn package with all the bells and whistels.I had a 6" lift installed and aside from the dodge dealer dropping the ball on the install(had to get a 4x4 shop to dial in the suspention so it was safe to drive).other than that I will have had it a year next month put on 13k km(live in Canada) and I have had no issues with it and it is by far the nicest and best performing vehical I have owned love that Hemi
6" Pro comp lift,18" Fuel octain rims,Nitto trail grappler, custom CIA,Flowmaster 40,Catch can,Custom emblems,Debaged,Tinted 3rd.and tail lights,Painted headlights,Color matched grill,Painted engine cover,Color matched interior trim