DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RT RAM is on a distinguished road
Default dynamat?????

has anybody dynamated the doors? any less bass vibrations?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough

With all the plastic on the inner panel it can be a real pain to cover it all. A good alternative would be to cover the inside of the speaker pod and the surrounding area and just leave to rest alone. There is also spray on sound deadeners but I wouldn't do it to my doors.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior
Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
RT RAM is on a distinguished road

how do you cover the speaker pod?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough

I could have chosen my words better, sorry about that. What I meant was to remove the speaker from the door. Then coat the inside of the speaker pod, and the area around the speaker, about 2-4 inches. Cut small pieces and stick them along the inside walls of the speaker pod and the inside of the metal door skin. Some people will also apply a spray on product where the seams meet to have 100 percent coverage. This will cut down on any vibration that the speaker may cause within the door and also focus the sound in the direction the speaker cone faces. A wallpaper seam roller will aid you in getting the product firmly adhered to your truck, roll over every spot that you can. I didn't do this with the inside of my door panels before and it peeled off over time and screwed with my power windows. Not a fun thing to fix.

If you have not used sound deadening products before, the key is to limit any sounds other than that produced by the speakers. Sounds other than those coming from the speakers are additional decibels that your stereo system will have to overcome to reach a desired audible volume. For me, when I first used it I stripped down my entire truck and wrapped every surface, there was maybe 1-3 SQ FT in the entire cab that had not been covered. I have seen other people cover much smaller areas and still achieve great results. My point is that you don't need to cover every inch of your door panels, unless you want to, just focus on the areas that will encounter the most vibration.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior

Last edited by MoparMike10; 01-31-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about vibration dampening is you do NOT need to cover the entire surface, but rather the parts that will move when the speaker moves. There have been amazing advances in deadening materials but most people still think of just dynamat without taking any of the other types of noise into account.

To dampen vibration, you want a nice thick piece of butyl, and not rubberized butyl, the pure stuff with an aluminum sheet holding it in place; this is what dynamat is, but there are much better quality and/or less expensive brands (dynamat is the single most over priced product out there). You then want to put a layer of closed cell foam (ccf) followed by a layer of mass loaded vinyl (mlv) to totally capture any stray noise. Layering the inside door skin with a vibration reducing material (such as dynamat or any other product that's not as overrated) and at least a layer of mlv will drastically cut down on the noise inside the door panel. I would still dampen the large flat sections of the plastic inner door skin to prevent movement as well as lay some butyl rope around the points of the plastic door skin that touch the door frame to reduce any noise from those locations.

If you want to focus the speaker sound direction, you need to dampen behind the speaker itself, so a ccf cone held in place with butyl rope will greatly reduce the reflected noise from the speaker, and I agree with Mike that you should also dampen the area around the speaker as that's the most common source of vibration if it's not attenuated properly.

My recommendation for a better product than Dynamat at a comparable price is AlphaDamp's CLD tiles, they're the thickest butyl dampener you'll find. I used dynamat on my door skins and floor (I got it a dealer cost, so it was dirt cheap) but I made sure to use the CLD tiles on my roof, back wall, and tranny tunnel. I then covered the floor and vertical surfaces with the Luxury Liner Pro before putting my carpet back in. I can have my stereo cranked to max and you wouldn't hear it outside of the vehicle and even with the windows down the bass doesn't carry. This is where you can check out the AlphaDamp: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/AlphaDamp.php
Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:19
2k84by is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
My recommendation for a better product than Dynamat at a comparable price is AlphaDamp's CLD tiles, they're the thickest butyl dampener you'll find. I used dynamat on my door skins and floor (I got it a dealer cost, so it was dirt cheap) but I made sure to use the CLD tiles on my roof, back wall, and tranny tunnel. I then covered the floor and vertical surfaces with the Luxury Liner Pro before putting my carpet back in. I can have my stereo cranked to max and you wouldn't hear it outside of the vehicle and even with the windows down the bass doesn't carry. This is where you can check out the AlphaDamp: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/AlphaDamp.php
I completely agree that dynamat is extremely over priced, but to say the CLD stuff is the thickest....a 5 second search on ebay found a number of brands that have twice as much product, are 10+ mil thicker, and less expensive.

Search around, just check the thickness of the product you're looking for. Don't go with dynamat, it works the same as everything else, except it's twice as expensive.