DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mossy Oak Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
ChillyPhil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ChillyPhil
Default What Do You Guys Think About The Spectre CAI?

I'm looking for a cai for my 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2, and i was going to get one off ebay but i can't find it anymore. Then i was looking around autoanything and i came across the spectre cold air intake and it's only 150 bucks shipped and you even get 20 dollars mail in rebate.

What do you guys think of this system? Power/sound/reliability/installation wise?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
MONT.RAM is on a distinguished road

I have the spectre and I have no complaints. But I also have no real bragging to do either. I think it may have helped some with performance but I also have 35" tires that make it hard to tell. I have had it for almost a year I think now and have no issues with it so it seems pretty reliable. It does make a bit of whistle almost when you get on the throttle which I kinda like. As far as the installation goes.....I did have some issues. it was supposed to be a "bolt on" part. Not quite! The chrome tube from box to TB was a bit long. I fought with it for awhile to try to make it fit when I finally gave up and cut about a 1/2" off of it then it fit perfectly. Hope that answers your questions.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
nicraage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPhil View Post
I'm looking for a cai for my 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2, and i was going to get one off ebay but i can't find it anymore. Then i was looking around autoanything and i came across the spectre cold air intake and it's only 150 bucks shipped and you even get 20 dollars mail in rebate.

What do you guys think of this system? Power/sound/reliability/installation wise?
I just bought one from ebay for half o that. The seller has some more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-Cold...#ht_500wt_1413

I paid a little more to have it delivered to APO, and the seller shipped it right away.

Installation was easy, with the exception of fidling around for a while getting it to fit over the spacer (but it finally fell right in).

I can definitely feel the throttle response difference. I can also hear a huge difference when I step on the gas. My trans seems to shift real early, however when I step on the gas all the way. I'm having a bunch of work done, and I'll worry about that after it's all done.

I'm also going to modify it by adding some flexible gutter material to flow cold air from the grill to the box. Material is rigid yet flexible and will remain in the shape I want, and is also easily adjustable by length. It also looks like it belongs under the hood.

Downside: 1: I have a bit of a whistle between 3000-3500 rpm. I read that whistles are not uncommon, and not brand specific.
2: Not so sure I'm crazy about the aluminum tubing. I'm wondering if it heats up the air a bit. I'm thinking of wrapping the end with the clamp with electrical tape, and spraying the rest of the tube with some plasti-dip.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Alright thanks guys! Yeah i won't have a problem with big tires because i have just a tad bigger than stock. And would i have to tune it or anything after i get it on? I already have an aftermarket exhaust that runs into duals and i'll be getting this spectre cai. Would i have to do anything due to it shifting earlier than usual problem?

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 01-31-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
nicraage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPhil View Post
Alright thanks guys! Yeah i won't have a problem with big tires because i have just a tad bigger than stock. And would i have to tune it or anything after i get it on? I already have an aftermarket exhaust that runs into duals and i'll be getting this spectre cai. Would i have to do anything due to it shifting earlier than usual?
If I wasn't having a ton of work done on my truck right now (engine rebuild, kegger mod/ plenium fix, headers, exhaust, 4.56 gears, transmission rebuild, lift kit, bigger tires), I would definately do something about the shifting early. That is the only thing I had changed, so I assumed it was caused by the CAI. I'll be buying a tuner before all the work is done, which is why I wasn't too concerned.

Someone told me there is a way to tell your computer to reset by doing something like holding your gas pedel to the floor for x amount of time while its not running, or something, but I have not yet confirmed. Maybe someone can chime in.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Oh yeah, i wish i had some extra cash to do some of that to my ram. I really wish i could get one of those sct tuners but there about 300 bucks for the one i want. And i think i might of heard something about that gas pedel fix but i'm not 100% sure either.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Gossage55 is on a distinguished road

I have the same Spectre Intake on my truck. I've had it for over a year now. I cant say much about the sound (i hear my exhaust more than I hear the engine) but it does seem to add a better throttle response after all I believe it's a 4 inch tube sucking the air in. I love the look of it when you open the hood with the chromed tube and massive filter ...much nicer than the stock intake. The install was kind of difficult because it fits kinda tight under the hood. Also, the rubber tube was too short (a fairly common occurence from what I have heard), I had to buy a longer one from Lowes. But overall am very happy with it.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Alrighty thanks for all the replies! Hopefully i can get the actual spectre off of autoanything since i get 20 bucks back. Can't wait to get it next month!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram
Color: black
dvilone is on a distinguished road

any notice in mpg ? im thinking about ordering one today if you guys think it"s really worth it
Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

I have had it on for a year. Like mentioned above I also ran some piping from the grille to the box. Id easily claim 1-2 MPG increase. Install of it originally was simple. I did it in half am hour. Here's a link to the thread for the mod I did to it.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....194#post494194