DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Ok here is my take:

I doubt your Ram is getting to proper operating temp very often. This can create a lot of condensation that doesn't get burned off. Among other problems it creates acid in the crankcase that helps break down components and shorten the life of the oil and the engine. As good an idea as starting a vehicle sounds unless you are going for extended periods without starting the truck, you may be doing more harm than good. If you are using your Ram on weekends that is fine. Starting during the week won't help lubrication and will create more condensation.

I would recommend a full synthetic oil since it resists breaking down and sludging better than dino oil. Your engine likely calls for 10w-30 oil and I would recommend you switch to 0w-30. You don't need it from a temperature basis but the oil is thinner at ambient temperature than a 10w oil will be so it will more easily flow at start up,. The oil will have the same protection at temperature as the 10w-30. I don't believe 0w-30 is available as a conventional oil.

I don't recommend blends of any kind since I don't see the purpose other than marketing; in other words they are cheaper than full synthetic but try to claim some the same benefits. What I see is they still have the downsides of conventional oil; mixing them with synthetic doesn't change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
and just to clarify..... running a full synthetic DOES NOT extend oil change intervals!!!!!! remember, the oil filter has not changed in technology in almost 30 years! i run QS syn blend and still change mine every 3000! run more miles at your own risk!!!
I'll respectfully disagree here; synthetics certainly can extend oil drain intervals easily managing 25,000 miles for extended drain brands; the oil does not break down the way conventional oil does. I agree that oil filters are the weak link but 3000 mile oil changes are not necessary these days; even the service manual doesn't make that recommendation. Interim filter changes may be needed with extended drain oil though but not at 3,000 miles.

The truth is you are going to spend more per mile on oil maintenance than someone who drives their truck normally. A full synthetic will allow you to choose an oil that has superior flow at start up and will resist breakdown. Change the oil and filter every 6 months and you should be fine.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namretsud View Post
Two things. Stay away from the orange filters ( some of the worst quality in filter ratings) and you can make your synthetic last longer by changing the filter when you would ordinarily do your oil change. The oil is still good and the new filter will continue to keep it clean longer.
Still prefrance fram is all I have used withy synthetic, now some will disagree and all good but I run all my cars long and hard. Used to deliver pizzas never had an oil related problem yet. Now that I haven't done that for some time even less problem.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:16
redneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Ok here is my take:

I doubt your Ram is getting to proper operating temp very often. This can create a lot of condensation that doesn't get burned off. Among other problems it creates acid in the crankcase that helps break down components and shorten the life of the oil and the engine. As good an idea as starting a vehicle sounds unless you are going for extended periods without starting the truck, you may be doing more harm than good. If you are using your Ram on weekends that is fine. Starting during the week won't help lubrication and will create more condensation.

I would recommend a full synthetic oil since it resists breaking down and sludging better than dino oil. Your engine likely calls for 10w-30 oil and I would recommend you switch to 0w-30. You don't need it from a temperature basis but the oil is thinner at ambient temperature than a 10w oil will be so it will more easily flow at start up,. The oil will have the same protection at temperature as the 10w-30. I don't believe 0w-30 is available as a conventional oil.

I don't recommend blends of any kind since I don't see the purpose other than marketing; in other words they are cheaper than full synthetic but try to claim some the same benefits. What I see is they still have the downsides of conventional oil; mixing them with synthetic doesn't change that.

I'll respectfully disagree here; synthetics certainly can extend oil drain intervals easily managing 25,000 miles for extended drain brands; the oil does not break down the way conventional oil does. I agree that oil filters are the weak link but 3000 mile oil changes are not necessary these days; even the service manual doesn't make that recommendation. Interim filter changes may be needed with extended drain oil though but not at 3,000 miles.

The truth is you are going to spend more per mile on oil maintenance than someone who drives their truck normally. A full synthetic will allow you to choose an oil that has superior flow at start up and will resist breakdown. Change the oil and filter every 6 months and you should be fine.
this is the way i was explained about the oil change interval with synthetic oil... lets say you are pouring water into a cup, you can only pour so much water into that cup before it starts to overflow. now take that into consideration with the oil. if you start putting contaminants into the oil, the additives that are to catch that oil can only hold so much. so when all the additives are holding what they can handle, then what happens to the rest. i know most of you will say, oh the filter catches all the rest, well yes and no. the filter will catch the dirt and sludge, not the rest of it. that is the oils job. ive said it once and i will say it again, oil change intervals are by personal preference only.

also sir you do seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to oil and keeping your ram on the road, i just try to open up peoples minds when it comes to oil changes. i myself will continue with my 3000 mile interval.