DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport CC
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bassbolt is on a distinguished road

I have a fully loaded 2012 Sport ... 1500 miles on the ODO ... I get 10.3 around town and 15.7 on the highway .. hand calculated ... I expect to see better as the mileage goes up, but you never know
Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

It could be a simple thing like your air cleaner sucked up some bugs, hay, or other debris
The first time that i changed my air filter, the filter itself was Not that dirty, but when i pulled it out, the inlet tube leading to it was full of hay, bees & butterflies
I vacuumed out the air box & replaced the filter with a K&N drop in
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
nfsgt0 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2011 Hemi sport with the 3.92 gears and am noticing the same drop in mileage. I was also having problems with my rear axle. I would drive 30 minutes into town and notice a whining (which eventually turned into grinding) sound from my rear axle. I finally got it to the dealership and after the first recall back in February they told me that the truck needed an "additive" to the mixture because it was too think and not lubrication enough. After I had that done, the truck seemed more powerful and got great mileage. A few weeks later it was just about back in the same place but without the grinding sounds (so far). I am not sure what is going on. I am no expert but if I had to guess something with the axle. Also, the "recalls" seem to be a quick fix that is avoiding the big problem. Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4x4
SNFLWR is on a distinguished road

My truck was way better at less km. I got roughly 300km/ half a tank. City/hwy driving from 23km till about 4000km, but for I'd say the last 3500km she's getting worse progressivly, regularly averaging 120-150km per 1/2 tank for the last 6 months. Only recently started keeping a log to prove this. That's what I think is odd. Should it not be getting better as the engine breaks in?
Again I'm an ex Jeep wrangler unlimited owner and had the big tires and she was a brick on wheels especially in any form of wind. That being said I expected the truck to be more cost. yes it's a hemi for crying out loud but, it's been as bad as 240km/ a full tank of gas (121L) and that's what's been frustrating.
I took it in to be looked at, they drove her for 15km said she's fine, there was an o2 update they did that, then shrugged me off. When I picked her up I asked if nothing changes what's my next course of action they said bring her back and they would call Chrysler. Thus the reason for my thread I was curious if anyone else has this happening or is this below normal. Great fully I can see its not and I'll take her out again this weekend to see if anything changed but it looks like I'm heading back next week to try and sort this out again.
Again thanks everyone for taking the time to help and any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks I'll check the air filter and the rear axle. She was in 2 weeks ago and there were no recalls so maybe something was missed thank you do much for the ideas and potential solutions.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:643
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i know nothing of your metric system so i cannot calc if your mileage is reallly that bad. just want to throw out a few things, first, are you sure you are in 2wd and not all wheel drive. have you tried a different gas station. what is the terrain like, lots of hills? i am sure you thought f this, but i often tend to overlook the simple things. the emergency brake is fully released right?
also, did you check tire pressure?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Try adding an additive to your fuel such as seafoam or lucas. I know there is another type for cleaning out the ethynol crap that they put it the gas in the winter time now days and that plays a big part on my fuel mileage. I try to look for gas stations with ethynol free gas. I usually get around the 18-20 mpg on the highway,(and I have a very heavy foot), but with this winter gas crap sometimes I'm lucky to be getting 11 ish. I put the lucas fuel additive in my tank every 3 fill ups and it seems to really help..In my experience the dealerships don't know what to do and won't do anything. Also try the K&N drop in filter, this will help keep the junk out like someone else said.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: hunter green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
sylster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sylster

I'm getting 19.1L/100 KMS of mostly in town driving....best I ever got was 14.1L/100 on a very slow highway drive....I used to get around 18.1-18.5L/ before the cold weather hit...wonder if there is any relation to that....and before anyone asks...NO I don't let it sit at idle very long...it's parked in a heated garage all the time

so that being said....the mileage is all over the place.....alot depends on your right foot...and mine is pretty heavy at times

S.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue pearl coat/Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:13
gysnst2 is on a distinguished road

If it makes you all feel beter I was given a drivability update a while back now I get 10-11 miles per gallon. No maker how I drive and no matter what I am towing.
AVS bug guard, Mopar rubber mud flaps, Mopar vent visers, Snugtop cap, Remote tailgate lock, 392 LS, VHT tail lights, 9" LCD headrests, Debaged sides, tinted 20% front 35% rear, cabin air filter mod, topguncostumz 2,25 rear lift coils, bilstein 5100 set at 2.8, and bilstein 5100 rear shocks
Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well all suggestions I will look into... For the record no its not in 4x4 I may be a girl but not that silly, plus the winter here has been very mild with little snow no need for 4x4 yet since i got her. Except for one week where temps dipped and I expected higher fuel mileage at -38 with wind chill, but an average of -2 should not cause this situation in my truck. I don't Idle long either as she's always kept in the garage.
I'm also not driving hills mainly flat terrain and yes I used to have a heavy foot when she was not doing this, but have since had to drive Lightly because she's chugging gas right now. Which is part of the frustration because I really want to be enjoying her.

As always thanks for all suggestions and ideas all are welcomed and appreciated.