DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNFLWR View Post
They tried telling me this was normal not sure how 240km out of 121L is good.
That is so beyond good I can't put it into words! If my Ram was getting that kind of mileage it would be parked at the dealership until they had the damn thing fixed. Might be time to try a different dealer! The worst mileage I have ever had with the Ram (empty no trailer) was at -30C and was right around 538km per tank. This was with a whack of idling time. You definitely have an issue!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

is your mds working, just wondering if someone added 5-30 instead of 5-20 oil wt.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mrcivic is on a distinguished road

Maybe keep an eye on your RPM's while you are driving and look for anything that seems unusual like extra high revs or low for that matter. Check your diff to see if it is hot after a long ride, maybe dragging or not venting properly. Watch trans temp on the computer. Might even be a sticky ebrake or caliper. Don't let up on the dealer, the best thing that you can do is log your mileage like you are so that you can prove to them. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM Crew
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:23
2BlueCrew is on a distinguished road

Many good suggestions (things to check) have already been made. I also have a 4x4, Crew, with 3.92's and 32 gal tank, and like others my fuel mileage is twice what you are (now) getting.

I have a question to add: How does it feel (power wise) when you are driving it? Does it feel like it did when it was newer or has the power decreased along with the fuel mileage? Might be the fuel isn't getting burned properly and you are simply pushing more fuel through it to get the same desired amount of power.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

I am getting the same mileage as reported here. When my truck was new, I took the family to B.C. on a vacation. The truck was averaging around 11-12 L/100 highway. My truck now has just over 11,000 km and the gas economy isn't all it's cracked up to be. One thing to point out is these trucks don't fair in COLD weather. The gas mileage (mine) goes down substantially when it's cold outside. I'm talking around the -15 and below range.
I'm averaging around 560 KM on 121 L of fuel. I don't think that is very good. In the summer I was averaging around 670-750 KM on 121 L of fuel.
The dealers I have discussed this with don't seem concerned.

As for performance, I'm pretty satisfied with the pick up and go. The HEMI definitely performs.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Speaking of when it's cold... I just remembered something else to check. Now maybe it's just my silly Automatic Climate Control system in my Ram, but check for this. I usually run around with my ACC off (and instead open the sunroof and/or rear sliding window for fresh air). But when it gets cold and I need "heat" and I turn my ACC system knob from off (the O symbol) to the "AUTO" symbol and no matter how cold it is outside and no matter what I have the Automatic temp set to (like when it is set to 76 degrees), almost every time the system automatically starts with the little "snow flake" showing which means the Air-Conditioning is on. So even when it's 20 something degrees outside and I have my temp set to 76, the silly air-conditioning still comes on. I always have to remember to look for this and then push the snow flake symbol on my ACC panel to turn the A/C unit off. Obviously, when the A/C is running, it hurts fuel mileage. Maybe this is just my Ram, but check yours.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

In auto mode the AC (snowflake symbol) comes on to remove the moist air/humidity from the cabin then it shuts off. This keeps the windows from fogging up. That is why the AC comes on in auto mode. And it really has no ill effect on mileage.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
954rrmike is on a distinguished road

The ac compressor in mine cycles in defrost and blend modes even with the snowflake off. I also think it is cycling in auto mode as well. I have been listening for the compressor to determine if it is normal.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug713 View Post
In auto mode the AC (snowflake symbol) comes on to remove the moist air/humidity from the cabin then it shuts off. This keeps the windows from fogging up. That is why the AC comes on in auto mode. And it really has no ill effect on mileage.
Well then maybe mine is broken; because mine comes on and stays on until I press the snow flake button to force it off. It's been like that since day 1. Interestingly... my wife has a 2011 Jeep GC Overland with the same (looking) ACC system and her's does not act like mine. Her's does not show a snow flake when the temp is set as high as 76 or so. Very interesting...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Who knows.. I think these truck's have a mind of their own somedays and they just do whatever. Damn the technology...lol