DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

As far as tuners, you'd probably want the superchips over the diablo, as the superchips has the "advanced trans" option for a small fee on top of the price of the tuner, and it allows you to set your own shift schedules, etc. which people on the superchips forums who tow a lot rave about. You could run the tow tune which probably adds around 15hp and 30 lb ft (guessing but it should be about right) and you could also run the 87 performance tune (with 91 or 93 octane while towing) to get probably about the same power gains as the tow tune but with better mpg. Just some thoughts.

I love my superchips and it is by far the best bang/buck performance wise, and helps when towing, but I rarely tow so can't comment a whole lot about it...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:15
hotmach is on a distinguished road

Hi all.
Just got back from a run down to NC without the trailer this time. What a difference 6500lbs can make. Ha,ha.
We will be doing it again in three months with the trailer,so ... where can if find one of these chips ?

The truck is going into the shop tomorrow for some TLC. It ran fine on the trip through the mountains and a lot of off-roading but the transmission has developed a little whine. Shifts paper smooth, great mileage, levels cool, just a little whine. Took the pan off cut the filter open,all was clean and fluid was clear like new. May post this elsewhere.

In-short may look into some headers if the tranny is getting some attention,any models/brands you all recommend ?

Last edited by hotmach; 04-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

As for the tuner, unless you just want it right this minute the cheapest place to get one is to watch Ebay and Craigslist. You might find a fair deal on a new one but a used one is just as good as long as it is unlocked (tuning removed from the vehicle it was on). I believe a Superchips 3865 is around $350 new....I checked EB and CL three or four times a day for a couple of weeks and picked up a used one for $200 shipped.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here but I don't believe there are any factory made headers available for the first gen 4.7 are there? The 4.7 is fairly overlooked by performance manufacturers.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^There are shorties for the 1st gen 4.7L. Nothing for the 2nd gen (yet).

Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Checked out ebay for the superchip looks about $300 as you said. My truck is in the shop now for the tranny whine,so once i cross that bridge will be ordering the chip. I have 18's with Toyo MudTerraine over sized tires, will this effect the chips towing mode ?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM

It won't affect the performance, but if you are changing tire diameter you should use the tuner to correct for this. They have an option to adjust for tire size and this corrects the speedometer and odometer and things like that. FYI tow rating drops with larger tires. Also FYI, a tuner does not raise your tow rating, it does help tow more comfortably what the truck is rated for though. Not to say I never overload my truck lol....

Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Sean. Thanks.
I guess i'm still wrapping head around the function of tow haul mode, so am having a struggle with a toe mode chip that changes that shift assignment further. Hmmm.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM

I believe the tow/haul mode on the truck basically just holds the rpm's a little higher before shifts, and also rearranges the gears so as to use the 2nd prime ratio in normal up shifts, and this also locks out the 2nd overdrive. Tow/haul mode on the truck is totally separate and unaffected by an aftermarket tuner. You would still use it the same way even if you had a tune installed.

Gear ratio's when in "D":
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1 (not used in normal up shifts)
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th 0.67:1

Gear ratio's when in "Tow/haul":
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
3rd 1.50:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.75:1

This is for the 545rfe transmission which I believe your truck has.

The tow tune on the superchips basically just adds some hp and tq. It also changes the shift schedule a little(when the transmission shifts gears).

Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hey snrusnak Thanks for all your help, and the other post you made with the power-graphs. So a bunch of maybe silly comments/questions i now have.

Will my 392 gearing effect what those graph look like ?

I see used superchips on ebay for average $170, but am unclear on this advanced transmission option you speak of and how to get it and what it does.

On your torque graph i see that the 87 (octane?) tune at 3500rpm still offers a 25ft/lbs boost. You mentioned only the 93 tune had significant gain but I think even the 87 would be noticeable at this usable speed when i'm towing.

When towing across states as the gas prices change i treat the truck to higher octanes especially in the mountains. Will this still be doable with the chip or do i pick a grade and stick with it ?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Hey snrusnak Thanks for all your help, and the other post you made with the power-graphs. So a bunch of maybe silly comments/questions i now have.
No problem

Quote:
Will my 392 gearing effect what those graph look like ?
It will have no effect on the power output of the engine. You're lucky to have 3.92 though, it makes it pull easier, accelerate easier, etc. than if you had 3.55.

Quote:
I see used superchips on ebay for average $170, but am unclear on this advanced transmission option you speak of and how to get it and what it does.
That's a good deal. I paid like $360 new for my flashpaq. The one you need is 3865. Make sure they returned the tune on the truck back to stock otherwise the tuner will be "locked" and you'll have to send it to superchips and pay to have it unlocked. The advanced trans option is something you can download from superchips to the tuner after you own it, you have to pay more for it, I think it's like $60 extra, and it gives you more tuning options for the transmission settings.

Quote:
On your torque graph i see that the 87 (octane?) tune at 3500rpm still offers a 25ft/lbs boost. You mentioned only the 93 tune had significant gain but I think even the 87 would be noticeable at this usable speed when i'm towing.
All the superchips tunes(87, 91, and 93) give a nice increase over stock. I just meant that there's not as much difference between the 87 and 91 tune as there is between the 91 and 93 tune.

Quote:
When towing across states as the gas prices change i treat the truck to higher octanes especially in the mountains. Will this still be doable with the chip or do i pick a grade and stick with it ?
To use the tunes you have to run at a minimum the octane specified. 87 tune requires 87 octane or higher. 91 tune requires 91 octane or higher. Etc...

You are not supposed to tow/haul with the performance tunes, there is too much timing advance(for performance) and it can cause detonation. If you tow you either need to tune back to stock, tow tune(requires 91 octane or higher), or use 87 tune with 91 or 93 octane.

Don't waste money on higher octane fuel if it's not required, there is no benefit to it. If you are tuned to need it, then use it though.