DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

OH BTW!

The graphs I posted are NOT accurate for your truck. They are for a 2008 and newer 4.7L. Your truck does not gain as much, although it is still a gain. They should have the numbers posted on their site for your year.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:15
hotmach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
No problem

To use the tunes you have to run at a minimum the octane specified. 87 tune requires 87 octane or higher. 91 tune requires 91 octane or higher. Etc...

You are not supposed to tow/haul with the performance tunes, there is too much timing advance(for performance) and it can cause detonation. If you tow you either need to tune back to stock, tow tune(requires 91 octane or higher), or use 87 tune with 91 or 93 octane.

Don't waste money on higher octane fuel if it's not required, there is no benefit to it. If you are tuned to need it, then use it though.
So i should tune to 87 and use the tow flash and if i use 91 octane to waste money it wont hurt anything ?

Not using the tow haul mode kinda scares me as i'm towing to limit and want to save the tranny. Does tow tune get me the max torque power which i'm seeking, or only adjust the shifting. So ( just clarifying ) tow flash only works with 91 octane ?

Went to the Superchips site looking for my 4.7 power gain info and didn't at first quick try find it. where on the site should i look ?

sorry for all the questions snrusnak saw you were on this morning and am taking advantage. See Superchips has a forum would it help me ?

Last edited by hotmach; 04-06-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
So i should tune to 87 and use the tow flash and if i use 91 octane to waste money it wont hurt anything ?

Not using the tow haul mode kinda scares me as i'm towing to limit and want to save the tranny.

Went to the Superchips site looking for my 4.7 power gain info and didn't at first quick try find it. where on the site should i look ?

sorry for all the questions snrusnak saw you were on this morning and am taking advantage. See Superchips has a forum would it help me ?
Not sure what your first sentence meant. If you tow a lot, you could use the 87 performance tune and fill up with 87 for regular driving, or fill up with 91 for towing(the higher octane gives resistance to detonation/pinging that would occur under heavy load). Another option is to use the 87 tune for regular driving with 87 octane, and then when towing you can retune to the tow tune with 91 octane.

Personally, I prefer the 87 tune with 91 octane for towing, seems to pull as good as the tow tune but gets better mpg. Depending on the load though you may not be able to get away with this, you'll have to listen for pinging. You can also monitor the knock sensor with the data logging in the tuner to see if it's pulling timing under load. If it is then you can switch the tune.

Definitely ALWAYS use the tow/haul button when towing. If you don't you will likely burn up the torque converter clutch.

The superchips forum is pretty cool, the guy on there's name is Ron he could answer your questions as well. I think they have a FAQ page also.

Here's the superchips results for your truck(you were the guy with the 6 speed manual, right?):

https://www.superchips.com/Store/tab...q/Default.aspx

Oh I just realized...since you have a manual transmission, the advanced trans features don't apply for your truck. Also, I don't think you have tow/haul button on the truck because you don't have auto transmission.

Since you're a manual, your towing limit is probably reduced as compared to an auto.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Nope, no manual,got an auto. 2006 4.7L QC 8ft box 392 gears, something like 220hp 280tq. I think.
Tow once a year to NC from Toronto Can. a 33ft travel trailer through PA mountains.
I figure i'm rateted to tow about 7000lbs and a bit. the trailer is 6800lbs. loaded.

Was thinking i would program tow mode for the trip and then econ. when i get back. Might even program when i get to NC econ. then re-program for the trip back into tow again. If it is that easy to program in and out that is.

So i can use tow program and tow haul at the same time ?

Last edited by hotmach; 04-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Sorry, I talk to so many people lol. So yes definitely use tow/haul function whenever towing. The superchips has no effect on the tow/haul function, so use it as normal.

I think your truck is 235hp and 295 lbft stock.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Is it realistic to think i can flash in and out day to day ?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM

^retuning takes about 15 minutes.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks Sean, i'm going to scoop one on ebay and give it a go !
Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM

No problem, post back with feedback on how you like it

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Trim Level: SL
Rep:10
Tony I is on a distinguished road

yeah id love to know what kind of gains i can expect from my 03, as im looking to buy one and the website doesnt give much info on HP and Tq gains.