DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking for quieter than my Super 44...maybe this Magnaflow?

I have been considering a muffler swap. I currently have a Flowmaster Super 44 SISO welded in place of the stock muffler. I really like the aggressive sound and it's not really too loud but it does have pretty good drone in the cab and it also really brings attention to my 4.7 having to downshift and rev higher to maintain speed. So I have been thinking I might like something a little quieter. I found a vid that I like on youtube of a Magnaflow but it's a 22" and I'm afraid it might be too quiet (it's hard to judge from an online video). A little quieter than the Super 44 would be nice but I don't want it as quiet as stock. Any thoughts? Maybe an 18" Maggie? Thanks ahead of time.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 PM

starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

I've been listening to youtube vids all evening...hope my boss doesn't ask me what I did tomorrow, lol. I am really leaning towards a Magnaflow 11259 18" SISO replacement. Any thoughts on how this will compare to my Super 44? Also, the Maggies are listed as "reversible for custom installation". Does that mean they can be installed either way and sound the same? The 11259 is an offset in, center out and I need the opposite.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:19
NVFD740 is on a distinguished road

Magnaflow seems to be quieter than the Flowmasters, think its because of the way they are made. I was going to install a di/do Magnaflow on my truck but decided to go with Race Bullets instead. I think you would be satisfied with a Magnaflow, but may I suggest an 11" or 14" instead. You should get more sound out of it with a shorter muffler, some may argue that but it hasn't failed me in the past.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

I have the magna flow cat back system with 22" and it is definately louder than stock but still quiet enough for cruzing. also comes with some sexy 5" s/s tips to make it look so much beefier. But in the end its you that has to decide jusy how loud you want it
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. I would love to have a cat-back system but for money reasons I'm probably going to stick with the simple replacement muffler and a new stainless tip. I know the size of the muffler changes the tone somewhat but it also affects how loud it will be, right? On the same vehicle with the same exhaust setup a shorter Magnaflow will always be louder than a longer one won't it? That's kind've why I am leaning towards the 18". I was thinking it should be a tad louder than the 22" that I liked on youtube but still noticeably quieter than my Flowmaster which is a 14" muffler. I'm a little afraid that the 14" Magnaflow won't be noticeably quieter than my Flowmaster.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

There's no need for a cat back, the cat back is basically identical to the stock system with a muffler swap. The maganflow is "reversible" because it is a straight through design, not baffled or chambered. You will get more flow/power from the magnaflow (or any other straight through). IMO the straight through mufflers are quiet at idle and low (cruising) rpms but loud at heavy throttle times.

You may want to check out dynamax (maybe it's dynomax?) they are good straight through mufflers, they have a muffler that has a valve in it that is spring actuated and the valve closes at low rpms and directs exhaust flow to a chambered area to quiet it down but opens at high rpms to allow as straight path to allow more exhaust flow and noise. Similar setup to the stock c6 corvette mufflers, and many others...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

And yes the longer the muffler the quieter it will be assuming they are all the same diameter (more volume = quieter).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT BigHorn
Color: Husker Red
Rep:10
bigredtruck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
There's no need for a cat back, the cat back is basically identical to the stock system with a muffler swap. The maganflow is "reversible" because it is a straight through design, not baffled or chambered. You will get more flow/power from the magnaflow (or any other straight through). IMO the straight through mufflers are quiet at idle and low (cruising) rpms but loud at heavy throttle times.

You may want to check out dynamax (maybe it's dynomax?) they are good straight through mufflers, they have a muffler that has a valve in it that is spring actuated and the valve closes at low rpms and directs exhaust flow to a chambered area to quiet it down but opens at high rpms to allow as straight path to allow more exhaust flow and noise. Similar setup to the stock c6 corvette mufflers, and many others...
^ yup

Magnaflow or Dynomax. Straight through design. Deep deep LOW rumble at idle and even gets quieter when cruising around town. but when you put the gas peddle down it'll scare little kids and old people. I personally run a Dynomax. Never been happier with a muffler. You also dont get that high pitched "pinging" noise under heavy acceleration like you get with chambered mufflers, i.e. Flowmaster.

oh and mines a 17" Si/Do dumped right in front of the rear axle. I dont like the look of tips hanging out the back end of a truck.

Last edited by bigredtruck; 02-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredtruck View Post
^ yup

Magnaflow or Dynomax. Straight through design. Deep deep LOW rumble at idle and even gets quieter when cruising around town. but when you put the gas peddle down it'll scare little kids and old people. I personally run a Dynomax. Never been happier with a muffler. You also dont get that high pitched "pinging" noise under heavy acceleration like you get with chambered mufflers, i.e. Flowmaster.

oh and mines a 17" Si/Do dumped right in front of the rear axle. I dont like the look of tips hanging out the back end of a truck.
That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I'm not a huge fan of pipes out the back either except on the new Rams with the sport bumper. Mine is run out the stock location and I like it a lot. It would be nice to do a SI/DO and have it out both sides but I'm pinching pennies so I can spread some money elsewhere on my truck.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 AM

Well I just ordered a Magnaflow 18" oval muffler (#11259) from Summit. Hope to get it installed Friday and will update then.