DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Off-Road
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Mopartruckin is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Shop - What say you???

Less than 1k miles ago I took my 2001 Ram 1500 4WD (168k miles) truck into the shop for some transmission work under warranty. The shop was very helpful and seemed to be a stand up operation. They got my truck in and out in a week and handled all the warranty stuff. They ended up doing a full rebuild (everything new inside the case). Truck ran wonderful, shifted great and I felt confident that I was good to go for atleast another 150k miles.

Well, not the case. We had a pretty good snow about a month ago and I used the truck in 4wd half a dozen times to get back and forth to work. I didnt go out and play, get stuck, abuse the truck at all. On the way home I was getting on the freeway and as I was merging into traffic the truck all of ther sudden began to rev/surge and wouldnt shift (kind of like it was hunting for a gear). The speedo also was acting really weird and sluggish. I limped it home and the next day took it into the shop (under their direction). I could hardly get the truck to move and could go over 12 miles an hour or the tranny would "unlock" and the truck would just rev. Actually once I got it to the shop it was so bad they had to winch it on to the lift.

They told me that the REAR gear cluster had welded itself together and accused me of getting it stuck and "rocking" the truck back and forth which heated up the rear gear pack and welded the band or something to the drum. They also said my thermostat was stuck and he wouldnt warranty the transmission unless I had him fix it. When I went to pick it up the invoice he gave me only said "transmission repair under warranty" had no parts breakdown or any explanation on what was done. The kid I picked the truck up from at the shop wasnt the mechanic who did the work and couldnt tell me anything. I feel lucky that he covered his own work but I was treated like a dirt bag who went out and abused the truck.

So, what do you guys think? Why would the reverse gear problem affect the froward gears and prevent the transmission from engaging? What does the thermostat have to do with the transmission? What could he have done wrong the first time to make this happen. Please help me out, as I am going into the shop tomorrow and would like to be armed with some info.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopartruckin View Post
Less than 1k miles ago I took my 2001 Ram 1500 4WD (168k miles) truck into the shop for some transmission work under warranty. The shop was very helpful and seemed to be a stand up operation. They got my truck in and out in a week and handled all the warranty stuff. They ended up doing a full rebuild (everything new inside the case). Truck ran wonderful, shifted great and I felt confident that I was good to go for atleast another 150k miles.

Well, not the case. We had a pretty good snow about a month ago and I used the truck in 4wd half a dozen times to get back and forth to work. I didnt go out and play, get stuck, abuse the truck at all. On the way home I was getting on the freeway and as I was merging into traffic the truck all of ther sudden began to rev/surge and wouldnt shift (kind of like it was hunting for a gear). The speedo also was acting really weird and sluggish. I limped it home and the next day took it into the shop (under their direction). I could hardly get the truck to move and could go over 12 miles an hour or the tranny would "unlock" and the truck would just rev. Actually once I got it to the shop it was so bad they had to winch it on to the lift.

They told me that the REAR gear cluster had welded itself together and accused me of getting it stuck and "rocking" the truck back and forth which heated up the rear gear pack and welded the band or something to the drum. They also said my thermostat was stuck and he wouldnt warranty the transmission unless I had him fix it. When I went to pick it up the invoice he gave me only said "transmission repair under warranty" had no parts breakdown or any explanation on what was done. The kid I picked the truck up from at the shop wasnt the mechanic who did the work and couldnt tell me anything. I feel lucky that he covered his own work but I was treated like a dirt bag who went out and abused the truck.

So, what do you guys think? Why would the reverse gear problem affect the froward gears and prevent the transmission from engaging? What does the thermostat have to do with the transmission? What could he have done wrong the first time to make this happen. Please help me out, as I am going into the shop tomorrow and would like to be armed with some info.

Thanks
No most likely they didn't rebuild it propely, the rear planet is responsible for reverse, 1st gear and it locks to cause 3rd gear, now the rear clutch is responsible for 2nd gear I believe I cannot remember. Point is the shop is full of idiots like most transmission shops just rebuilt it yourself or have a mom pop guy rebuild it, I can even rebuild it if you want. I rebuild them in my sleep and I specialize in ONLY older torque flites yours included.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks for the response. I got it back yesterday from the shop but I dont trust the truck now. Hopefully whatever was wrong has been correctly and permentally corrected. I am thinking of ditching it and looking for a 98' 12-valve with the NV4500. Might be time to roll some coal, havent ever dabbled in diesels
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I got it back yesterday from the shop but I dont trust the truck now. Hopefully whatever was wrong has been correctly and permentally corrected. I am thinking of ditching it and looking for a 98' 12-valve with the NV4500. Might be time to roll some coal, havent ever dabbled in diesels
I love diesle, I want a 3500 series so bad, The only issue with diesel engine is the lack of knowledgable people to work on them. You should keep what you have, no sense in wasting something that can be so easily repaired, you just got stuck with a shitty rebuilder. Thing is that I rebuild a transmission in 2 days and never a problem, these other clowns take a week and look what happens, it is nice they stood by the repair but just that they treat you like crap is what bites. Well no sense in buying another truck that may potentially have or develope problems, besides, if you get a used truck you cannot relie on the transmission in it because you don't know of the condition were atleast with a rebuilt one you have some sense of assurance.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I love diesle, I want a 3500 series so bad, The only issue with diesel engine is the lack of knowledgable people to work on them. You should keep what you have, no sense in wasting something that can be so easily repaired, you just got stuck with a shitty rebuilder. Thing is that I rebuild a transmission in 2 days and never a problem, these other clowns take a week and look what happens, it is nice they stood by the repair but just that they treat you like crap is what bites. Well no sense in buying another truck that may potentially have or develope problems, besides, if you get a used truck you cannot relie on the transmission in it because you don't know of the condition were atleast with a rebuilt one you have some sense of assurance.
You got a point!!! I am just now shaking all the gremmlins out of this truck and once I do I should have a pretty squared away rig. Next is going to be the motor, go through the T-case, have the limited slip rebuild, tie rod ends etc. not exactly in that order though. Need new leather seats, window switches......the list it long....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You got a point!!! I am just now shaking all the gremmlins out of this truck and once I do I should have a pretty squared away rig. Next is going to be the motor, go through the T-case, have the limited slip rebuild, tie rod ends etc. not exactly in that order though. Need new leather seats, window switches......the list it long....
Don't need to list, I have been through most of what you have listed already. I rebuilt the transmission, the interior, partially exterior, cooling and heating, now moving onto the rear end.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Don't need to list, I have been through most of what you have listed already. I rebuilt the transmission, the interior, partially exterior, cooling and heating, now moving onto the rear end.
I have been going through the same thing pretty much, just hammering out the dents to get a worry free vehicle. I am going to be towing alot so I don't want any issues, I having been working hard on my truck but I atleast won't have to worry about having a tow truck fallowing me lol
Old 02-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
I have been going through the same thing pretty much, just hammering out the dents to get a worry free vehicle. I am going to be towing alot so I don't want any issues, I having been working hard on my truck but I atleast won't have to worry about having a tow truck fallowing me lol
Exactly!!!! I dont want to be up at 5000ft elk hunting and be left stranded, good luck getting a tow truck to come up there, hell good luck finding me!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly!!!! I dont want to be up at 5000ft elk hunting and be left stranded, good luck getting a tow truck to come up there, hell good luck finding me!!!!!!
Exactly why I am having dynotech made me a driveshaft, and upgrading to the 1350 U-Joints. Also a good reason why I rebuilt my transmission, I actually rebuilt my transmission on acident, I misdiagnosed a faulty fuel pump for a transmission issue, but it's a good thing because the transmission actually was damaged. But anyway's if a dynotech shaft is good enough for a majority of nhra teams and nascar it's good enough for me. I'm going to be towing my 32 foot travel trailer 6000Lbs with a 5000Lbs van up vermont mountains. So want to make sure everything is rock hard. Dynotech DOM steel 4" driveshaft with 1350 spicer u-joints, transmission with alto red eagles, koleene steels, 6 pinion rear planet, total end play of .06", low stall torque converter, 3-row all aluminum radiator, external transmission cooler. all ready to rock and roll, oh yea new koyo rear bearings with yukon seals. and all new good years
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Exactly why I am having dynotech made me a driveshaft, and upgrading to the 1350 U-Joints. Also a good reason why I rebuilt my transmission, I actually rebuilt my transmission on acident, I misdiagnosed a faulty fuel pump for a transmission issue, but it's a good thing because the transmission actually was damaged. But anyway's if a dynotech shaft is good enough for a majority of nhra teams and nascar it's good enough for me. I'm going to be towing my 32 foot travel trailer 6000Lbs with a 5000Lbs van up vermont mountains. So want to make sure everything is rock hard. Dynotech DOM steel 4" driveshaft with 1350 spicer u-joints, transmission with alto red eagles, koleene steels, 6 pinion rear planet, total end play of .06", low stall torque converter, 3-row all aluminum radiator, external transmission cooler. all ready to rock and roll, oh yea new koyo rear bearings with yukon seals. and all new good years
I can't wait to I order my dynotech shaft in apri, I am so excited. OH BOY!!!!