DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default How to slot stainless steel tip?

Hopefully this week while replacing my muffler I am also going to be replacing the tip that's on my truck with a new slightly different style. Ideally I need a 16-17" tip but I cannot find one. The most popular tips seem to go from 12" to 18". I would like to go with the 18" but the exhaust hanger nearest the back is in the way and is going to push the tip out about an inch farther then it needs to be. If I could slot the back end of the tip about an inch then it would slid right up around the hanger with no problem. Anyone know the best way to do this to stainless steel? What will it do if I cut/drill/grind on it? Will it cause premature rusting or any other issues around the slot? Thanks.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
mblatz is on a distinguished road

From experience working at my workplace fab shop, stainless steel can be cut, drilled or welded, but when drilling, you must take it SLOW and keep the pressure on, to keep it from heating up. If it heats up, it hardens, and dulls the drill bit really quickly. When welding, you should use Stainless wire with the proper gas. As for cutting, you can use hacksaw, cutting wheels, etc. When you are done cutting, clean up the edges with some 220-grit sandpaper to remove any metallic bits that may have transferred from the cutting tool to the work. The other metallics are what will rust if left on the piece! Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 AM

ok, so i wrote this huge blurb about how to do this, and the site glitched when i wanted to post it, but anyways, here goes again:

- Drilling: when drilling Stainless, you want to take it easy, but keep the pressure on. going to fast will heat the stainless up and this will cause the stainless to harden, thus dulling your drill bit real fast!
- Welding: when welding stainless, use stainless wire, and the right gases for the job, not the same as welding mild or high carbon steel
- Cutting: When cutting stainless you can use either a hacksaw or cutting wheels, either will work fine, but with hacksaw, it goes the same, nice and easy, watching your heat. when you are done cutting, be sure to hit the cut with a piece of 220-grit sandpaper to clean up the cut and remove any foreign contaminants that may have transferred from your cutting tool. These are what will cause the rusting

Hope this helps! -Michael
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Thanks for the great reply. Yes, that's exactly what I needed to know. I may just go with the 12" tip and not bother but if I could just slot the back end of the 18" tip about one inch deep and the width of the exhaust hanger, I could use it and have the stainless tip run all the way to the first bend in the exhaust.

One other question...and this is just more out of interest than need as I'm sure the exhaust shop is equipped to weld SS....what happens if you try to weld SS using improper materials? Will it simply not work or will it work but be of terrible quality? Thank again!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 AM

Well, welding with the wrong gas, depending on the gas will give a very poor weld quality and appearance, you will have bubbles and a lot of spatter, and as for wire, well, welding stainless with mild steel wire will result in the weld rusting rather quickly and maybe even some of the stainless with it, because it is contaminated with the mild wire's properties. Mild steel is a more porous metal while stainless is a denser material.