DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Audacious is on a distinguished road
Default VVT (Variable Valve Timing)

Hey ya'll. I was bored and decided to look at the Ram website for a little demonstration of the cylinder shutdown in our HEMI's.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2012/ram...ty/powertrain/

This actually kind of scares me. If you click "Watch Fuel Saver Technology" you clearly see all 8 cylinders firing at first then it shuts down 4 of em. I don't actually know the numbers of the cylinders but assuming the first left one from the front of the engine is number 1, they shut down 2,3,5, and 8. I mean the cylinders still move but have no detonation and no gas supplied to them if I am correct.

However without that extra push, without the extra force, wouldn't those cylinders wear less than the other 4 which ALWAYS have a spark? Kind of weird to me. I feel as though the 4 that are always firing are going to wear much faster.
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram r/t
Trim Level: R/t
Color: White
Rep:14
Zedison is on a distinguished road

I have had the same thoughts about the wear thing myself but idk if they change which cylinders are cut off for a certain amount of time or something like that may be in the computer programming but it has the wheels turning and would like to know more about this because i know cadillac did this way back in the day and had a problem with it messing up certain cylinders in the engine and having to change motors all the time maybe someone with a lil more knowledge can chime in
2/4belltech drop,mufflex muffler delete,debadged,front,rear sway bars,adjustable trac bar,5%tint,87mm moes throttle body trinity with hemifever tune afe stage 2 cold air and long tubes on the bottle with 6.1 intake on the way
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Exactly how I feel. Every time I hop in my truck now I make sure to turn off the VVT.

I would hope that it switches which cylinders are shut off but from the preview I don't see that.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 PM

Yeah you can go to your dealer and have them turn the eco mode off and never have to worry about it i have been contemplating this my self
2/4belltech drop,mufflex muffler delete,debadged,front,rear sway bars,adjustable trac bar,5%tint,87mm moes throttle body trinity with hemifever tune afe stage 2 cold air and long tubes on the bottle with 6.1 intake on the way
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

A quick correction, what you are talking about is the MDS system, not the VVT system. For others that are looking, the VVT system advances the timing of the cam at higher RPM so you're not stuck with the same compromise-based camshafts of old where you either had a low rpm torque monster, a high RPM brathing demon, or a compromise cam which gives performance is all categories but will never be great at any one area. The VVT system allows the same cam to be a high torque cam and at a certain RPM it advances the timing to allow for a higher breathing ability to tackle the requirements of feeding the high RPM range.

As for the MDS, it is always the same cylinders, they will never change cylinders because you still need to balance the engine's rotating assembly. You won't see any more or less wear on an MDS engine because the oiling system still functions regardless of cylinder firing. Your piston rings still allow the same amount of oil to coat the cylinder walls so you'll never see an over lubrication and even if the cylinder doesn't have any combustion in it, it's still compressing and decompressing the same volume charge as the other cylinders, so it will still generate piston blow by at the same rate.

Hope this helps and sheds some light on the two technologies.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Still think I just might opt to turn eco mode off completely. I knew the MPG I was expected to get when I bought the truck. I had a 95 Dakota with the 318.

I just don't like all this knew technology that I don't understand lol. My ol 318 was the simplest thing ever. Kinda miss it at times....
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
tiddy2005 is on a distinguished road

Good Info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
A quick correction, what you are talking about is the MDS system, not the VVT system. For others that are looking, the VVT system advances the timing of the cam at higher RPM so you're not stuck with the same compromise-based camshafts of old where you either had a low rpm torque monster, a high RPM brathing demon, or a compromise cam which gives performance is all categories but will never be great at any one area. The VVT system allows the same cam to be a high torque cam and at a certain RPM it advances the timing to allow for a higher breathing ability to tackle the requirements of feeding the high RPM range.

As for the MDS, it is always the same cylinders, they will never change cylinders because you still need to balance the engine's rotating assembly. You won't see any more or less wear on an MDS engine because the oiling system still functions regardless of cylinder firing. Your piston rings still allow the same amount of oil to coat the cylinder walls so you'll never see an over lubrication and even if the cylinder doesn't have any combustion in it, it's still compressing and decompressing the same volume charge as the other cylinders, so it will still generate piston blow by at the same rate.

Hope this helps and sheds some light on the two technologies.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 AM

Okay i didnt know much about it and yes it is mds i called it eco mode cause i went brain dead for a minute but i havnt had any issues with it or heard any just didnt know much about it but the engine is still ballanced if you alternate cyclinders in the firing order from just for instance say 1-3-5-7 shut off and then 2-4-6-8 it would still be ballanced to run on four cylinders so why wouldnt they program that into the system or correct me if im wrong just curious

Last edited by Zedison; 09-28-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Didnt finish
Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Guys remember Dodge has used this technology since 2004 in the Hemi. We haven't heard of issue yet so I don't think you need to shut off MDS.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: BRIGHT WHITE
Ductmate is on a distinguished road

i was told it cant be shut off by the dealer