DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

When we have these discussions about Amsoil , I'm such a believer in it , that I get up on my soap box and preach about it that I can't stop ..lol

I have a friend that is a machinist , that does alot of race engines . He has a 8 second altered that runs Amsoil . He too believes in it so much , that he runs the same oil all season long and that at the end off the season when he tears it down to be freshened up he saves the used Amsoil for his tow vehicle which is a Cummins Turbo Diesel . So whats that tell ya . I'm done now !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Longhorn 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Pearl Brown
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
hicksrt is on a distinguished road

Tom, well said. I'm going to do just that, run AMSOIL, perform the oil analysis and be satisified. Thanks again for all your input and comments.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
That was old technology and myth . The dealer ship will tell you otherwise I'm sure . But as long as you have the ability to perform a oil analysis and prove to them the oil's still good , there's nothing they can do about it . I wonder how many mechanics in their shop use a pure synthetic like Amsoil . And besides , what they don't know won't hurt them .
tom, new engines, new metals, closer tolerances due to better machining have certainly played a role in replacing old tech. as for the myth part, can't agree. there was a time when you couldn't go too much past 3000 miles due to oil breakdown. a long with the new tech, came such an improvement in oils, it might be safe to say that the new dino oils are as good as the synthetics from 20 plus years ago. along with the new tech, and better oils, engines have increased oil capacity which also plays a role in the longer oci. 350 engines in the seventies only held four quarts. not saying you can't do the extended amsoil thing, but its not for me. also, chrysler doesn't have to prove anything, they just ask to see your receipts from your oil changes.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
DBryant is on a distinguished road

What Huntergreen said is correct. If you have an engine failure and the dealer says it's your fault and will not repair it under warrany, they don't have to prove it, you do. All they have to do is say it and your stuck. You can't force them to do the repair work. You are stuck with a broke down vehicle while you get a lawyer and sue them. I don't know about you, but I can't afford that. It's your responsibility to follow the oil change requirements in the owners manuel. Keep your warranty, it can get very expensive without it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

I've run Amsoil before and sent out for an analysis. I changed the oil at 8,400 miles ran it for 11 months. I used ASL 5-30 and Amsoil's filter. I didn't need to top off. The TBN was nearly gone at 2. I can't see it going 25,000 miles EVER without doing harm to the engine. Going 1 yr yeah. Amsoil claims 25,000 miles or 1 yr for normal driving and 15,000 miles when driving severe service. Look up what "severe service" is. I bet everyone falls within that unless you are in FL and drive on hwys. all day. Severe service includes excessive idling, WINTER driving (cold starts/temps), stop and go traffic, towing, etc. Don't blindly follow Amsoil's claims. Doing oil analysis (many) will help you find out how far that oil will go in your particular vehicle, extending your oil change interval. Remember one thing, COST. Doing an oil analysis (one) costs between $20-40 depending on where U send it and what tests U want done. Amsoil oil isn't cheap, neither are their filters. There are other alternatives that are just as good and cost far less. Simply doing one more oil change with regular dino oil or cheaper synthetic oil per yr. (every 6 months) is better IMO. I change mine in the late Fall before winter and then again in the spring no matter what oil I'm using. Amsoil is a quality boutique oil, I've used it, but don't fall for all their hype.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant View Post
What Huntergreen said is correct. If you have an engine failure and the dealer says it's your fault and will not repair it under warrany, they don't have to prove it, you do. All they have to do is say it and your stuck. You can't force them to do the repair work. You are stuck with a broke down vehicle while you get a lawyer and sue them. I don't know about you, but I can't afford that. It's your responsibility to follow the oil change requirements in the owners manuel. Keep your warranty, it can get very expensive without it.
Actually that is not correct.There are laws that specifically prevent dealerships from doing what you say. If there weren't what would stop dealerships from claiming any claim was due to your negligence.

The dealership has to show that what you did created the problem. If you leave your cooked oil in there and run it well past the recommendation then you're likely in trouble but if you use due diligence, with proper fluids you will be fine. If you use extended drain oil you would be well served to get UOA at the recommended OEM oil changes. One recommendation I would give would be to make sure you get an oil sample if you have a major failure before you give the vehicle to the dealer. If the oil failed when used properly a company like Amsoil will then cover the repair. If your oil is good but your claim is initially denied by the dealer you can use the oil analysis to help your case.

But the real truth is this: major oil related failures are fairly uncommon and if your oil is clean and in good shape a claim isn't likely to be an issue if you do have a failure.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Even though the newer synthetics like amsoil probably are better and last longer, I still like to change my oil every 5,000 miles. Its cheap insurance. Regular maintenance and keeping the proof of frequent oil changes will add value to your vehicle when it comes time to trade in or sell. Nothing helps resale value so much as a great maintenance history.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

have over 211k miles on mine so far, started using amsoil years ago and i change mine between 25k-30k/ once a year...still runnin strong...
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue pearl coat/Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:13
gysnst2 is on a distinguished road

I have used amsoil in my last 3 trucks. 25000 mile with the amsoil hd filter, remember it supposed to be 25000 or once a year. Date to me means nothing. Oil doesn't break down in the oil pan. But I always change the filter at 12000 miles or around their. I have always gotten better gas mileage. Even when towing. My last truck Had amsoil in the trans transfer case rear and from diffs. I did a small test. And did everything at different times. Had the oil tested after 6000 miles and the oil came back at 98% oil life or better every time. Yes the rear gear oils is amazing. Slick as shit. The trans fluid is also super slick. Their is one oil I think is better but hard to find. I only use this in my snowmobiles. ITS called TORCO. I'd use it in my truck but like I said its hard to find. I'm not going to have oil shipped.
PS I also use the 100:1 in all my small engine 2 stroke engine's and love the increased power.
AVS bug guard, Mopar rubber mud flaps, Mopar vent visers, Snugtop cap, Remote tailgate lock, 392 LS, VHT tail lights, 9" LCD headrests, Debaged sides, tinted 20% front 35% rear, cabin air filter mod, topguncostumz 2,25 rear lift coils, bilstein 5100 set at 2.8, and bilstein 5100 rear shocks
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 DODGE RAM
Color: WHITE
Rep:10
michaelman501 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
first and foremost, how does this affect the warranty? i come from the days of three thousand mile oil changes and would never be able to go that long on one oil change. i change at 6000miles now but cant see myself going longer than that ever. must be getting old.
I have to totally agree with you...I think not changing your oil for such a extended period of time would definately void your warranty, even with an oil analysis. I change my oil every 3000 miles and will always continue to do so, once my warranty is up i may go a bit longer. The last thing i need is the something happening to my engine and dodge saying "well you havent changed your oil for 25,000 miles" Just my 2 cents.

Michael