DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Actually that is not correct.There are laws that specifically prevent dealerships from doing what you say. If there weren't what would stop dealerships from claiming any claim was due to your negligence.

The dealership has to show that what you did created the problem. If you leave your cooked oil in there and run it well past the recommendation then you're likely in trouble but if you use due diligence, with proper fluids you will be fine. If you use extended drain oil you would be well served to get UOA at the recommended OEM oil changes. One recommendation I would give would be to make sure you get an oil sample if you have a major failure before you give the vehicle to the dealer. If the oil failed when used properly a company like Amsoil will then cover the repair. If your oil is good but your claim is initially denied by the dealer you can use the oil analysis to help your case.

But the real truth is this: major oil related failures are fairly uncommon and if your oil is clean and in good shape a claim isn't likely to be an issue if you do have a failure.
we are required to change oil at certain intervals and be able to show proof of doing this to keep warranty valid. you are right though, engine problems due to oil failures are far and few between, but they do happen.
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
we are required to change oil at certain intervals and be able to show proof of doing this to keep warranty valid. you are right though, engine problems due to oil failures are far and few between, but they do happen.
It's not really that straight forward.

Maintenance is not required it is technically recommended (there are legal reasons for our protection they can't require certain things). However, if you don't follow the manufacturers recommendations you "may" void your warranty. Imagine the abuses if they could actually require maintenance. "I'm sorry sir, the ball joints won't be covered under warranty. Apparently you are 52 miles over your required tire rotation."

In truth though, that argument really has little to do with this discussion. The only way oil can create a failure is if it worn out, too dirty or too low. If you go to a dealer with one of those issues you better be able to prove the dealer was the one who put that oil in there within the required interval. If you did it yourself or had it done at the quickie lube they likely won't cover it no matter when the oil was changed;. If the oil is clean, in good shape and at the correct level, it's highly unlikely you will have a failure due to oil. So if you have a major failure it is likely caused by something else. If that is the case they will look at the condition of the oil and as long as it checks out they probably won't even bother asking when the last change was.

Extended oil changes are fine but they don't remove the responsibility of due diligence on your part. They are not an excuse to ignore proper maintenance they just change how it needs to be done.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

those of you who do the 3k/3 month old changes show how young you are.. when me and my friends first heard of that frequency we all thought it was a conspiracy among the oil companies..comon, 3k/3 months? we all thought it was a joke when it first started..
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Where are these stories coming from about the dealer/manufacturer voiding a warranty because the vehicle owner doesn't have some kind of ironclad proof of oil changes? Unless the dealership finds clear evidence that the owner was extremely negligent in doing the oil changes...like an oil pan full of sludge or no oil...the burder of proof rests with the dealership/manufacturer to show negligence on the part of the owner. You don't see dealerships displaying this type of behavior with any frequency to any degree. In fact I think most of us find them to go out of their way to provide a good warranty experience for their customers while the vehicle is in warranty. We are their future customers as well as their current customer. Maybe dealerships in some areas behave differently, but I couldn't for the life of me see how they'd stay in any kind of business if they did.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM

huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

we could debate this for years to come, chrysler can and has voided warranty for after market mods. they call it "flagged". if you are willing to fight them with time and dollars without the use of your vehicle, should you have a problem, more power to you. amsoil is good stuff, but its not for me. i am up to six thousand oci and will stay there. and i save my receipts.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
we could debate this for years to come, chrysler can and has voided warranty for after market mods. they call it "flagged"
All manufactures do this but they have to show the mod was the cause of the problem. If you use a chip to retune your engine and you blow it up, your not covered but adding a CAI won't void the warranty unless they can show it was related to a failure. I run a bypass filter; if one of those lines breaks, the oil drains out and I blow the engine it's not covered. However if the oil pump goes while under warranty they can't deny my claim unless they can show the bypass filter contributed to the failure.

Quote:
f you are willing to fight them with time and dollars without the use of your vehicle, should you have a problem, more power to you
As mentioned above, I'm not sure where these horror stories of dealers denying warranties are. For the most part I think dealers try to give the benefit of the doubt on warranty claims most of the time. Maybe if you do a lot of performance mods it's a problem but that is another debate. The discussion here is about oil changes.

Quote:
amsoil is good stuff, but its not for me. i am up to six thousand oci and will stay there. and i save my receipts.
That's great. I'm glad it works for you and I'm not saying your wrong in your maintenance choice. My point is claiming a dealer will void a warranty if extended drain oil is used (assuming its done correctly) is absolutely false! The law specifically states that the burden of proof is on the dealer to show how your use (including maintenance) of the vehicle voided the warranty. If your oil is in good shape they can't do it; whether you have a receipt or not.

I think in general the idea of a dealer being able to deny a claim based on oil changes assumes that the oil is toast after 15 or 25k miles. If that was the case then yes there would likely be an issue. However most people I know who use extended drain oil (like Amsoil) are at least as, if not more, careful about car maintenance than the average driver who takes there car in to the dealer by the book. It's just a different system. I change my twice a year with about 12 -15k miles between changes. I don't go longer because I do a lot of towing. However I'll put money on the idea that the oil coming out of my engine is in the same or better condition than most oil coming out of an engine from the 3-5k mile change group and I'm sure it's cleaner due to my filter setup.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 AM

highland, if you search through some jeep forums you will find guys getting their jeeps flagged after installing a lift kit. flagged means NO warranty. we both know that a lift kit can't hurt a radio, but because the jeep is "flagged" there is no warranty. took lawyers and a lot of time to sort this out. the dealer i use has confirmed that it is the dealers discretion as to when to void a warranty, but they do not go out of their way to do this. when i asked about amsoil extended drain intervals they said good stuff, but if there was ever a problem and you can't produce receipts for reg. oil changes, you are screwed.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^that's not true. Yes a dealer could void warranty on the drive train due to a lift kit, but they could not void the warranty to something like a radio or anything else not directly related to the aftermarket parts/work done. They may tell you otherwise but they are not correct. Technically they couldn't void the drive train warranty either without proving the aftermarket part cause the problem, but you'd have to fight them with a lot of time and money to see that through.

Asking the dealer if aftermarket parts will void the warranty is like asking the bank if they'd like you to pay your mortgage this month, of course they will say yes. If you ask the dealer if an aftermarket part will void the warranty they will almost always tell you that it will, because it will save them money when they don't have to do the warranty work.

Most people at the dealer don't even think about it being several aspects of a warranty anyway. If you say "will a lift kit void my warranty" they will likely say "yes", but that questions and answer don't even make sense. It should be "will a lift kit void any portion of my warranty" and their response should be "it will most likely void the drive train portion of the warranty, but nothing else".

Lawyers have spent time on this, and there is a case about this I think it's the M&F act or something...I'm sure someone else knows what it is.

There's always a grey area as well. For example if you put a lift kit on your truck and your transmission starts having problems, well that's a grey area IMO. It's not like the ball joints that would almost definitely be due to the aftermarket kit, and it's not like the radio that would almost definitely not be due to the aftermarket kit, it's sort of in between. Those are the ones that cause problems.

IMO, extended interval oils and oil changes is a grey area. I would say though if the oil is recommended for a certain mileage and you have documentation of it being changed at that mileage, and take samples and test them along the way, there's no contesting that. If the dealer does fight and win and void your engine warranty due to it, then the oil manufacturer would most likely take care of it and fight the dealer and win.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM

first this is true, when i say after market, to be clear, i am talking about parts that alter the original design, ie lift kit, changes the geometry. as for the radio in the jeep, should it still have been covered, absolutely, but it would be cheaper to pay for a new one than to fight chrysler. as for the amsoil, i would hate for some one to read about amsoil, think they can use it in a brand new truck, leave it in for 25000 miles or a year, and think there warranty is intact. thats why amsoil offers a warranty on their products, they know mfg warranty is gone if you don't follow mfg minimum maintainence. there is a big difference between your perception in how things should be vs how the real world works.

Last edited by huntergreen; 02-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

I thought this post was about oil and oil change intervals?