DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Color: White
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road

The general opinion seems to be that aside from conflicting times on when oil should be changed, amsoil is fantastic. So if one were to choose to switch to amsoil. where can it be purchased?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I registered as a dealer so order it online, there is a warehouse near me so I just pick it up, but you can have it shipped as well. I think highlandchef is the one who told me about registering. There's a small yearly fee but in my case I save a lot of money overall. You can also register as a preferred customer.

Many motorcycle shops will carry it as well, maybe check around you.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Hey I hate to be the downer here but I've tried amsoil and IMO did not live up to its reputation. One on my coworkers is an amsoil rep and gave me a good price. I bought enough for my truck and my wife's van. Unfortunately the oil broke down in both vehicles by about the 5000km mark. I have no idea why, the rep says that my vehicles must both have oil leaks. I disagree with his assessment because neither vehicles had any premature oil breakdown problems prior to using amsoil and I have used other sythetic oils in both vehicles before amsoil with no problems. The mileage on my vehicles are both relatively low Truck=157,000 Van=147,000. Sorry if this post doesn't coincide with everyone else's opinion of the product.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^how do you know it broke down, did you have it tested?

I wouldn't say 150,000 miles is "relatively low" mileage. There's probably some wear coming from the bearings, etc...

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post

I wouldn't say 150,000 miles is "relatively low" mileage. There's probably some wear coming from the bearings, etc...
Sorry let me clarify, broke it down is probably a poor choice of words. By about the 5000km mark I had to add a litre of oil to both the engines. Keep in mind also that before using Amsoil I didn't have issues with my oil levels being low on the dipstick. I use premium brand oil filters (Wix with my oil changes).
Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Hi sorry again, my vehicles are not in miles, we do it in kilometers here in Canada, (were a little backwards haha). 150,000km, which is a little less than 150,000 miles, I don't know exactly how much less, but regardless neither of our vehicles were showing any signs of bearing wear or issues of the sort.
Don't get me wrong I would love to use Amsoil again, I would just like to understand what happened here, they have a geat name in the industry.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM

Ok I understand. That's very strange that the engines started consuming oil with amsoil, it doesn't really add up.

I agree with most that regardless of type of oil, the most important thing is changing it when it needs changed. I've had no issues going 5,000 miles on the amsoil OE oil (cheapest amsoil product). I'm going to see how it looks at 7,500 miles next change...

Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Ok I understand. That's very strange that the engines started consuming oil with amsoil, it doesn't really add up.

I agree with most that regardless of type of oil, the most important thing is changing it when it needs changed. I've had no issues going 5,000 miles on the amsoil OE oil (cheapest amsoil product). I'm going to see how it looks at 7,500 miles next change...
Cool man, thanks for all the info. This has been a useful thread. I'm thinking of going back to conventional oil in both my vehicles (what have i got to lose) and plan to pay attention to the levels on the dipstick. I do like the Amsoil brand and will definately give it a try again. Unfortunate that both my vehicles acted the way they did, likr you said its strange and doesn't add up.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM

^Are you sure you didn't fill the oil to "full" (with an empty filter), then once you started the engine the filter filled up and the level dropped ~1/2 to 1 qt? Every time I change mine it ends up a half qt low after the first start up.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

I ran Amsoil in my 99 neon up to 250,000 miles...the only reason I switched was because I didn't pay my renewal fee for membership. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum; which is also a good oil.
But.. I ran 20,000 miles on oil changes and had 1 oil analysis done at 20k and it said the oil was fine. I decided to set my schedule at 20,000 and ran that up until the 250,000 mile mark. I used the Ea filters later as they were not available at first. Before the Ea filters, I ran Mobil1 and changed it at 10,000 miles. Here is a pic of my top end at 260,000: