DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^Are you sure you didn't fill the oil to "full" (with an empty filter), then once you started the engine the filter filled up and the level dropped ~1/2 to 1 qt? Every time I change mine it ends up a half qt low after the first start up.
Good call, the filters were both empty but I did check the levels the next day and added back up to the full line.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
first this is true, when i say after market, to be clear, i am talking about parts that alter the original design, ie lift kit, changes the geometry. as for the radio in the jeep, should it still have been covered, absolutely, but it would be cheaper to pay for a new one than to fight chrysler.
Comparing Jeep lifts and oil changes is interesting but completely irrelevant. First a lift kit changes a vehicles suspension in a way that voids at least part of a warranty and the owner knows that going in; we're discussing maintenance here. As for the radio I have no idea but I also have no information. The only reason I could see a change in suspension affecting the warranty on a radio is the "intended use" clause in a warranty. If you use a vehicle for uses not intended then the dealer can void your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
as for the amsoil, i would hate for some one to read about amsoil, think they can use it in a brand new truck, leave it in for 25000 miles or a year, and think there warranty is intact. thats why amsoil offers a warranty on their products, they know mfg warranty is gone if you don't follow mfg minimum maintainence. there is a big difference between your perception in how things should be vs how the real world works.
If you don't like Amsoil that's fine but at this point you are making claims that are untrue and it's obvious you don't know what your talking about. Again your comparisons of suspension changes and oil changes simply are not valid!

Warranty claims are payed or denied based on failure analysis. For a lubricant to void a warranty it must be shown to be directly responsible for the failure. Simply if the oil didn't cause the failure the warranty is not voided regardless of brand or length of time in use. That is the law. Even if you use cheap store brand oil; if the oil is still in good shape the warranty is still valid. Now if your oil is fried and your engine fails that's different, but that is on the owner.

As for the Amsoil warranty it covers an engine failure that can be directly traced to using Amsoil products in a sound engine. It does not replace a manufactures warranty and it a requires that the oil be in good shape and have caused the failure.

The common thread there is the vehicle owner and their responsibility. Whether you use extended drain oil or the store brand at you local supermarket you have a responsibility to make sure the oil in your car or truck is in good shape and at the proper level. Not doing that could definitely void you warranty. Extended drain oil is not a dump in and ignore it for a year product; it requires maintenance. That maintenance is less and cheaper than frequent oil changes but there is some responsibility.

So if you don't like Amsoil fine but please don't make claims, for which you have no proof, other than anecdotal stories of incidents that are not comparable to the subject.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
04SCRAM is on a distinguished road

Amsoil is good but so is Mobile One fully synthetic. What you should really consider if you want to go to extended drain intervals is adding an oil bypass system with an external oil cooler. I'm using Mobile One 0W30 with a Fram XG16 for my full flow filter and then Tee'd off my oil pressure sensor to a Wix 51749 bypass filter then through the oil cooler then tapped back into the valve cover for the return. I have just over 18k miles on my oil and it is just slightly darker in color but still has the same consistency. I did change the full flow at around 12k miles. Using the Wix 51749 filter also adds almost 4 quarts of oil to your capacity and has a micron rating of 5. Amsoil's micron rating is around 2 and most full flow filters are between 12-25. The bypass filter will clean your entire crankcase capacity about every 5 minutes. I have the same Wix filter system on my work truck and have gone over 25k miles before changing the oil. And we are doing oil samples every 10k miles. All samples came back with nothing wrong. The only reason for changing it was that the oil wasn't synthetic, just Chevron Delo 400LE 10w30.

Jeff