DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
mrtosh is on a distinguished road

If you claybar the truck in the winter will these spots come back? My 2012 white Ram is doing the same but its on the lower doors, the bumper, and tailgate. They only appeared in the winter here. Guessing it's from all the salt on the roads?
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Rep:147
TVL will become famous soon enoughTVL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty33 View Post
Ever since I've owned white trucks (is there any other colour?? ) I've had issues with small orange rust spots showing up on the paint...all over the vehicle. I'm sure it's there on all vehicles regardless of colour...it's just that it really shows up big time on white

I've heard everything from rail dust to environmental fallout as the culprit. Personally I think it's got something to do with all the salt, sand & chemicals used on our roads in the winter up here in the north. Reason being it seems the rust spots only rear their ugly little heads in the winter time. They're mostly concentrated on the sides (more toward the rear) and tailgate, but find them all over...even non metal surfaces such as bumpers, fiberglass tonneau cover, etc.

With some "elbow grease" & scrubbing they do come off but it's a real PITA . Early this winter, I figured I'd try some preventative maintenance...I had the truck professionally buffed completely & waxed. Much to my despair, 2 weeks later and the rust spots were back all over.

Now what? As mentioned, I've dealt with this for years (7 or 8 white trucks plus numerous white cars) but have really just about had enough of the continuous scrubbing. Not quite ready to give up on the white colour either though. I can't imagine I'm the only one here...anyone experience this as well with a solution?

Thx! john
I've noticed those spots also on vehicles I have owned. It's not rust. It's residue left when your tires throw small bits of asphalt. Every piece that hits your vehicle leave a brownish spot that looks like small rust spot. I get them on my silver bottom on my truck. My wife has a silver jeep which gets full of them. Mostly, it's a problem in the summer, but they show up in the winter too.
Use a bug and tar remover to get rid of them and then wash and wax your baby!

Cheers!

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a modaholic.

MODS: 6" RCX Lift, 37"X12.5R20 Trail Grapplers on 20" Moto Metal 962 Black/silver rims, remote tailgate lock, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, LineX spray-on bed liner, Amp Research Power Step, magnaflow 18" muffler, S&B CAI, Passenger Front Ejection seat, Diablosport Trinity1000 tuned with Hemifever 89 tune, Spyder Projector/HID 8000K/CCFL Halos/LEDs Headlights, Retroshop Projector/HID/8000K/CCFL Halo Fog Lights, Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights & LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light, fully stocked bar w/tap, BT Catch Can, Chrome & Black Mesh studded Grille, HID Reverse Light Kit, customized tailgate badge....more to come!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamManCan View Post
I've had the same problem along with others. The clay bar works also there is some spray to put on that cleans it off that the G/F's dad told me about. As far as what caues it, at first I thought it was the metallic fleck in the paint but the general consensus is that it's the rail dust from the trains when they get transported. It probably will continue to happen cause, I think, the clay bar only removes the rust stains not the particles of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparDude View Post
The Clay bar should remove the iron particles that are embedded in the surface. Then wax the truck. The spray you are referring to I believe is Oxalic acid (diluted). As with any corrosive product care must be taken when using it. Clay bar is the safest!

And for all you white vehicle lovers, we have a saying in the collision repair industry... White is right! It usually hides most imperfections...
It is rail dust as well as other metallic particles in the air such as break dust. As people have stated before clay bar will remove this.

As for the spray you guys are speaking of, it's called Iron X. It's made to be sprayed on cars and wheels, turns purple as it eats away the iron. Check out auto geek dot net.
I have used this before using clay and cuts a lot of the hard work out since the metal deposits have been taken away by the Iron X. After wash/rinse real well, then continue with polish, wax, and sealant.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

You will see these rust specks on any light colored vehicle, I live in NE Canada as well and you'll see it more in the winter as these metallic particles (brake dust or whatever it is) oxidize a lot faster with the coating of salt all over our vehicles. If you get real close dark vehicles will have them also, just a lot less noticeable. Clay bar works, but I'd do it in the spring. A good coat of wax in the fall and regular washes is the best way to prevent these spots from becoming stubborn

I wanted a white ram sport real bad but went with mineral grey for this reason alone, I'll have my ram for 10 years likely and I simply couldn't live with this, I'm too OCD!

Last edited by RAM SPORT CREW; 01-08-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Laramie
Trim Level: stock
Color: Black, is there any other colour?
Rep:42
britplod is on a distinguished road

This clay bar seems to be quite good stuff, but what is "clay bar"
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by britplod View Post
This clay bar seems to be quite good stuff, but what is "clay bar"
its what its called, a bar of clay, its is used to remove everything off your car paint, best way to use one is:

1) Wash your truck, a-z, do not do this in the sun, you are removing everything off the paint, all wax, tar, bugs, grit, everything, the paint will not have any protection at this point.
2) get a spray bottle and fill it with water, then add 8 drops of "dawn" dish soap, no more than 8 drops or it will be pretty strong.
3) spray small area at a time with the soap mixture and rub clay bar on paint.
4) constantly change turn the clay bar over as you progress on the truck
5) fully rinse your truck
6) Fully wax your truck, 2 coats is the best, 3 even better.
7) step back and love what you see.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

Or use quick detailed spray. Most clay bar kits come with a detailer spray that I've seen/used
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Or do what I do and never wash your truck

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Laramie
Trim Level: stock
Color: Black, is there any other colour?
Rep:42
britplod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
its what its called, a bar of clay, its is used to remove everything off your car paint, best way to use one is:

1) Wash your truck, a-z, do not do this in the sun, you are removing everything off the paint, all wax, tar, bugs, grit, everything, the paint will not have any protection at this point.
2) get a spray bottle and fill it with water, then add 8 drops of "dawn" dish soap, no more than 8 drops or it will be pretty strong.
3) spray small area at a time with the soap mixture and rub clay bar on paint.
4) constantly change turn the clay bar over as you progress on the truck
5) fully rinse your truck
6) Fully wax your truck, 2 coats is the best, 3 even better.
7) step back and love what you see.

Ask a silly question i've never heard of it before i thought it was some sort of brand name to a cleaner. i'll ask around
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brillient Black
Rep:10
Black Warlock is on a distinguished road

When i used to have my detailing shop I would have to deal with this all the time. I would usually claybar the vechicle. On contractors trucks that cared enough to pay the extra to remove the rust spots i would use a fall out remover i would get from supplier. Just spray onto a wet vechicle let it sit and sometimes you might have to work it in if really bad and then just rinse off.