DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yates367 View Post
Bad plugs can do this as well. 40,000 miles on original plugs is quite a bit.

In any case, I don't even get what most people are averaging with the 4.7 engine. So I'm going to test this out.

Normally I get better gas mileage if I stay around 70 on the expressway but it doesn't help with this truck. Other things I've tested but not with my dodge yet is filling up at half tank. I don't know why but this has given me 2 to 3 more mpg. I was told this by someone years ago and didn't believe them. So I tried it. And it definitely works.

I drive 50 miles round trip and 48 of it is expressway to work and still only average 12.5 at best and 11.5 at worst MPG with cruise usually set at 70 give or take. One thing I noticed with my truck is it doesn't keep steady speed. It slows down and the cruise finally kicks in after the speed drops about 5mph. This isn't very economic for saving fuel.

I've also tried midgrade as well as premium and get the same numbers.

So I put in the K&N already and filled up my truck last night. I'll be doing the oil change to full synthetic this weekend. I'm going to wait and get numbers from this first before I change the plugs so I can have some break down of the results instead of everything done together.
Synthetic oil gains will vary with brand. I have noticed no MPG difference in my Ram. My honda went from around 28 in town to about 32 (hand calc, no EVIC), just on synthetic oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
That sounds like an unreasonable gain (although his starting mpg seems way off for that car...). Biggest factors in mpg are tire pressure, cruising speed, and rate of acceleration. Plugs, air filter, etc. usually only become critical if they are ignored or not serviced properly. Many new vehicles use longer lasting iridium plugs that can go 100,000 miles. My 4.7L uses iridium on the lower bank (good for 100,000 miles) and I believe copper on the upper bank (I think good for 30,000 to 50,000 miles or something like that). I have nearly 60,000 miles on original plugs and runs fine and gets good mpg.
Plugs do make a difference, but not unless you go WELL beyond the service interval (at least in the 4th gen trucks, I cant speak for others). I had 64k on mine when I changed them. They were in need of it, for sure, but my MPG did not change significantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yates367 View Post
Ok, well no increase in mileage with the synthetic either. But it did create an oil leak. Went back to conventional Sunday, oil leak gone...
Sorry, Not buying the oil leak theory...I have had synthetic in ever vehicle I have owned for 10+ years now, Even in cars that were 20+ years old, never got a leak from synthetic oil...EVER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzer View Post
You got an oil leak from switching to synthetic? Something is wrong...I've run full synthetic in the last 5 vehicles I've had, for the past 15 years. I've never, ever, had an oil leak caused by the oil. Ever!

There's more reasoning behind the leak than the mere fact of going synthetic.
^ Truth.

Now, with that said, here is what I have found in the way of MPG gains. Bear in mind you have a 2006 4.7, so you will get nowhere near the MPG of a 2008+4.7 (though you should be higher than you are now).

People are willing to spend $200+ on an intake, $500+ on exhaust, and even up to $1500 on a taller gear set in the diffs, for 1-2mpg total gain. It will take YEARS for the mods people do for the sake of MPG to pay for themselves...if they ever do. Most of the gas saving mods are big money, and they make the truck sound better, so you want to keep your foot in it, which burns more gas.

Me? I just drive my truck, to hell with it

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
seltzer is on a distinguished road

Preach on Brotha! I 100% agree. It's a truck, don't expect MPG! Be happy with what ya got!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

My thoughts are that mpg's to horsepower is a ratio of how "healthy" the truck is. If I can keep my horsepower relatively the same, and get better gas mileage in addition to personalizing it and making it more to my liking, it's money well spent. But... on the other hand, I'm not one to jump in on the $300 intake. DIY mods and a k&N are good enough for me, with my new programmer on the way that is.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzer View Post
Preach on Brotha! I 100% agree. It's a truck, don't expect MPG! Be happy with what ya got!
Took the words right out of my mouth...
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.