DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^I actually like that idea, just disconnect the drive shaft and strap it up, as long as it's secure...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

My dad had a 5.2L in a 1994 dakota. He hauled a 12' Slide-in bed camper and a 18' Bayliner capri behind it with NO issues other than fuel economy. The 318 is a BEAST.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:30
Ryan421 is on a distinguished road

Where can i find a Transmission cooler and where could i mount the gauge?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:11
GearHd6 is on a distinguished road

Just be smart while towing, you won't need any of that stuff. It's not like you're towing with a 4cyl Tacoma or something. That truck is designed to work, just don't overdo it.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree, you don't NEED anything else. Just common sense. Don't try cruising at 80mph.

You should have a trans cooler built in to the radiator anyway. A guage may be helpful but just depends how much work you want to do.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:67
Race1Mopar will become famous soon enough

Lots of good advice. I recommend adding helper air bags between the leaf springs and the frame rails. I have the firestone helper bags that T with a single air input added inside the fuel filler door. I tow a vehicle every now and then, all 4 wheels up on a trailer, about 250 miles. i do have a trans cooler, a bit more power and having the air bags keeps the front wheels planted well for steering and braking. The main thing is to take it slow, be smart, listen to your truck when towing.
Joe
Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Well, Ryan, as you can see, there are lots of differing opinions out there. 1st, decide on your choice of conveyor for the ford. Either has its positives and negatives. If you had a diesel pull vehicle, etc etc. fact is, you have a 1/2 ton pickup, probably with a box with stuff in it , to begin with. I used to do DITY moves, made money doing PCS ing that way. A trailer is terrific, but trailers are heavy. Car dollies are light, and simple to tie a vehicle down on, without damage. My dolly has to have the steering head of the tow'ee unlocked, because the dolly steers like a car, with tie rods, etc, not a central kingpin. either are OK, but I liked the spindle / tierod type, seemed stronger to me. My car hauler trailer is an 07, but just the decking and ramps probably weigh what that mustang weigh. Theres lighter trailers, but theres a lot of 'clop-clops' on the highway between NC and CA, for a light duty trailer's welds to crack, and a new dolly will probably cost you $750, MAX and it'll sell quick at a military base, after you've used it, probably for exactly what you bought it for. I use a light bar, because a MT cop named Barney Fife didn't like the factory installed lights on the dolly, because they were >36" from the rear of the car, frankly, I believe he didn't like 70 Charger R/Ts.There's very low tongue weight with a dolly to point your lights in the wrong direction, unless, you are a stargazer. You will hardly notice the vehicle behind you. Anyhow, do as you wish. A tranny temp gauge is a good idea with any automatic, My Duramax Allison has a factory gauge, that truck was built to pull. They didn't want warranty claims. Your truck has a light. When it comes on, it's generally already damaged. I screw mine to the side of the 4wd shifter plastic mount,the wiring is self explanatory, with the kit. clip nuts secure it. A tranny cooler can be ziptied easily to the front of the ac condenser, hoses run to the pass side of the heat exchangers, take the coils totally out of the loop, by bypassing the radiator completely, you just don't need to heat the tranny with coolant heat, in the part of the world you live in. leaving it inline is OK, If you were going north, I'd recommend it, but you are in the heat. The trans you have is not noted for liking a heavy pull, but in my experience, if you keep that externally adjustable band adjusted properly, so you get a good solid 1/2 shift, the transmissions I own, have never given grief, and they work hard, on and around the farm. Anyhow, WHether you use a trailer or dolly, either are a better choice than a towbar, I've been that route, as well, and do not recommend them, been all over the country with them, too. pretty tough on tires, etc. braking while turning can be quite hair-raising... Good luck!!! PS. Theres gauges & coolers on ebay all the time, or Advance, or Rockauto, Autozone, etc. both for prob $110 or less...

Last edited by Screamintrashcan; 02-23-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Addendum...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8
Color: Red
Rep:30
Ryan421 is on a distinguished road

OK basically i think my plan is going to be with the trailer all 4 wheels up, traveling at 60-65mph taking it slow with frequent stops turning overdrive off i plan on buying a cooler and gauge for my tranny, over the next couple weeks i will be getting my tranny checked out, rear differential oil checked rear suspension checked out, and more. so anything else feel free to drop your info
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 PM

That sounds like a great plan. You won't have any issues and with a gauge and cooler you will be able to monitor what's going on with your trans. I'm not sure if the older transmissions run hotter (I'd bet they do at least a little) but for reference, my trans has never gone over about 180 deg even when towing in FL heat. So I'd say if you start climbing above 200 deg you should start considering that as "too hot".

Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

Sounds like ur on the right path, good luck and semper fi!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance