DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
brettman is on a distinguished road
Default Towing a race car trailer - suggestions?

I have a 28' Pace American Shadow race trailer that a currently tow with a F250. I set this trailer on the back of my new Express 1500 and the coil springs collapsed. I then installed 10,000 weight distribution bars and it is a little better, but not good enough that I would want to drive it.

Has anyone installed air bags in the rear coil springs?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

How about the integrated brake controller; does anyone have feedback on the performance?

Thanks,
Brett
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

These guys sell the best helper bags available for our trucks

http://www.totalloadcontrolsuspensions.com/

I would steer clear of Airlift 1000 for your particular application, they will pop under the load. In this case, the AirLift 1000 will only lift 1000lbs and you are likely around 3000lbs tongue weight.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-19-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: ST
blk2011st is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I would steer clear of Airlift 1000 for your particular application, they will pop under the load. In this case, the AirLift 1000 will only lift 1000lbs and you are likely around 3000lbs tongue weight.
3000lb tongue weight?? Are we talking about a fifth wheel? Most class IV hitches are rated at 1000lb tongue weight.

Do you know the total gross weight of your trailer?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk2011st View Post
3000lb tongue weight?? Are we talking about a fifth wheel? Most class IV hitches are rated at 1000lb tongue weight.

Yeah, I was curious about that figure. Man, a 3000 pound tongue weight on a rear hitch style setup would be crazy...wouldn't it? The Pace site looks like his Shadow 28 may be a rear hitch/bumper enclosed model. It has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. It looks like it comes with a 2000 pound tongue jack, so hopefully the tongue weight never approaches 3000 pounds. I don't know...depending on how he's loading that trailer, I wonder if the 1500 Express is the right pickup for this?...coil springs or not.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: ST
blk2011st is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Yeah, I was curious about that figure. Man, a 3000 pound tongue weight on a rear hitch style setup would be crazy...wouldn't it? The Pace site looks like his Shadow 28 may be a rear hitch/bumper enclosed model. It has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. It looks like it comes with a 2000 pound tongue jack, so hopefully the tongue weight never approaches 3000 pounds. I don't know...depending on how he's loading that trailer, I wonder if the 1500 Express is the right pickup for this?...coil springs or not.
A 10,000lb GVWR trailer is in the ball park of exceding the limits on the RAM, depending on how the truck is equipped. I think it will be ok with the airlift 1000 kit as long as you watch your tongue weight and how you load the trailer.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Get the Total Load Control setup for extra suspension

The tongue jack is rated at 2000 pounds, not the tongue weight on the hitch

You really need to add the Electric Brake Controller, at that weight it is a must

Max GVWR is 10,000 pounds, payload in the trailer is 5570 pounds

What is the Express model, standard cab, quad cab, crew cab ??
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk2011st View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Thats my bad, typing in a dark room without a lit keyboard. 3000 was supposed to be 1000.

OP, I have ALOT (I do mean alot) of experience towing and hauling heavy loads. Having been in the army, and on 3 combat tours, for the better part of a decade now, I have seen and driven just about everything there is to drive, from tanks, to Route Clearance Vehicles, to pickup trucks. Some are VERY heavy, and some are bone stock trucks guys like you and me drive everyday.

Towing this trailer, you have already noticed something profound almost as soon as you set your trailer on your hitch. Your truck went from raked (the front end lower than the rear), to squatting. Your coil springs collapsed under the weight, and while that does not pose a problem to your truck immediately, it can, over time. Towing a load as heavy as this with the 4th gen Ram requires some additional help, due to the smooth riding coil spring Multi-Link rear suspension. Coils were put in the ram because they ride smoother, but they are your worst enemy when towing/hauling heavy. Thats where the good folks at Total Load Control Suspensions come in. TLC John will not only hook you up with great customer service, but Ramforumz members even get discounted pricing on their kits. This system is designed and patented specifically for 2009+ Ram 1500's. It will work in conjuction with your coil springs to improve load handling, reduce wear and tear on your coil springs, and even helps with unladen ride comfort and stability.

Shoot TLC John, or myself a message, and we can get you on your way to comfortable and safe towing. Happy Travels!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...