DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue/Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:36
MadSoul87 is on a distinguished road

HEY ya got a buddy with a 3G up here in PA IDWB!! lol. When do we get to see that stuff installed?? I really can't wait to see the gains from all that.

My Build Page
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102923
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Har har har guys.

No, I've made VERY sure the storage fees are paid regularly, it's not just my truck goodies that reside in there, but all my gear from my old appartment before I moved in with the wife-to-be. The truck stuff's probably worth more though

If all goes to plan, I'll be getting to the engine work next week when I'm home, but work will probably try to pull some stupid stuff with me again so we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

I love when work does that. Had half my suspension on the front end ripped apart and work called because someone lost my paperwork and I had to come fix it. I really enjoy that.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The new mods will start getting done tomorrow! A friend is letting me borrow some space in his garage for the entire week for the engine work that I'll be tackling and hopefully I remember to take pics through the entire process.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Not to be mean or nothing, not bein threatening or nothin at all just... You will remember to take pics, bad things happen when pics don't get posted ya know? lol.. people start not believin that work has been done that has been said that it is done.. Well am done with the mob boss impression. Can't wait to see the pics!

My Build Page
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

Yea see.... the masses have spoken. WE WANT PICS!

Haha
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSoul87 View Post
You will remember to take pics, bad things happen when pics don't get posted ya know
Let's rephrase that just a little bit... you WILL remember to take pics.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 AM
I push the skinny pedal

I have new batteries in the camera and an empty memory card, have no fear.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:04 AM

^^^See what happens with friendly persuasion lmao. Sounds like you're a man with a plan!

My Build Page
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

I got started on the mods today. Has a setback right off the get-go... I had to drive the fiancee to work so I could use her car, so I ended up getting started at 930, not the 7am I had originally hoped for. After getting everything squared away, and having the ground rules set by my friend for using his shop, I got started.

Here are some general tips:
1. You will need a compression-fitting disconnect tool, and don't buy the cheap plastic ones, spend the extra $3 and get the folding metal one, they last longer and give you more leverage to remove the compression fittings.
2. Take your time and bag/label all of your fasteners so you don't lose anything and this makes reassembly a lot easier.
3. If you care about your garage floor, lay some large cardboard down to prevent stains. If you don't care then just keep a bag or three of floor dry handy for the end of the job.

The obligatory starting photo:

I started with removing the negative battery cable, after that the CAI and the serpentine belt, nice and simple. Just remember to slowly release the tensioner and not let it slam back to it's fully relaxed position.

Once the easy stuff was done it was time to get dirty, I hate dealing with coolant, but this job was to involve LOTS of coolant getting everywhere. A set of channel lock pliers makes the hose removal really easy, just think of the way the fluid will want to run. Start by removing the radiator cap, then opening the petcock on the bottom of the rad using a 16mm. Let this drain and since it will take a while to do so, I began to prep the radiator for removal by removing the hoses and the t-stat from its housing. Sorry for the blurry photo.

To start with, I removed the power steering cooler from the bottom of the radiator and let it hang on its own, I also removed the power steering pump from the timing cover.

Since I don't have the OEM coolant/washer fluid reservoir and run an electric fan, the removal of the radiator was really easy. I removed the transmission cooler lines and let them drain out. Then I pulled the 2x 10mm bolts at the top of the radiator and it literally pulls right out.

Next up is the accessory removal: The alternator is really simple, remove the charging cable and the 2x 15mm long bolts and it pulls free. The A/C is a little more difficult, there are the same 2x 15mm bolts on the front, but you still need to remove a 13mm bolt that connects the compressor to the block. For both of these, having a large prybar makes removal a lot easier, so after the bolts have been removed, just start prying them out slowly rocking back and forth.

Pull the water pump next, there's still coolant trapped inside of it, so you'll need to pull it off slowly or you'll be wearing it all. Mine had a broken blade so I will be replacing it with a new unit that I plan to pretty up a bit before installation, which means paint it black to match the timing cover.

You then need to remove the coil packs, wiring harness, fuel rails, injectors, vacuum lines, throttle body, and the 10x 8mm bolts holding the intake manifold then it will just pull straight up and out. I will be installing a 6.1L intake manifold so I have marked my engine harness since I will need to pull it out of the loom and move some wires around. When removing the fuel lines, follow the fuel-rail depressurizing procedure. I had the battery disconnected for long enough that the fuel system was no longer pressurized.