I got started on the mods today. Has a setback right off the get-go... I had to drive the fiancee to work so I could use her car, so I ended up getting started at 930, not the 7am I had originally hoped for. After getting everything squared away, and having the ground rules set by my friend for using his shop, I got started.
Here are some general tips:
1. You will need a compression-fitting disconnect tool, and don't buy the cheap plastic ones, spend the extra $3 and get the folding metal one, they last longer and give you more leverage to remove the compression fittings.
2. Take your time and bag/label all of your fasteners so you don't lose anything and this makes reassembly a lot easier.
3. If you care about your garage floor, lay some large cardboard down to prevent stains. If you don't care then just keep a bag or three of floor dry handy for the end of the job.
The obligatory starting photo:
I started with removing the negative battery cable, after that the CAI and the serpentine belt, nice and simple. Just remember to slowly release the tensioner and not let it slam back to it's fully relaxed position.
Once the easy stuff was done it was time to get dirty, I hate dealing with coolant, but this job was to involve LOTS of coolant getting everywhere. A set of channel lock pliers makes the hose removal really easy, just think of the way the fluid will want to run. Start by removing the radiator cap, then opening the petcock on the bottom of the rad using a 16mm. Let this drain and since it will take a while to do so, I began to prep the radiator for removal by removing the hoses and the t-stat from its housing. Sorry for the blurry photo.
To start with, I removed the power steering cooler from the bottom of the radiator and let it hang on its own, I also removed the power steering pump from the timing cover.
Since I don't have the OEM coolant/washer fluid reservoir and run an electric fan, the removal of the radiator was really easy. I removed the transmission cooler lines and let them drain out. Then I pulled the 2x 10mm bolts at the top of the radiator and it literally pulls right out.
Next up is the accessory removal: The alternator is really simple, remove the charging cable and the 2x 15mm long bolts and it pulls free. The A/C is a little more difficult, there are the same 2x 15mm bolts on the front, but you still need to remove a 13mm bolt that connects the compressor to the block. For both of these, having a large prybar makes removal a lot easier, so after the bolts have been removed, just start prying them out slowly rocking back and forth.
Pull the water pump next, there's still coolant trapped inside of it, so you'll need to pull it off slowly or you'll be wearing it all. Mine had a broken blade so I will be replacing it with a new unit that I plan to pretty up a bit before installation, which means paint it black to match the timing cover.
You then need to remove the coil packs, wiring harness, fuel rails, injectors, vacuum lines, throttle body, and the 10x 8mm bolts holding the intake manifold then it will just pull straight up and out. I will be installing a 6.1L intake manifold so I have marked my engine harness since I will need to pull it out of the loom and move some wires around. When removing the fuel lines, follow the fuel-rail depressurizing procedure. I had the battery disconnected for long enough that the fuel system was no longer pressurized.