Here are some in progress shots, thank god my friend had a big shop, I have a very bad tendancy to spread out when I'm working on stuff!
The next day I started to tackle the accessories, fuel system, vacuum lines, and wiring. I apparently did not take any photos of the fuel system, but i used the Billet Technology -8AN fuel rails, Speedlogix cross-over kit, many -8AN fittings from my local speed shop, as well some good ol' trial and error. I also had to mount my nitrous management unit at this point so I would not have to bleed the fuel system down to install the nitrous on my next set of days off.
Let's look at the accessories. Both the alternator and the A/C compressor reuse the old mounting bolts, so be sure to keep the around and label them accordingly as I had stated to do in an earlier post. The alternator is VERY straight forward, it just bolts into place, simple. I did run the alternator-fuse box wire under the intake manifold as there is lots of room and it really keeps everything tidy.
The A/C compressor has been getting in my way this entire time and has been a headache... so why should that change?
Getting this to fit does require permanent modification of the unit. You need to cut off a mounting lug that is no longer used once you use the new bracket.
Once this lug is removed, the usit just drops into place and bolts up nicely.
Here's what it looks like once everything is mounted properly
Next up is the wiring. There are 3 things that need to be rerouted, and they are the MAP sensor plug, IAT sensor plug, and the throttle body plug. The MAP sensor wiring is long enough once you remove all the OEM looming to reach the back of the manifold where the 6.1L MAP sensor is located. The ones that require modification are the TB and the IAT plugs. You can see that the plug isn't long enough to reach the new locations.
I spliced and soldered one foot of 22ga lead to each of the wires in the harnesses as that was enough to reach the new locations. Every time I do a modification there must me some sort of personal injury, it's inevitable, and typically painful. Now is the time for that injury... I ended up trying to solder my thumb to the soldering iron and that made the remaining 2 days interesting since I was now only working with 1 good thumb.
After treating my thumb for second degree burns and being laughed at by my friend (what else are friends good for?) I moved on to the vacuum lines. There are 2 that need to be dealt with. The easy one is the Master Cylinder line. Using a 54"length of vacuum rated 3/8" hose (I used rad/oil heater hose) I plugged it into the back of the 6.1L manifold's port (next to the MAP sensor) and routed the hose around the back of the motor to plug into the master cyclinder's vacuum port. Simple.
The harder one is the small 1/4" vacuum line to the device below the fuse box. I have no idea what it is to be honest, but having looked at all of the hemi powere vehicles, it's there, I just wish I knew what it was called.
You can see that I cut the existing hose away from the main fitting as this allowed to me use some regular synflex line (available from your local parts store, or if you're lucky to have a parts jeep like my friend did).
Using the rubber coupler from the old intake manifold, I ran the line up and beside the #1 coil pack and to the vacuum port on the driver-side of the intake manifold directly behind the throttle body. Using a 8" piece of rubber hose I made a nice gentle sweep to the *unknown named device* and then for appearance's sake, wraped it all in looming.
With that all completed I mounted the power steering pump, belt tensioner, idler pulleys, and hooked the heater core hoses back up to the water pump. Then I ran the new serpentine belt. You can see the new routing of the belt; it is not the same as OEM and has much less contact with the underdrive pulley. The belt used is the same length as the stock one, just different routing.
Mounted the radiator, the new Legmaker carbon fiber Hammer intake, Big Bully catch can, relocated the washer fluid tank, filled the rad, did an oil change, hooked the transmission cooler lines back up and made a few cosmetic changes.
Here is the final product! A total of 42 hours of work, one burnt thumb and sore back/knees, a few choice curse words, support and help from a great friend, a mad fiancee, and one bad assed truck... audio/video will coming, but my camera sucks at video and sound.